Do They Know A U2 Tour Is Starting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaly

The Fly
As I read post, after post, after post about how much money people are spending to see a rock concert, I can't help but wonder what good all this money would do for AIDS in Africa. As Bono states, we're a culture living in ignorance. How does Bono feel about people shelling out thousands of dollars to see a concert and not give half as much to save lives? I'm not pointing fingers here, because I'm part of the problem too, but I think there is something wrong with cheering the messenger, but not supporting the message. Granted, a lot of U2's profits will benefit others... but why should this band do all the work? Are U2 fans actively donating to causes other than ticket brokers? I'm not. Perhaps it's time I should. Anyone with me?

I've also thought about that... but I keep falling into this

Is a thing big nations and the world should do. If we wait for every person to ndonate something, we'll be waiting too much. That's what the goverments are for... to canalize things, to make millions of thinking into one.

I'm not trying to justify our tour spending, BUT I think that really being involved and personally connected means more than just setting aside money. Not that this isn't helpful or important, but it just seems that sometimes in the West, we do a great job of disassociating by throwing money at problems and calling it good enough. If we all matched our tour spending, we could maybe open a new AIDS clinic or feed a bunch of people, but in the end, is that really getting down to the core, the root of the problem? I think poverty and the AIDS pandemic in Africa are a result of structural issues that we could only really fix by making it known that we WANT it fixed, yesterday. We have to be willing to actually stand up and say "no, this is where the gov't/elected leaders are wrong and this is how I want it changed." Am I making any sense?

Haven't you read the thread "White wristbands displayed at the concert"???
All the little U2 sheep are planning to shell out another couple bucks to have something to wear to the concert.

Last edited:
Hard call. Perhaps U2 could do like the Beastie Boys have done and donate $1 or $2 from each concert ticket to give to DATA, etc. The Beasties give the Humane Society and other charities with some of their ticket proceeds.

We can throw pennies at the problem, and I'm not discussing what people do or don't do with their own money, but if people are really trying to make changes for a country like Africa they need to to be pressuring their own country to drop debts and agressively pursue legislature that would allow AIDS medication and such get to the people that truly need it. The cost of a stamp to a state representative is negligible and takes little effort to write letters and such to government reps and the like. Recall Bono's shock at how the millions raised for LiveAid didn't seem to crack the problem....that's when he learned it's because African countries spend that much money annually paying off bad debts incurred. It's a lot more complicated than all that....

I'm pissed off at people trying to make me feel guilty about Africa's problems:mad: That continent needs to take a hard look at its self and realise its often the fault of the ruling governments who rape and pillage their own population.They need to sort that out first:mad: :mad:

Who is to say that the people spending thousands on entertainment are not also donating to the worlds worries?

People, including those well off are entitled to enjoyment.

A concert tour is not something that should make people feel guilty. If it does, they should go see the tour AND donate, not one or the other...

Back
Top Bottom