Do people smoke pot at U2 shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True, but my first U2 concert I was 19 and I was very very drunk. I woke up the next morning not remembering anything at all. I just didn't know how much drink was too much.
But you know what, I'm the only one that paid the price. The very high price and the higher price of not remembering a $2000 concert of my favourite band in the whole wide world that I would go on to support and adore for the next 8 years...
And for a person to tell me that I was front middle stage dancer right in front of Bono but more interested in dancing around...well....(squeezes lemon on the papercut)....

I'm STILL kicking myself in the ass for that show. And yes it hurts!

Edited to say that I did enjoy a later PopMart concert and Elevation concert totally stone sober. :|

Bobo U2 said:
I hope we will be in Amsterdam....
I wouldn't light up in a show indoors these days....I'm not getting kicked out of a U2 show. I partake before the show.

mmm that would ruin it for me i think, gotta be straight for a concert!

I know this sounds harsh. But I really do wish that security would ask people to put out their pot and if they get caught again they need to be thrown out of the show. Because it is a violation of the rights of the people that dont want to breathe in the smoke. Same goes for cigarrettes and rowdy drunks. One warning, then you are out so you can't ruin somebody else's fun.

LoveTown said:
I know this sounds harsh. But I really do wish that security would ask people to put out their pot and if they get caught again they need to be thrown out of the show. Because it is a violation of the rights of the people that dont want to breathe in the smoke. Same goes for cigarrettes and rowdy drunks. One warning, then you are out so you can't ruin somebody else's fun.

NO WAY! Your not being harsh at all! I think they should not be given a warning hell that stuff is iligal! If you get cought with a gun do they just give you a warning? no they arrest you! If you rob a store do they give you a warning? no they arrest you. And those PUNKS who smoke pot in a show with out respecting others should not only be thrown out, they should be arrested. ANd at the door they should check for pot all the time and if they find it, not only should they be arrested but not allowed in the concert! And as for drunks!!!!!! if they couse a scene or spill beer on people or the typical very drunk behaviour, they should be thrown out and be fined for being drunk in public. Now i don't think this is harsh enought. it should be zero tolarance cos i am sick of people making the decisions for me when i don't want to breath in the dammed smoke!

Not harsh at all. They shouldn't have it in the first place, especially when it is illegal. I would not feel an ounce of pity for them. And Dabiggestu2fan - great points made earlier.

Wow how times have changed.

And for all these people whining how terrible it is to need to do that at or before a show maybe you should realize that the band themselves blaze before the show.

Last time they played NYC on elevation their was a story in both the Daily news and the NY post about how the soon to be Mayor Bloomberg went to meet the band prior to the show and how when brought into the backstage room to meet them he was gretted with a huge smoke cloud and it wasn't cigarette smoke so this story along with the fact that Adam has been busted for carrying his stash shows that not only people in the audience participate in this type of behavior.

That's all fine and good. They can smoke pot 15 times a day if they want. However, they're not standing next to me in a crowd and forcing me to inhale it.

Do you really think the boys light up? I don't know why but I would be kind of glad to know that they did---I love naughty things about them. I used to partake myself--but sort of grew out of it. Can't say I haven't been tempted though.

nathan1977 said:

B) simply serve as a gateway drug to other, more dangerous forms of intoxication.

Slippery slopes only run in one direction.

I've been perusing this thread, and won't enter the debate.

But I do like the Gateway Drug argument -- it is probably true the group of people that have "moved on" to worse drugs, crack, coke, heroin, have all done pot.

What our media / government don't articulate is the number of people who have tried pot AND NEVER moved on to anything worse. If those numbers were available, my hunch is that the Gateway Drug argument loses steam.

By the way, if we are worried about gateway drugs, why not stop the gate at alchohol and tobacco -- they both alter experience, at least to some degree. And I'd be willing to be that 100% of the people that have tried pot and moved on to worse drugs, have imbibed in alcohol.

If we were serious about stopping abuse of pot, heroin, and whatever else by stopping people from entering the magical gateway and down that slippery slope, we'd ban alcohol.

But, we aren't, so we don't.

JR#9 said:

Last time they played NYC on elevation their was a story in both the Daily news and the NY post about how the soon to be Mayor Bloomberg went to meet the band prior to the show and how when brought into the backstage room to meet them he was gretted with a huge smoke cloud and it wasn't cigarette smoke so this story along with the fact that Adam has been busted for carrying his stash shows that not only people in the audience participate in this type of behavior.

Could very well be true that they do but they are in a private dressing room doing it not on stage blowing it at others. I really have no issue with someone wanting to do it (it's their own body) but I just wish people would be considerate of others. Just because they may light up still doesn't make it cool to me.

JR#9 said:
Wow how times have changed.

And for all these people whining how terrible it is to need to do that at or before a show maybe you should realize that the band themselves blaze before the show.

What the band does has no impact on whether or not I do it. I hate this attempted use of U2's behaviour to justify something - it's essentially argumentum ad verecundiam, an argument appealling to great men (in this case, U2) to artificially strengthen a case and provide the illusion of proof.

Also, hasn't Adam sworn off drugs and such since he missed the first Sydney show in November 1993? I was under the impression he was 'clean' by Elevation at least.

It's a rock concert...there's gonna be pot, cigarettes, beer, etc whether people like it or not. Get over it.

Yeah it's there, and it IS a part of going to a rock concert, but I still don't like having smoke blown in my face or beer spilled on me. :wink:

Raid said:
It's a rock concert...there's gonna be pot, cigarettes, beer, etc whether people like it or not. Get over it.

The "roll over and accept it" defeatist mentality isn't for me.

I agree with you. It is this mentalety that pot heads have that make them smoke where ever they please cos they think oh its a rock concert so we can smoke and who cares about other people??? i bet if your going to the movies you wouldn't be smoking would you? cos you have to respect the other people there well a concert should be the same... you should respect others just like you would at the movies!

Axver said:

The "roll over and accept it" defeatist mentality isn't for me.

I saw Zoo TV stoned. And it was fun, really fun. Really, really, really fun. I also saw 2 Popmart stoned. Again, fun, fun, fun. Elevation in NYC 6/19 stoned. Fun, fun, fun.

Oh, and you can't get a contact high in an arena. Someone's dorm room? yep. An arena or stadium. Nope. Not possible. Argue all you want, it's not possible. Unless the people were smoking a 3 foot bong and kissing the smoke into your lungs.

MrBrau1 said:
I saw Zoo TV stoned. And it was fun, really fun. Really, really, really fun. I also saw 2 Popmart stoned. Again, fun, fun, fun. Elevation in NYC 6/19 stoned. Fun, fun, fun.

Oh, and you can't get a contact high in an arena. Someone's dorm room? yep. An arena or stadium. Nope. Not possible. Argue all you want, it's not possible. Unless the people were smoking a 3 foot bong and kissing the smoke into your lungs.

I really don't care if you can or you cant. But what i care is for respect of others and if you spark a joint in the concert your disrespecting your fellow fans around you and i don't care what you say. the smell is very strong and disgusting no matter whether your in a dorm or in the stadium!!! Plus if you need to get stoned to enjoy a U2 concert your bisicaly insulting U2 cos your telling them that you need chemicals in order to enjoy their concert cos its "too lame" without drugs!

PST i have no respect nor sympathy for people who get stoned in the concert. Before or after the concert in your own room fine but if you come and start smoking beside me you bet ill be pissed.

:eyebrow: I wont say anything....I'm just refraining, Sorry, I don't spend a ton of money to see a good band play, sit through the concert "stoned" wake up, and not remember any of it. Thats complete idiocity to me. Sorry if you're someone who does that but thats my view on it.

dabiggestu2fan said:

I really don't care if you can or you cant. But what i care is for respect of others and if you spark a joint in the concert your disrespecting your fellow fans around you and i don't care what you say. the smell is very strong and disgusting no matter whether your in a dorm or in the stadium!!! Plus if you need to get stoned to enjoy a U2 concert your bisicaly insulting U2 cos your telling them that you need chemicals in order to enjoy their concert cos its "too lame" without drugs!

PST i have no respect nor sympathy for people who get stoned in the concert. Before or after the concert in your own room fine but if you come and start smoking beside me you bet ill be pissed.

You really need to smoke a joint.

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
:eyebrow: I wont say anything....I'm just refraining, Sorry, I don't spend a ton of money to see a good band play, sit through the concert "stoned" wake up, and not remember any of it. Thats complete idiocity to me. Sorry if you're someone who does that but thats my view on it.

You really think that's what happens? You smoke a joint, then "sleep through the concert"? That's not what happens.

I like people smoking pot at U2 shows.

I hate people who sit at U2 concerts, that's a bigger problem than pot. I actually had to shove a guy who told me to "sit down" during Streets. And I'm not a fighter, I'm a lover.

I hate people who don't know all the songs at U2 concerts. Those people shouldn't be there.

I hate people who spend the whole show talking. Shut up and listen.

And I hate people who fart at U2 concerts. It smells bad, and isn't necessary, go to the bathroom.

Last edited:
Pot is not like alcohol where you dont remember what you did the night before.

If you are going to smoke pot in public, then for godsake clean the seeds out first. Nothing I hate more that the smell of burning seeds.

Edgette said:

:yes:

And keep it over at Adam's end of the stage. I want to concentrate on Edge. :wink:

I don't think that would be very nice though, Adam said his next thing to try and give up is smoking, he's been sober for 10 years. Felt cigarrettes were next to get rid of, more power to him.

I'm surprised about pot in the GA though? I went to LA 1 and 2, definitely noticed it at LA 2 when I had nosebleeds behind the stage. Thought it was just up in the rafters where that happened.

Pot smells like someone "let one go".

Beer at concerts, ripoff. Food at concerts, rip off. Not like McDonalds is slumming.

I have followed this debate and I can see 2 things being mixed here that shouldn't be, if you ask me :

1) Consideration for people around you.

2) Whether or not smoking pot makes you : a law-breaking stoner who has a need to enhance reality or zone-out OR supercool and liberated.

My thoughts :
1) If we're talking about being considerate for people around you, I believe that alcohol, cigarettes and pot should be prohibited at concerts because drunk people are downright annoying and a lot of people cannot stand to be around smoke of any kind. Simple as that. Appearantly, big crowds need to be babied and can't be expected to be considerate as individuals so you either have to have nazi-like (no pun intended) security enforcing people to behave somewhat normal OR you simply have to prohibit these things.
But, summarizing, I can imagine that the people that stumble around spilling beer over the people next to them or turning agressive or whatever, aren't the most considerate people outside a U2-concert-setting anyway, they're most likely like that whenever they go out. Hmpf.
Pot-smoker does not equal being rude and inconsiderate. I'd say that's a tad simplistic. I'd personally light up AFTER the gig though with some good friends, and then yap yap yap till the sun comes up about how awesome it was :)

2) The pot-thing : Honestly, some of you are exaggerating the negative effects of pot SO much. Granted, I live in Belgium, close to Holland - where I'm sure you know, pot is legal - and joints are considered pretty normal among most types of people. (young, old, working, not working etc). Personally, having been around quite a lot of pot-smokers, I'd definately prefer being around someone who's somewhat stoned than someone who's been drinking. Smoking pot is a relaxed, peaceful thing, it's not agressive.
As for it being a gateway drug to hard-drugs : I definately agree. But there also, drugs are stigmatized. It's perfectly possible to combine job/sports/friends with the occasional drug-use.
After all, alcohol is a potential drug. Food is a potential drug (hello, chocolate?). Sports is a potential drug (runners high). Work is a potential drug.

It all depends on your own frame of mind. People can take any activity and turn it into something abusive and destructive and addictive.

Last edited:
:applaud: the soul awaits.

In all the years of going to gigs, big and small, it's always been there, all of them, drunks, those talking and/or sitting down, snoggers :mad: and dope smokers. And you know what, apart from having to run from a fight at a ska gig, it's not bothered me. I still manage to jump around, dance and sing (badly :wink: ) and enjoy the reason why I forked out the spondooliks to be there.

It's like getting squashed in the mosh pit down the front, when you go to a concert you have to expect these things to be there.

It's not a church service, it's a rock concert!

(BTW, I don't partake myself, if you're wondering what my position is)

Lets do a chemical analysis of the hot dog you are eating while MrBrau1 smokes his chronic.

By the way, no one was smoking on the 20th of April in Denver. No one. :wink:

When did U2 become the band that old people and conservatives liked, and worse the band catered to?? [/gross overstatement used for satirical humor that no one that goes to church will get] Bono needs to say fuck a hell of a lot more. Agreed, this energy used in this thread alone should be channelled to fighting sitting at a U2 concert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom