Did they do the bull fight during UTEOTW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i might be one of the few who doesnt mind that the bullfight is missing...

why? though i thought it was great at ZooTV and Popmart, it doesnt feel likey they're doing it for the hell of it anymore, it feels forced and "part of the show"...

the idea of involving adam now at the tip and dancing with him during MW....i think thats great and new...

but again, i love the bullfight. but not when they do it all the time because of the reasons mentioned above...

ayearwome said:
It was a bit of a downer. The song wasn't played with its usual focus and energy

Exactly right ... it was a bit boring to me, and after waiting for some new songs to appear and have a mediocre performance,
once we got another new song ... :hmm: Can't understand why
U2 just don't seem to have alot of energy for this tour ... and in Chicago !! Very surprising indeed !! The only performance that I really think contradicts this is "Bad". That song is absolutely one of their BEST overall performances on this tour ... :applaud:

MsMofoGone said:

Exactly right ... it was a bit boring to me, and after waiting for some new songs to appear and have a mediocre performance,
U2 just don't seem to have alot of energy for this tour ... and in Chicago !! Very surprising indeed !! The only performance that I really think contradicts this is "Bad". That song is absolutely one of their BEST overall performances on this tour ... :applaud:

too bad they didn't play it at either show I went too!

DanB said:
I'm pretty sure I read the God/Devil reference somewhere. Battling for the world's soul. And God prevailing.

Crushing Satan with a monstrous guitar. Ah, the power of Edge!

Originally posted by faithingrace

too bad they didn't play it at either show I went too!

Yeah, I know what you're saying here !!
I went to Chicago 1 and 3 besides the 4th show ... and because of NOT hearing new songs UNTIL Chicago 4 ... I felt let-down with
their new song performance ... I was expecting it to be a total
"blown-away mesmerizing effect" and it clearly was not ... Maybe if U2 would have had new songs appear earlier in the Chicago
shows than waiting for the last show ... their performance may have improved for the most part ... and been much better !!

MsMofoGone said:

Yeah, I know what you're saying here !!
I went to Chicago 1 and 3 besides the 4th show ... and because of NOT hearing new songs UNTIL Chicago 4 ... I felt let-down with
their new song performance ... I was expecting it to be a total
"blown-away mesmerizing effect" and it clearly was not ... Maybe if U2 would have had new songs appear earlier in the Chicago
shows than waiting for the last show ... their performance may have improved for the most part ... and been much better !!
are you ever happy?

MsMofoGone said:

I agree! However, I did feel the energy on 5/9 and 5/10. It was hardcore during those shows (I am referencing the band).

I must say that for me these 4 shows were better than the 8 Elevation shows I saw, but that of course is just me.

Bad on 5/7 and 5/12 were amazing! I don't know how they can drop it from a setlist. If a city only has 1 show it should be played no matter what.......too much greatness to leave out!!!

DanB said:
Bullfight? I was under the impression that Bono was playing Satan (hence the horns) and Edge was playing God.

That is always the way I have perceived it. Especially considering the context of the song.

I didn't really mind missing out on the bull-fight for some of the reasons people have already articulated; I found it sort of boring and overly stagey, during Elevation...but, yes, I thought it was money as hell previously. I didn't hate it or anything, either way.

If nothing else, although I know I wouldn't have loved it or anything, it would've been nice to see just to see the band actually DO something. I saw three out of the four Chicago shows (and loved two out of those three), but the band never took off in terms of the physicality of their respective performances. Adam is the notable exception (and Larry...well, he's the drummer--I can't fault him).

It didn't ruin the shows or anything like that, but everybody who I personally know who was in GA said it sucked (unless they were in the ellipse) for them because, relatively speaking, nobody was ever on the ellipse. Anyway, I post this here because I think it's relevant to the whole bull-fight deal, you know? Even though I disapprove of that whole thing, these days, it would've been nice simply because it's SOMETHING, you know?

Sometimes WE can't make it on our own, at these shows, unless there's actually some tangible energy...

If you shout... said:
nobody was ever on the ellipse.

Song and person who used ellipse

Vertigo - Bono
Electric Co - Edge, Adam
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - Bono
Beautiful Day - Bono
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Bono
New Years Day - Adam
Love and Peace - Bono, Larry
Bad - Bono
Where The Streets Have No Name - Bono, Adam
Zoo Station - Bono, Edge
Mysterious Ways - Bono, Adam
Yahweh - Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry
Party Girl - Bono

yep, noone was ever on the ellipse (except for in over half of the songs)

learn2kneel said:

Song and person who used ellipse

Vertigo - Bono
Electric Co - Edge, Adam
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - Bono
Beautiful Day - Bono
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Bono
New Years Day - Adam
Love and Peace - Bono, Larry
Bad - Bono
Where The Streets Have No Name - Bono, Adam
Zoo Station - Bono, Edge
Mysterious Ways - Bono, Adam
Yahweh - Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry
Party Girl - Bono

yep, noone was ever on the ellipse (except for in over half of the songs)

Well-put. I do know what you mean, and you are right.

I know that people make semi-ellipse appearances (and even full ones!), and I wasn't trying to say that they were "NEVER" on the ellipse. What I was doing is employing a rhetorical device called "hyperbole" in which one exagerrates a point to the level of apparent ridiculousness in order better to express or call attention to a more specific issue or point.

Also inherent in my post was the notion of relativism--that is to say, relative to the last tour (and previous, non-ellipse tours in terms of overall energy or what-have-you), nobody's really on the ellipse (...that much). They're out there and they're occasionally inspired while out there (examples you noted such as, most obviously, "Love and Peace or Else"), but doesn't it just not feel the same? Aren't they (ie, Bono) out there a lot less, or seemingly scared of making it ALL the way out...? I dunno. Maybe I'm just insane. But, then again, I know that I'm not. I want to point out that I still loved the shows, too! I don't wanna get lynched or whatever...

But, yeah--as I said, I was just trying to use "Until The End..." (which is what we're supposed to be talking about, so I apologize for steering things off-topic) as a demonstrative example of the lack of energy/presence (as an idea) on the ellipse, etc. That's all. If they WERE out there, I bet they would've just been standing there. I hope I'm wrong, as I don't WANT the band to seem to anesthetized...it's just the way it is. Again...relatively speaking.

Do you know what I mean, or do I really sound like I'm high or something...? I really think that I've got a point, with this...

The song is sung from the point of view of Judas, and the power of the guitar is undoubtably to portray Jesus/God. Especially given the line "I kissed your lips, and broke your heart" at which point Bono kisses the edge, then dashes away. Judas/Satan/Bono vs Jesus/God/Edge are obvious connotations. Bullfighting has little to do with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom