Damian Marley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
And to think some people think they got the shit end of the stick with Kanye or Keane...

I have read reviews of Damian's new album...they all seem to think he is pretty good:up:

Well it'll be interesting at the very least........ If it gets too bad I'll be wandering the halls of the Wachovia Center in Philly. Maybe chillin' at the cigar club?:wink:

ALL of the shows I am going to, I get this guy. I would have preferred ANYONE else, even KOL. I can't believe that Europe got Franz, the Killers, Snow Patrol, and even the parts of N. America got Arcade Fire and Keane. All I get to se for five shows is Damian Marley.

October 16 - November 9th, Neuty

6th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center, Sold Out
Support Act: Damian Marley
17th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center, Sold Out
19th October Washington - DC MCI Center, Sold Out
20th October Washington - DC MCI Center, Sold Out
22nd October Pittsburgh - Mellon Arena, Sold Out
24th October Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills, Sold Out
25th October Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills, Sold Out
28th October Houston - Toyota Center, Sold Out
29th October Dallas - American Airlines Center, Sold Out

01st November Los Angeles - Staples Center, Sold Out
02nd November Los Angeles - Staples Center, Sold Out
04th November Las Vegas - MGM Grand, Sold Out
05th November Las Vegas - MGM Grand, Sold Out
08th November San Francisco - Oakland Arena, Sold Out
09th November San Francisco - Oakland Arena, Sold Out

I heard his performance at the MOBOs over the weekend, and didn't enjoy it at all. It's not that he's bad or anything, but I think you have to be really into that rasta style music to enjoy it. I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

meh, I'm just not into that style of music. It didn't sound like anything you could really get excited about and really get into (live). I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have Dashboard, KOL, or Kanye :reject:

Let's look at it this way though...

U2's going to look that much better after seeing this clown

Would any of these guys be famous if they weren't the spawn of Bob?

You're ignorance is laughable.

Yes they would have been, and have been. His musical style is a fair bit different then his father's.

If you don't like him, don't go, more room for me!

:)

EDIT: here's a great idea - why don't you download his albums, and actually try to listen with an open mind? His patois isn't that heavy, after a while I'm sure you'd pick up a bit of it.

Sounds more like a generalization against reggae/dancehall than anything....sounds kindof familiar...lol..

Last edited:
I listened to his music last night, thanks. It's not for me. If I don't like him, don't go? Okay. I'll give up GAs for U2 cause I don't like the support.

If my ignorance is indeed laughable, at least I know I've always got the ability to discern you're from your and than from then. So I mean, I've got that going for me.

Yeah, his music is not carbon copied from his dad. But do I think he would have got a record deal if his parentage was different? Nope.

inmyplace13 said:
I listened to his music last night, thanks. It's not for me. If I don't like him, don't go? Okay. I'll give up GAs for U2 cause I don't like the support.

If my ignorance is indeed laughable, at least I know I've always got the ability to discern you're from your and than from then. So I mean, I've got that going for me.

Yeah, his music is not carbon copied from his dad. But do I think he would have got a record deal if his parentage was different? Nope.

Haha good one...dont let my slack punctuation fool you, thats laziness. Ignorance is a much worse cancer.

let me ask you, do you like ANY reggae music?

How much of his music did you listen to? You must not like Bob Marley, because Damian covers both his songs and remixes them as well.

That's not to mention both Stephen and Ziggy, both talented in their own right.

Just FYI, this is not Damian's 'big break' - he's been out for a while now, this is his 3rd or 4th signed album.

Your posts are pretty funny - aren't you the Coldplay fan? Where would they be without trying to copy U2?? Likely nowhere.

I'll tell you one thing thats for sure - I've got $50 that says Damian and family will be around making music much longer than most of the opening acts on this tour - Keane, Kanye, Killers, maybe even Franz Ferdinand...we'll see where they are in 5 or so years...but thats not to say I dont like them...in fact, I like them all...get my drift? Closed mindedness sucks, thats what Im trying to say.

:D

PS - theres a big difference between 'his music is not for me' and 'he's a clown' - there is absolutely nothing clownish about his music, that's just plain ignorant talk.

Last edited:
No I don't like reggae. I've heard plenty of it to know that I don't. I don't care if it's Damian's big break or not. The point of my post was that I'm disappointed in the opening acts for that particular set of dates because the ONE show I see all tour, Damian is opening. I love Keane. I love the Arcade Fire. I love Kanye West. I like Snow Patrol, The Bravery, The Killers, and Franz. I can stand Dashboard Confessional in small doses. If I had to draw an opening act out of a hat, Damian is the last one I'd want. His music might be great to you, and I respect that. Just for my personal preference, it was a bit disappointing. And by the looks of the posts up there, I'm not the only one.

Yeah, my posts are hilarious aren't they? Am I the Coldplay fan? Probably I'm the one you're thinking of if you're thinking of Coldplay fans on this board. This thread is not about Coldplay or their "copying" of U2, that's been beaten into the ground already.

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed too. But, I will go listen and check him out anyway.

He probably wouldn't have this gig if it weren't for his heritage. That is the honest truth. Next, U2 will have Lisa Marie Presley opening some shows because of her heritage.

:ohmy:

I wonder if U2 cares whether you like reggae or not.

NOT!!

LOL

Dismissing an entire genre is just plain close minded. There's no way you've heard enough REAL reggae music to dismiss it all in its entirety.

I must be wrong, I could have sworn that you struck out against the Kanye annoucement as well.

To be perfectly honest, yes, I do think that anyone who is upset enough to fucking gripe on these boards about U2's openers, the setlists, the GA lines, pretty much anything to do with it, can bascically bugger off and just not go.

Im pretty much tired of all the negative shit - so as for your little statement about "Im not the only one" - hell, that's nothing to be proud of, believe me.

gabrielvox,

Let's turn it down a notch. Your posts are becoming very aggressive and insulting and that's just not necessary.

The OOTS said:

He probably wouldn't have this gig if it weren't for his heritage. That is the honest truth. Next, U2 will have Lisa Marie Presley opening some shows because of her heritage.

Yeah, that's it - Bono Larry Adam and Edge only listen to rock music.

I'll tell you one thing, Lisa Marie Presley decidely wont ever open for U2.

So there goes the heritage argument

:D

gabrielvox said:
I wonder if U2 cares whether you like reggae or not.

NOT!!

LOL

l0lzzZz!!1111 g4br1eL v0X is So00)o0o funnY!11

Maybe a constructive post such as "I like Damian Marley" would have been a better contribution from you than just stirring shit up.

I didn't speak out against the Kanye announcement. I have both of his records and love his music, the only rap other than Outkast I can really get into.

And as for U2 not caring whether or not I like reggae... well no shit they don't care, I don't expect them to.

HelloAngel said:
gabrielvox,

Let's turn it down a notch. Your posts are becoming very aggressive and insulting and that's just not necessary.

Pretty ironic, dont you think? Im getting agressive about the fact that everytime I come in here there is someone whining this or that about how U2 is not living up to the standard that U2 fans think befitting.

I dont appreciate people insulting musicians who devote their lives to their art. Calling a musician that U2 picks to open a clown and dismissing an entire genre as crap is what has entirely no place here.

inmyplace13 said:

Maybe a constructive post such as "I like Damian Marley" would have been a better contribution from you than just stirring shit up.

:D we must have both missed each other's positive posts then, because I must have posted a billion times how happy I was that he was opening :)

Hmm...hip hop thats listenable....might I suggest K-OS? Fellow Canuck, as a matter of fact I'm listening to Joyful Rebellion right now, a great album!!!

(I STILL think K-OS should be opening for U2!!!!!!!!)

G

Dismissing an entire genre as crap is my fucking opinion. I've listened to reggae. I don't like it. It's just not my thing, so how do I not have a right to say I don't like it and that I'm disappointed U2 doesn't have the (in my mind) excellent support they've had otherwise on the ONE SINGLE date I get to see them?

I've heard plenty of musicians who have devoted their life to their art that absolutely suck. There's nothing wrong with not liking something and having a different opinion. I'm sorry I was expecting to see someone I actually liked because I'm a fan of virtually every other support act they have had with them.

gabrielvox said:

:D we must have both missed each other's positive posts then, because I must have posted a billion times how happy I was that he was opening :)

No, I didn't post anything postive. If you did, that's what would have made it a forum. Instead, you opted to attack me because I don't like the same music as you.

I saw KOL 6 times. So far I'll be seeing Damian Marley 6 times and Keane 3 times.

Ask me if I care who the opening band is.

ramblin rose said:
I saw KOL 6 times. So far I'll be seeing Damian Marley 6 times and Keane 3 times.

Ask me if I care who the opening band is.

do you care who the opening band is?

I'm locking this because you guys aren't cooling down. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, please remember that and understand that just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't mean they don't like you or are attacking you personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom