Concerning Bono's Voice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
...I've heard a lot of comments thus far to the effect of 'Bono's voice didn't sound great', or 'Bono's voice sounded worn', et al. I have a question for anyone that said anything similar to that; WHAT are you talking about?

Go listen to any, and I mean ANY, boot from the Elevation Tour. Now go and listen to one of the two available boots from this tour. Bono's voice is 50 times better now than it was four years ago. I can't say with 100% certainty why or how his voice has improved so much, but it has. Beautiful Day sounds better live now than it ever did on the Elevation Tour - he's actually singing the touch me/teach me lines THE WAY THEY WERE SUNG ON THE RECORD, something he never did on the last tour, because he couldn't. And Elevation, he's actuallysinging the 'Woo Hoo's now. For my money, WOWY from SD2 was the Bono's best vocal performance of that song since ZooTV. The second verse of NYD used to have all sorts of cracks on Popmart and Elevation, now they are gone. He's hitting everything in the new songs. I've only heard two songs in the two shows thus far that I thought he was vocally weak in. The first was Sunday Bloody Sunday, and that was more of him just not singing it very energetically than it was his voice not holding up. The other was Pride, and he's never been particularly good at singing that song live, even from back on its original tours of duty in 85/87/89.

It just sounds to me like some people have already been spoiled by the resurgence of Bono's voice, already forgetting how bad it had gotten at a lot of points during the Elevation Tour.

AMEN

Plus, I think it also may be better than during Popmart, but hey, why do you think the bitching thread was started in here.... Some of us just seem to like to bitch!!!

Our boy Bono is just getting warmed up, he needs to work out some things, but he sounds a lot better on the SD II bootleg, he'll get there.

People complain far too often around here. Nice to see this post. :up: I haven't listened to either of the bootlegs (except for that moment of weakness when I listened to "Zoo Station") so I don't really know what he sounds like, but I know that the complainers are overexaggerating. Bono has sounded fantastic in all of the promotional live shows so far, so there's no way his voice and performance could have degenerated to the drastic lows that some are claiming it has.

Excellent points, namkcuR. I completely agree! I was so impressed when I heard WOWY... It hasn't sounded that good in a loooooong time. Go, Bono! :up:

I personally think Bono's voice is the biggest question mark on this tour. The new songs are all so vocally demanding, and while it cannot be denied that he has found a new and better voice than he had on Elevation, it remains to be seen how it holds up. SD1...not even an attempt at the best part of ABOY.

I agree some of the songs sound WAY better including, IMHO, streets. I love the africana chanting, and he is actually singing most of the song instead of just saying it.

I am shocked that Pride seems to be a staple, noting what has already been posted, but while it doesn't make musical sense, it is an integral part of the sermon.

Great post. :up:

I think it's too early to say for sure how his voice will hold up, but the first two shows have me feeling very positive about it. He is hitting notes he couldn't hit before, and there is a strength to his voice that was lacking for years. Just listen to the "Can you hear me when I sing?" in Sometimes... No way could he have done that on Popmart or Elevation.

I was at SD1 and his vocal on Yahweh was a thing of beauty - Bono sounding like Bono again

I don't think anyone complained bono's voice was bad, maybe that he wasn't into it (especially during the fly)

personally i think bono's voice has been VERY good the last 2 concerts

Hi!

Mr.B can do no wrong.......he is great all the time........it's just our perception that's been altered.

carol
wizard2c

:slant: :|

Back
Top Bottom