Chicago Tribune this Sunday-Bono and Kot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ava83

Babyface
This whole article will be in the trib Sunday...

U2's lead singer, Bono (right), was steamed at Tribune rock critic Greg Kot. So he called Kot from his cell phone to complain. He agreed to sit down with Kot for a one-on-one interview -- more than an hour's conversation with the leader of one of the world's most popular rock bands.

Read Kot's story in the Arts and Entertainment section of Sunday's Chicago Tribune. Meanwhile, here are a few highlights from their conversations:

TAKING OFFENSE
Bono: There's a dark cloud over us and we need to talk.

ON KOT'S CRITICISMS
Bono: As a writer who cares deeply about music, you're right to give rock bands a kicking when they deserve it. And we have deserved it at times. But you also need to explain to us how rock can progress.

IS U2 SELLING OUT?
Bono: I accept that that is alarming. I really do. Our being on TV, I don't have a problem with that--we should be on TV. But OK, associating our music with a product. You've got to deal with the devil.

I hope I posted in the correct place.

Yeah, it's really unprecedented. I heard from a reliable source that after that horrible review came out, Bono called one of the executives at the Trib asking for a chance to respond, and this is the result. Can't wait to read the story.

Wow, that really is cool and interesting...
when I'd heard how Bono commented on the review at monday's show was it?..it really felt odd but I loved it.
Like he was not just allowing the (to me and others, and to him apparently!) puzzling evaluations just stand there.
Like he was going to exorcise the bad vibe, and wanted to understand what the negativity was.

That little snippet above "you've got to explain to us how to make rock progress" is really the bottomline that we've all been dancing around in some of the 'what's wrong with vertigo 2005 thread'. Some folks are appearing to say, hey, no 'challenge' here, no 'boundary-pushing' here, and that's too vague to be useful.
So yeah, bono's got more power than most to get the critics on the line and make them explain themselves, make them go beyond the smartly crafted sentences of indictment, and tell these guys, who clearly really care about what they do, what they're being charged with (it's sort of a human rights issue..)..
can't wait to see it too!

cheers...

Yeah..should be a good read.

I was a bit miffed by both Chicago paper's reviews last week. I read a few writer's reviews from the NY area after the East Rutherford shows and they were very positive.

I have no problem with someone smashing a rock band, movie star, etc. as long as there is some explanation and credibility. I felt these Chicago reviews didn't have any examples to back up their dissappointment.

I think just playing songs from Boy and October after such a long hiatus from previous tours is a wonderful addition that I could never have imagined :drool: .

Should be very interesting indeed! Kot is definitely a U2 fan, as is DeRogartis, but they've seen enough with HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour to give them pause over U2's direction (and I'm in that camp, as well, as full disclosure).

Kot's Elevation reviews were telling, I believe: he went to Miami and fawned over the first night with a glowing review. The Chicago 2001 stand got an enthusiastic (but not quite as fawning) positive endorsement. The Fall Chicago 2001 shows were almost a sympathetic endorsement, as Kot was still positive but not nearly as much so as in the spring.

Hawkfire said:
Should be very interesting indeed! Kot is definitely a U2 fan, as is DeRogartis, but they've seen enough with HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour to give them pause over U2's direction (and I'm in that camp, as well, as full disclosure).

Kot's Elevation reviews were telling, I believe: he went to Miami and fawned over the first night with a glowing review. The Chicago 2001 stand got an enthusiastic (but not quite as fawning) positive endorsement. The Fall Chicago 2001 shows were almost a sympathetic endorsement, as Kot was still positive but not nearly as much so as in the spring.

Why would that be?
What changed for the man from Miami opening to Fall end for Elevation tour?

Is it all the fucking ipod thing? is it all that these long-time fan critics hate that U2 is trying to get a young audience and they're facing the realities of the market as it exists?
I guess we'll find out some in the piece...

ShellBeThere said:

Why would that be?
What changed for the man from Miami opening to Fall end for Elevation tour?

Is it all the fucking ipod thing? is it all that these long-time fan critics hate that U2 is trying to get a young audience and they're facing the realities of the market as it exists?
I guess we'll find out some in the piece...

that's exactly what it is......i'm sure they enjoyed the shows (i mean, who wouldnt have a good time at a U2 show...i bet even Henry Rollins has a good time at a U2 but just won't admit it), but they were so turned off by the whole ipod thing that they bashed the album when they reviewed it back in november......both critics are also all about experimenting (as they've made it no secret that they LOVE acthung baby, zooropa, zoo tv, and love bands like radiohead)......so they weren't big fans of HTDAAB.....so i'm sure because of that they decided not to like the shows..

Rock bands meeting with critics is tricky business. In a way, you could view this as a tired old rock band that has run out of ideas and now they are meeting with critics to help them decide what's wrong and how to fix it. Of course, I don't see it that way, and I believe that Bono will hold his own with Kot. Bono can be very convincing when he sits down and talks face to face w/ someone. Maybe as a result, Kot will see something special about new-U2 that he has overlooked or disregarded. IMO, U2 has changed and transformed constantly throughout their career, and everytime they leave something behind (no pun intended), there will be fans who miss that side of U2. To some degree I think they are revisiting the UF/JT era, but in other ways they are breaking new ground (new ground for U2, that is). If you want to say "there's nothing new going on in rock", then maybe Kot should sit down with every band on the planet. U2 shouldn't be blamed when they do not reinvent the world of music with every album. Anyway, I'm sure this will be an interesting article!

Tw(K)ot is a fool. If he can write one more I love Coldplay review this month it will be at least the third if not 4th one. Maybe he asks Bono about Coldplay in the interview.

It seems that only a small minority of people are able to appreciate all sides of U2. If HTDAAB had been an experimental masterpiece, then of course these guys would have loved it. But there would also be many people who wouldn't even give it a chance. I think that U2 percieve HTDAAB to be a very high quality release, and they do not understand how people can call it lazy and uninspired (I wonder the same thing). In the end, it's all about where your head is at a specific point in time. U2 made a very innocent, personal, and emotional album when some fans were wanting something completely different. Some fans just need to adjust, and look at the big picture. If the next 3 albums are carbon copies of HTDAAB, then I'll be pissed too. I highly doubt that will be the case though.

But so what would experimenting look like now?
U2 already did AB and ZooTV, so going back to that would be re-run...
would experimenting now sound more like...which band? what influences would we need to hear? who is currently doing boundary-pushing work?

my suspicion is indeed that the ipod thing is a major factor, but that bit about the decline from the beginning to the end of Elevation in the concertreviews from this writer made me wonder too what was up with that. Is it that familiarity in general breeds contempt from him, and he can't really separate his own contextual experience-of-the-show from what more 'objectively' is being presented?
I know all opinion is ultimately lodged in and then spat out of someone's own head, but there are ways to make evaluations less personal, by at least acknowledging what else is happening in the thoughts to color a critique. I hope that Bono's interviewing the critic brings these things out, because as it stood it was rather a poorly done 'critique', with a lot of stuff unacknowledged it seemed to me.
I'm glad Bono got a forum for addressing the points this guy made.
It's almost like the lads have to explain what they're trying to do with their tour, which I've been noticing their press is showing more lately...

anyway, cheerio all...

I'm looking forward to this, but the guy Bono should have called out is Derogatis, from The Sun Times. His review, if you can call it that, was filled with much more ridiculous pent up anger than Kot's.

Both Kot and Derogatis were totally rude. And Larry had graciously given Derogatis a very in-depth interview just a week before, making Derogatis' mean-spiritedness even harder to understand.

I don't understand why people are so annoyed about the ipod thing. They didn't take money for it. They just wanted to be associated with the more modern aspect of music(mp3 players) and get their new stuff out there so people heard it. Most people probably weren't paying much attention to the ipod anyhow, i know i wasn't, i was busy listening to the song lol

U2 has a sold out world tour, a hit cd, and millions of adoring fans. The masses have spoken. Don’t get hung up on one critics opinion though it should be an interesting read.

One man's opinion displayed to many many people via the press. In typical fashion, Kot has put U2 on the pedestal and now he wants to knock them off. They haven't delivered like he wanted them to. They are selling out to Corporate America and big business and most important of all, to the next generation of kids. How dare U2 to accept and deliver new challenges. Kot is stuck in a moment he can't get out of. He still believes and wishes it is 1980 where we don't have the internet and we don't use cell phones & U2 plays only their hits of the 80's. With that mindset, should we expect anything less from him?

KOT - The songs from last year's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" gained nothing and only seemed more contrived in concert. "Love and Peace or Else," which opened the show; "Yahweh," the penultimate track before the encore; "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," the song that pays homage to Bono's departed dad, and "Vertigo," the hit brought to you by Apple's iPod -- all were rote, leaden, formulaic imitations of sounds that U2 has done much, much better in the past.

Last edited:
medmo said:
I'm looking forward to this, but the guy Bono should have called out is Derogatis, from The Sun Times. His review, if you can call it that, was filled with much more ridiculous pent up anger than Kot's.

I at least expect better from Kot. Derogatis I don't have any respect for in the first place, as he writes for the Chicago scum times.

I almost prefer the negative reviews. I like my Bono angry with something to prove. Anyhow, the only people that make decisions about a band or an album based on this guy's review aren't ones I would like to stand next to at a concert.

I do, however, think that Bono has to pick his fights. This is not a good one. He should have responded to that charge of lipsyncing done by the Denver Post reporter. Or perhaps letting that one pass under the radar was the tactic, even though it is false.

Mass media, what a bitch. Even I was misquoted on GMA this morning!

U2WOJO said:
Tw(K)ot is a fool. If he can write one more I love Coldplay review this month it will be at least the third if not 4th one. Maybe he asks Bono about Coldplay in the interview.

I don't get how Kot can bash U2 and then turn around and praise Coldplay. I'm kind of disappointed in U2's post-2000 output myself, but Coldplay is every bit as mainstream and possibly even less original than current U2 - not to mention not nearly as exciting live.

I am interested in reading Sunday's article, however.

I do like when a band confronts the critic every once in awhile. Now when he makes a habit of it, I'll complain, but I like his spirit.

I think one of the best artist confronts critic is when the Ryan Adams drunken voice mails to a critic got released on the internet.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I do like when a band confronts the critic every once in awhile. Now when he makes a habit of it, I'll complain, but I like his spirit.

I think one of the best artist confronts critic is when the Ryan Adams drunken voice mails to a critic got released on the internet.

I heard that. I thought he sounded like a whiney little bastard. But it would make a great "what NOT to do" exhibit. :D

This is going to be interesting. Being on the West Coast I hope that some of you will share the article if it is not accessible on the publication's website (sometimes they require membership or payment). I applaud Bono for speaking up, it's a free speak nation and he is exercising that right on US soil. I doubt Bono wants to call this author out, I do think he enjoys a good hearty debate, and I am sure he will put the guy in his place intellectually speaking. I am interested to hear Kot's analogy on how rock can progress, as well Bono's comments on U2 selling out. There seems to be much banter about this since the debut of HTDAAB, the tour ticket fiasco and yes, the iPod. Hope I get to see the article Sunday with the rest of you!

Hawkfire said:

After reading DeRogatis's "reviews" of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and the Chicago shows, I have a hard time believing he was ever a fan. Of course, if one thinks 90's U2 is all that when it comes to U2...

Unlike most bands and singers (or should I say, most of the big and rich bands and singers) who only whined "the people are stealing from us" when downloading came out, U2 is, so far and as far as I know, the only one of the big names smart enough to embrace the Ipod and embrace the digital era of music industry, and go with the times. Certainly the first band to offer their whole catalogue that way.

Last edited:
The Tribune just requires a login..if you have one for any of the Tribune media papers you can get in (like the LATimes,newport news, I think newsday) The actual Sunday paper with the interview should be already out..if not by this afternoon.

I think this may be an interesting article

There's a small group of critics in the U.S. that want to loosen U2's stranglehold grip on rock. Some just believe that rock belongs to the young energy and that U2 should start to step aside. So in that quest, they resort to cliched criticisms like leaden, fomulaic and the "old" band just doing it for the money. We have the Rolling Stones to thank for the critical use of these superlatives----lol. Ironically, it just shows that these critics minds are as dated as the Stones are.

Back
Top Bottom