Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L03VIk

War Child
After seeing the Good Morning America clips from Chicago, there is no doubt in my mind that the upcoming Vertigo Tour DVD should be rerecorded (Can someone confirm that the GMA-clips is from the night that will feature on the DVD?)

I have heard/seen about every bootleg from this tour, and there is no doubt that Bono's voice is really crap on the GMA-clips compared to the other concerts on this tour. He's almost rapping Vertigo, because of his hoarseness... "Sometimes" isn´t regular quality either.

I have no problem buying a U2 DVD that isn´t top-of-the-line, but if I was not a fan, I would be really disappointed. Vertigo Tour 2005 is the biggest rock tour this year, and the Chicago show is NOT AT ALL comparable to the high quality of most of the shows this tour...

What do you think?

(I know there is no way the DVD will not be released, but compared to Boston/Slane from Elevation, this will be a really big disappointment...)

GMA had their own gear for that recording of Chicago I (acording to Willie's diary), and also Chicago I was not recorded for the DVD. Chicago II anad III are to be used for the DVD. I believe this was discussed on the U2torrent forum and elsewhere here.

On the contrary. I think Bono sounds way better then he did on Elevation tour (Slane and Boston combined). And you can't really tell how Bono sounds from audience recordings.

I think Bono sounds as best as he can. His best voice is gone since min 90's. You have to remember that. :wink:

Last edited:
The whole crowd was really into Boston II, but I guess we can't get two tours in a row from the same city.

Yeah at first i thought that Vertigo sounded like he was struggling a bit more than usual, but after listening to it several times the raspiness actually sounds pretty cool and controlled and he does hit all the high notes in it. The other three songs sound good to me, so I think that the performance will actually be pretty awesome when seen in full.
That's interesting to hear that the GMA had their own recording equipment but the performances are almost certainly from the third show(beautiful day for sure as bono says "on my birthday!" and the others presumably are from the same day.)

markoajda said:
On the contrary. I think Bono sounds way better then he did on Elevation tour (Slane and Boston combined). And you can't really tell how Bono sounds from audience recordings.

I think Bono sounds as best as he can. His best voice is gone since min 90's. You have to remember that. :wink:

You have obviously not heard the GMA videos. These are proshots...

I think Bono sounds better than ever this tour. But on the GMA songs he has something going on in his throat...

I shurely hope the GMA clips is not the night that will be on the DVD. I have heard Bono was way better the other Chicago shows...

my problem with the DVD is different .... with the official recording/dvd you lose the crowd, you lose seeing the whole show, you lose hearing everyone sing along, you lose waiting in the GA line. Its just not the same. I'd take one of ChrisEdge's recordings and one of our audience DVD's anytime over an official release...at least that will bring me back to the concert. An official recording that doens't sound anything like I heard or an official dvd that zooms in on Bono the entire time that doesn't resemble what I saw just doens't do it for me.

njelevation06 said:
my problem with the DVD is different .... with the official recording/dvd you lose the crowd, you lose seeing the whole show, you lose hearing everyone sing along, you lose waiting in the GA line. Its just not the same. I'd take one of ChrisEdge's recordings and one of our audience DVD's anytime over an official release...(...)

Allthough this is a bit of topic...

I agree with you. The audience recordings capture the concert experiance the best.

I think the official DVD releases have taken over for the live CDs, and they are doing a great job in that fashion... Hamish Hamilton really generates special moments with his directing...

I really enjoy putting in a U2 DVD in my 5.1 system and blast out for 2 hours, not to get the concert experiance, but to get a great U2 experiance with brilliant audio and video... (Allthough I agree that there should be mixed in more crowd noise sometimes...)

L03VIk said:

I think Bono sounds better than ever this tour. But on the GMA songs he has something going on in his throat...

I shurely hope the GMA clips is not the night that will be on the DVD. I have heard Bono was way better the other Chicago shows...

Well yes I did see GMA and he sounds fine to me. ;)

L03VIk said:

Yeah, like what's already been said over and over.....the problems w/ Bono's voice were Chicago I which was NOT recorded for the DVD. Just II and III were. So you can relax and forget about the GMA clips. :D

beautiful day was definitely recorded on night 3 because bono says at the end "on my birthday" which was on may 10th, the third night. Since that's the case, I'd imagine the other three songs came from the third show too. in any case the songs sound good to me.

markoajda said:

Well yes I did see GMA and he sounds fine to me. ;)

I didn´t wan´t to be rude or anything. I just didn´t understand what you said about it´s hard to judge Bonos voice in audience recordings, since the GMA shots where proshot.;)

i'v heard lots of bootlegs from this tour and i agree bono seems to be struggling.........the rest of the band however is at their PEAK!!!! also chicago 4 is one of bono's best nights vocally this year.......but i dont think chicago 4 is goin to be used for the dvd :( definitely one of the best performances by the band so far on this tour

P.S
bono's studio voice is as good as ever.......but he can barely sing live these days (listen to dirty day from zoo tv sydney for comparison - one of best vocal performances of ALL time; and not just by bono!!!!)

i totally agree with you L03VIk, the videos they showed on GMA were disappointing. they did not capture the vertigo live show. and i did hear that bono's voice was a lot weaker than most other shows from this tour. i really hope the DVD will have a different mix.

adeel said:
i'v heard lots of bootlegs from this tour and i agree bono seems to be struggling.........the rest of the band however is at their PEAK!!!! also chicago 4 is one of bono's best nights vocally this year.......but i dont think chicago 4 is goin to be used for the dvd :( definitely one of the best performances by the band so far on this tour

P.S
bono's studio voice is as good as ever.......but he can barely sing live these days (listen to dirty day from zoo tv sydney for comparison - one of best vocal performances of ALL time; and not just by bono!!!!)

He can barely sing live these day?! We must not be listening to the same bootlegs. While his voice was better during ZooTV, this is the best he's sounded since then. I mean, compare songs like Streets or Pride from Vertigo bootlegs to Elevation bootlegs. There's no comparison.

Anyhow, back to the make topic. I was a little confused when I heard Vertigo on GMA. I was at that show, and I really don't remember his voice scratching like that. I've heard a few non-GMA songs from Chicago III, and he was in top form. His voice also sounds great on the 3 Chicago bootlegs (although I think Chicago IV was vocally his weakest of the 4). So, I'm not sure what happened with the GMA performances, but I'm hoping the DVD uses a different audio source.

L03VIk said:

I didn´t wan´t to be rude or anything. I just didn´t understand what you said about it´s hard to judge Bonos voice in audience recordings, since the GMA shots where proshot.;)

Dude, enough w. the "proshot". Were you at any of the Chicago concerts? Just forget about ALL of the recordings and listen to the people who were there..all four shows were awesome! I haven't seen the GMA clips, but personally I've always found thse type of clips to be misleading. It's like the "proshot" clips use the soundboard or earpiece recordings which overexaggerate Bono's vocals. IMO, good audience recordings are much better indicators if you want to rate the overall performance.

markoajda said:

I thought he sounded great for Slane.
I have to agree with you on Boston though.

I was the Chicago 2 show,his birthday. In fact we sat next to one of the cameras that had a dead center shot from the 2nd balcony where we were. Personally I thought Bono sounded incredible. Also watched the GMA clips and to me he sounded just as good. The crowd was incredibly worked up and I think it's going to look great on the dvd! Hope they add the part of everyone chanting happy birthday to him.

BonosBaby12 said:
I was the Chicago 2 show,his birthday. In fact we sat next to one of the cameras that had a dead center shot from the 2nd balcony where we were. Personally I thought Bono sounded incredible. Also watched the GMA clips and to me he sounded just as good. The crowd was incredibly worked up and I think it's going to look great on the dvd! Hope they add the part of everyone chanting happy birthday to him.

Chicago 3 was Bono's birthday, not 2. Chicago 3 is the DVD and it will look and sound just fine. If there is a particular weak part unfortunately they will probebly splice in part of Chicago 2 to even it out. These shows were good performances (although what I heard of Chicago 1, it was one of the weaker Vertigo shows, sounds uninspired and they have a lot of miscues) and the fact that 3 was Bono's birthday will add a festive atmosphere to it.

I just dont think the band was ready to shoot a DVD yet. Seemed like they filmed too early on this tour. They should have filmed one of the stadium shows this summer and an arena show this fall. Would have worked better as they would have the songs down completely. They were still ironing out the way they played songs and the lighting for them in Chicago. That is not a time to shoot the official DVD.

Bono will overdub his parts if they are lacking, he always has...makes it much more enjoyable. If I want a rough honest version of what occured that night...that's what the boots are for.

Last edited:
L03VIk said:
I have no problem buying a U2 DVD that isn´t top-of-the-line, but if I was not a fan, I would be really disappointed.

What do you think?
I think you're totally wrong. If you weren't a fan, you wouldn't have been listening to tons of other boots to be able to compare.

BTW, I was at Chicago III & he sounded great.

It doesn't matter what show was night 1 or night 4. Personally I wasn't there to count the nights. All that matters was that I was at his birthday concert and I thought the band was great. And any true U2 fan will still want to buy the dvd even if some feel that it was too early to do the taping. Who's to say if they waited till later on to do it that something wouldn't happen then to mess it all up? Way I see it if you aren't satisified with it than don't buy it!

Last edited:
IMO it can be better.

Same stuff from Boston and Slane: out of focus, extreme close-ups, objects between the cam and the band etc.

Not that I don't like those DVDs but I think this Tour needs a new shooting style.
In this way it'll be another reason to it be compared to the Elevation Tour.

At least he* didn't use the same effect in "after the flood when the colors came out" LOL.

*edit: [he] = the director

Last edited:
victor_f said:
IMO it can be better.

Same stuff from Boston and Slane: out of focus, extreme close-ups, objects between the cam and the band etc.
GMA put this together, not the director for U2.

I think they should record in several cities and either choose the best one at the end, or make a DVD with multiple nights. It could either be 7-8 songs from maybe 4 nights (I know that isn't popular with a lot of people), or they could make it a multiple disc set to show the different stage production and setlists in the US, Europe, etc.

Haven't heard the Chicago bootlegs or GMA clips though, so I can't really comment...

VertigoGal said:

Haven't heard the Chicago bootlegs or GMA clips though, so I can't really comment...

You should. Last I checked they were avaliable at u2neophobia.com .

Chicago 4 is a great recording. Although now that Bad->40 has been repeated and UTEOTW has been played a few more times, plus WOWY it's not as amazing as it was at first. Still well worth a listen.

Back
Top Bottom