Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, chicago dvd should not be cancelled. I was there and it was f****ing amazing. :rockon:

BonosBaby12 said:
It doesn't matter what show was night 1 or night 4. Personally I wasn't there to count the nights. All that matters was that I was at his birthday concert and I thought the band was great. And any true U2 fan will still want to buy the dvd even if some feel that it was too early to do the taping. Who's to say if they waited till later on to do it that something wouldn't happen then to mess it all up? Way I see it if you aren't satisified with it than don't buy it!

Well, it kind of does matter what night you are referring to as that is sort of what this discussion is about. Thats why I was pointing out that the show you were talking about was night 3 in case someone else became confused. Jeez, relax.

Word is the band and Hamish are very pleased with the footage from Chicago "3" which would be 5-10-05 (AKA Bono's Birthday show) just so we are clear. :laugh: Anyway, that show was a decent one. Better than the Boston 01 show that was filmed, that was a fairly flat uninspired performance IMO. But it was still a decent DVD. So the Chicago Vertigo DVD will be cool and may even beat the Boston 01 DVD, nothing to worry about.
At least there were no sitdown protests in the elipse for the Chicago one! :laugh: ;)

I clearly stated that I was there for his birthday so the number of the show doesn't matter. EVERYONE knows the date of that so you can relax. What my point was is that the show is worthy of dvd. Boston has already been done and now it's time to move onto a different city. What may have been lacking that night was easily overtaken by the fan's excitement.

i went to chicago 3, and it was a great show! from what i remember, the performance of 'an cat dubh' is amazing- worth a DVD unto itself! :wink: :drool:

seriously, i think it's gonna be a fantastic DVD. :up:

Chizip said:
damnit, i should have done a sitdown protest against the lottery

Maybe once upon a time I would've joined in...

I thought the lottery was the worst idea possible till it got me on the front rail of the ellipse the night they filmed the dvd. :wink:

BTW, the show on the 10th will make a fuckin awesome DVD. The crowd was great and the band was really on fire. The 9th...not quite as good but they probably got some decent footage if they need to use it (I couldn't see why they would after filming the 10th)

Last edited:
adeel said:
i'v heard lots of bootlegs from this tour and i agree bono seems to be struggling.........the rest of the band however is at their PEAK!!!! also chicago 4 is one of bono's best nights vocally this year.......but i dont think chicago 4 is goin to be used for the dvd :( definitely one of the best performances by the band so far on this tour

P.S
bono's studio voice is as good as ever.......but he can barely sing live these days (listen to dirty day from zoo tv sydney for comparison - one of best vocal performances of ALL time; and not just by bono!!!!)

Apparently you and I are listening to VERY different boots of these shows then. Barring Chicago 4, where Bono was hoarse, all the other shows were amazing!! I am stunned at how strong and rich his voice sounds this tour. Those who say his voice died in the mid-90's are wrong. First, while he did struggle a lot during PopMart and at times during the Elevation Tour, you can basically hear his voice return on ATYCLB and just continue to get stronger. He sounds great this tour - I've heard his strong voice in person (3x now) and on the boots. This is easily the best he's been since the ZOO TV era.

Therefore, don't give me this crap about how he can "barely sing live these days" - it's not true. And yes, I've recently listened to that ZOO TV performance you mentioned and to a recent Vertigo Tour boot - and he sounds virtually the same. He's hit some major wails on this tour, again, things I haven't heard in ages. I'm sorry that you are downloading crappy boots.

U2Girl1978 said:
I'm wondering...Did we all go to the same concert? :huh: :eyebrow:

I'm wondering this too. I went to Chicago 2 and 3. If there was any disappointment, it was the repeat of "Vertigo" on night 3. Many fans, myself included, felt U2 should've come out once more to at least close with "40", if nothing else.

However, the energy on that second performance of "Vertigo" was astounding! It wouldn't surprise me if that's the performance that makes the bootleg.

As I stressed in my above post, what's impressed me most this tour is how STRONG Bono's voice has been. Sure, he has an off night or too - heck, I sounded hoarse just singing along to U2 at the concerts I attended. But overall, Bono's voice has been rich and strong - something I haven't heard since ZOO TV. And on both of those Chicago nights (2 & 3), he sounded great. Chicago 4 had the great set-list, but Bono's voice was hoarse.

Also, I adored the extra lights they had on for those shows! Great stuff. I think the DVD will be spectacular.

Lastly, while Boston 2 had the loudest crowd I've heard so far, U2 always is brilliant in Chicago and the city loves them! If Boston is U2's "second home", I'd argue that Chicago is their third. Combining great vocals, great crowd, excellent lighting effects and fantastic playing and I think this will be an outstanding DVD. It won't be quite as good as Boston 2 show (that was other-worldly), but it will be fantastic.

doctorwho said:

If Boston is U2's "second home", I'd argue that Chicago is their third.

He says EVERY city is his second home. He has a place in NYC and always states that this was the first city U2 ever played in the states and that COBL is about NY. I am form NY, and can state many instances where U2 have called NY there "2nd" home, and name many songs, but the truth is: AMERICA is their second home. They love this country and all it's parts. The ZOO TV boot from Philly is great and he says "Philadelphia is his favorite name for a city anywhere on this earth." Do I believe it? Maybe, but I take it with a grain of salt.

I am NOT trying to knock anybody else's cities because everyone should be smart enough to know that they aren't going to come out and say "Hello Philadelphi, we hate your f'ing city!"I just find it amusing how evryone thinks that U2 LOVES their city the best. Oh well... just a little rant... carry on

jeffschmid said:
the gma videos were awful compared to past dvds...

I was at Chicago 3 and it was a fantastic show, but I will agree that the GMA videos were aweful. They didn't capture the feeling of the night one bit IMO and the opinions of my friends who went.

That damn Hamish Hamilton and his split second, jerky editing.

well they still have a lot of time to edit it for the dvd

maybe the GMA clips were just rushed to get finished for TV and not what we'll see on the DVD

markoajda said:

I hate to quote myself but...

See.. His BEST voice is gone since mid 90's!

No one can deny that.

I don't understand your confusion. You quoted yourself, yet you are confused?.

I wrote, "Those who think Bono's voice is gone from the mid-90's are wrong". YOU are one such person - and I think you are VERY wrong.

Yes, PopMart and some of Elevation were weak. But you can hear Bono's voice return on Elevation (listen to how rich his voice sounds on the Boston DVD and that wail he has before "Streets" on the Slane DVD) and he's even stronger now. The shows I've heard are spectacular. Even Larry has commented on Bono's strong voice.

If you think he's weak, sorry to hear that - but I cannot disagree more.

As for the whole "second city" thing... I agree, America is basically their second home. However, I've read many sources, including comments from the band, stating how Boston is their second home. I do not live in Boston, so I don't feel slighted or elated by this comment. Furthermore, I think the comment has to do with the heavy Irish community in Boston (as well as in Chicago). NYC, of course, is huge and Bono's created several songs about it, so no need to feel slighted there.

Last edited:

As for the whole "second city" thing... I agree, America is basically their second home. However, I've read many sources, including comments from the band, stating how Boston is their second home. I do not live in Boston, . [/B]

zzz

Conisering that the band members own a few homes here, and none in Boston.......

it is possible u2's favorite second city is in europe...who knows.
maybe they will scrap the chicago dvd and use a european city instead.

from willie williams' tour diary on u2.com:

Chicago United Center I

The main focus of this week is the Big Video Shoot, where we will be attempting to capture something of the Vertigo show on camera. It’s unusually early in the tour to be doing this, it being an activity which has traditionally waited until almost the very end in previous outings, but ha! we laugh in the face of convention. We may end up shooting more shows as the tour goes on, moves outdoors, etc., so it will be good to record it in its early stages.

pfff... All that fuzz on which city/country U2 loves more...

U2's love for New York has different reasons then their love for Boston... U2's love for America as a whole is different then their love for a particular city...

The love for Boston (IMO) is because of their touring history in that city... I guess the band really remembers the energie in some city's/venue's during their carreer... They have the same thing (more or less) with Holland... Everytime they play here we are remembered by the band about how long and often they're playing here now... On how Holland was the first country outside the UK that embrased U2...

The other love is the love for the city or the history of the city... I mean, I don't see Adam buying a house in Amsterdam like he would in New York...

Take the South American gig's of Popmart.. These were the best of the whole tour because of the enthusiasm of the crowd.. They remember this and it adds to their feeling about these city's and they love these places for that reason...

Anyway, their love for individual city's have many different reason's... So don't compare them is what I think...

adeel said:
i'v heard lots of bootlegs from this tour and i agree bono seems to be struggling.........the rest of the band however is at their PEAK!!!! also chicago 4 is one of bono's best nights vocally this year.......but i dont think chicago 4 is goin to be used for the dvd :( definitely one of the best performances by the band so far on this tour

P.S
bono's studio voice is as good as ever.......but he can barely sing live these days (listen to dirty day from zoo tv sydney for comparison - one of best vocal performances of ALL time; and not just by bono!!!!)

How can you say Dirty Day was one of the greatest vocal performances? He sings about two lines after the 'chorus guitar' and then a bit of a falsetto. The rest is rap or chanting.

i guess it comes down to the subjectivity of music. nobody here seems to share my opinion lol!!! anyway i respect all ur opinions but i still feel the pure quality of bono's voice during that dirty day performance is unbelievable! absolutely perfect! oh and for comparison purposes i shudv mentioned 40 from the red rocks concert.......it's been wonderful to hear it again during this tour and i feel the instrument playing is actually better than the red rocks version; but again i feel vocally that was much much superior to any performance of 40 on this tour. again this is just my opinion and i'm sure many of u will disagree.

Viva U2!!!!:wink:

and yes i also agree bono's voice is better than it was on the elevation tour

hey cud someone plz help me out with this chicago dilemma? i said i thought chicago 4 was one of the best performances by bono vocally and the band as a whole so far on this tour. lots of ppl hav said after that that chicago 4 was actually the worst of the chicago nihgts; on the "top 5 recordings" thread lots of ppl hav rated chicago 4 at the top of their lists (both sound quality and performance wise)...................wat the hell is goin on??????? r we all listening to the same boots??????? i personally agree with the latter group and feel chicago 4 is one of the best performances so far.................can somebody who went to all 4 chicago nights plz help me out.

Viva U2!!!!:wink:

Chicago IV wasn´t recorded as far as I know, so I guess that is kinda of topic.

I have done some more "research" now (listened to the boots). Chicago I is actually a very good Bono performance, but it has the worst "Vertigo" in history. But all the other songs are fine. (Sometimes is actually one of the best versions of the song to date...)

I guess these things aren´t really a problem. If a song sucked one day, they just use the same song from the night before. Annoying for us hardcore fans, but to the general public, I think it´s a good idea.

They probably will record another show for a DVD during the tour.

I don't think the Chicago shows will be scraped. The production costs for filming are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, unless the footage is complete crap, it won't be scraped.

doctorwho said:

I don't understand your confusion. You quoted yourself, yet you are confused?.

I wrote, "Those who think Bono's voice is gone from the mid-90's are wrong". YOU are one such person - and I think you are VERY wrong.

I'm not confused. But you put me in the group who thinks his voice is gone from the mid-90's. If you read carefuly I never wrote that. Here's what I wrote:

I think Bono sounds as best as he can. His best voice is gone since min 90's

What I meant by that is that his top/best (quality) voice is gone since mid 90's.

Are you telling me that you can't hear the difference in singing on ZOOtv or Elevation or even Vertigo tour?

I'm not saying he lost his voice completely but he SURE did lost his BEST voice. NOT saying his voice is weak but just not as strong as it used to be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom