Cheap pops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo786

War Child
What kind of things does Bono do to get cheap pops? (i.e to get the crowd to cheer for a quick short period of time)

The classic (that a lot of people do) is to say the name of the city they are in (i.e in U2s case they may incorprate it into Beautiful Day or something)

I find it annoying as well as quite amusing how it always gets a cheer... for instance in the UK at Twickenham the majority of people probably didn't even live in London - saying ENGLAND would have been more appororiate - not sure how it would be like in other shows/cities but not to dissimilar I guess.

Any others?

I think that's one of the first things they teach them

rolling_stones_06.jpg

At both recent Chicago shows, Bono rhymed something with "Illinois". I didn't cheer b/c 1) I'm not from Illinois and 2) I wouldn't admit it if I was!

Pretty much every concert I've been to has been in London and I hate how every performer yells out "london.... " or whatever when clearly only a small amount of people there are actually from London :mad: especially when the show is one of only a few in the UK.

I loved "we're in a place called San Diego" :rockon:

He should do that EVERYWHERE... even in East Rutherford or Minneapolis...

We're in a place called SANTIAGO :drool:

Re: Re: Cheap pops

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
At both recent Chicago shows, Bono rhymed something with "Illinois". I didn't cheer b/c 1) I'm not from Illinois and 2) I wouldn't admit it if I was!

At the end of bullet, it was something along the lines of:

Johnny's marching home again. Hurrah. Hurrah.
Johnny's marching home again. Hurrah. Hurrah.
Will he be a man, or will he a boy?
When Johnny comes home to Illinois.

What's so bad about Illinois? At least Chicago + Chicago suburbs, where I live, seem like a good place to live.

Bono said the band loves L.A., and for him, because more people live off their imaginations here than anywhere else.

I figured it was the weather they liked. ;)

I also love the second homecoming thing.....He used that during vertigo in at least holland, poland ,nice...but it works very nice at the moment i have to admit (BTW i would cheer about illinois even if i never even been to the US.....but if i am there and U2 is there ...well its something to cheer about..:wink: )

Last night he said it was great to "come home"--to Boston. Definitely got some cheers for that.

I remember back in zoo tv days when they played continental in rutherford NJ (back then I think it was still Brenden Byrne Arena), Bono shouted out great to be in New York. The majority of the crowd yelled...you're in New Jersey!

He sometimes calls the crowd "sexy" too, which always gets raucous applause.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and this weekend he'll say it's nice to be back home in new york... and then he'll say it in vegas... and miami... and so on and so on.

case in point, june 19th, 2001... walk on... "home... that's where new york is"

bono has deffinetly gone to the mick foley school of cheap pops

Bitch much? :sexywink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

lol I've got that! :wink:

I like how he sometimes does snippets of songs too in appropriate places. Such as singing "love will tear us apart" in Manchester. Even though I am never actually from the city they go to it's still pretty cool when they make reference to where they are.

Found it kinda funny how Liam Gallager did the opposite getting boos from the crowd when he said "Hello Manchester" at a London gig lol (It's on the Familiar to Millions dvd)

Mick Foley is the man in getting chap pops...

"we'll, I can't say I'm angry at you, I'M FURIOUS, AND I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS, RIGHT HERE, IN BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA!!!" *raises arm in "I-did-it" fashion*

Back
Top Bottom