cell phone text messaging during "One"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

korczykp

War Child
in the latest atu2 mail I got... was this

"WE LOVE L.A.
March 24, 2005
posted by: m2

Vertigo Tour setup has moved to Los Angeles this week, with those same
red trucks we saw in Vancouver a couple weeks ago now parked outside
the L.A. Sports Arena. Inside the arena, one of today's projects was a
test of the cell phone text messaging system that will be employed
during U2's performances of "One."
"

anyone have anything more on this?

not really, its rumoured that during "One" you can text message on your phone to the "one campaign" and there's a chance it will be put on the screens behind the band as they play the greatest song ever.

RademR said:
not really, its rumoured that during "One" you can text message on your phone to the "one campaign" and there's a chance it will be put on the screens behind the band as they play the greatest song ever.

What do they put up? Your #? Your name? Any message you want? How many "Play Acrobat" msgs will we see? How many "U2 suck" msgs will we see? This is going to be awkward.

i agree, i think its exciting and really not a good idea at the same time.

I think you'd send a message, and maybe there is a way they approve the message before posting it on the screen.

but u have a good point, what's a good message vs. an inappropriate one? And even still, I dont know if I like people texting messages while my favorite song is playing. Especially with a song with that much meaning.

I bet it will be names only that have given to the charity or e-signed the petition or whatever it is. But it would be cool to see some comments about Adam's spoons and Bono's hair.

Laurie, from Albuquerque, NM, 505-XXX-XXX, "Bono, cut your damn hair"

*a real quote from my wife from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame broadcast* She is priceless isn't she?

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
But it would be cool to see some comments about Adam's spoons and Bono's hair.

*a real quote from my wife from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame broadcast* She is priceless isn't she?

see, i think that's a good idea, it would be a real good time. But not to "One."

cmb737 said:
I bet it will be names only that have given to the charity or e-signed the petition or whatever it is. But it would be cool to see some comments about Adam's spoons and Bono's hair.

I agree with your wife! :)

It was mentioned at the TED award thingie that Bono was at. The head of TED (I don't know his name) said that during One people would be able to Text message their name into a special number and that it would appear on a screen or from a light blub...something like that. It sounds cool.

but you'd miss the "moment" of the song doing that. I think I would set it up, and then just push send when the song starts, not be messing around with the text, which is hard to see in dark even with the lit up screen, when the song starts.

Sounds like another money making project from u2, bet you it costs £1 or more just for message, and the chances of your message getting on screen are not exactly high.

Depending on how this comes off, 'One' may have officially jumped the shark. Never thought it could have happened.

Hopefully any glitches will be worked out by the third leg.

afc1903 said:
Sounds like another money making project from u2, bet you it costs £1 or more just for message, and the chances of your message getting on screen are not exactly high.
wouldnt of said it was a money making scheme, would say its a good way of getting some publicity for what is a great cause, plus i have heard its just the names that appear, not an actual message

afc1903 said:

I doubt very much that any of that money will go to U2! If the band wanted another dollar from everyone they would have charged an extra dollar for each ticket. This is an interesting way to raise more awareness about the Africa emergency and get the fans involved 1st hand in a concert.

I for one am excited to see how much fans enjoy seeing their name on stage, even though during the show I will be only listening to the song.

Shouldnt most people wanting to be enjoying the song instead of busy trying to text a bunch of messages :der:

Sicy said:
Shouldnt most people wanting to be enjoying the song instead of busy trying to text a bunch of messages :der:

I think so too. It's a cool idea, but I don't want to be fumbling around with my phone during the song. Plus, like other people mentioned, they should probably go through what is texted before it shows up on screen. I can just imagine "Amanda Huginkiss" or "I.P. Freely" up on the screen :huh:

Maybe they'll have the instructions in the tour program so people can do it before the show :shrug:

A bit off topic to start, but I was at a Dave Matthews Band show once where someone threw a shoe and it hit him square in the face. The wrist bands just reminded me of that.

I think the idea about putting the number and instructions in the tour program is a great idea. I would do that, but can't see myself texting during a song. Interesting though...

oh yea the throwing things at them is really bad, plus they trip and fall over stuff on the stage that people throw. I also saw an artist get hit square in the eye with a toy, while he was singing yet, and another one walk on some junk someone threw, and he just fell down, hard. Considering how Bono has fallen off the stage, and hit himself in the chin before, please don't throw stuff on the stage or at him.

bonoed said:
oh yea the throwing things at them is really bad, plus they trip and fall over stuff on the stage that people throw. I also saw an artist get hit square in the eye with a toy, while he was singing yet, and another one walk on some junk someone threw, and he just fell down, hard. Considering how Bono has fallen off the stage, and hit himself in the chin before, please don't throw stuff on the stage or at him.

Just curious what kind of toy it was? Tonka Truck? Etcha-Sketch? As sad as it probably was, when you said toy I couldn't help but laugh. Who was the artist if you don't mind me asking?:lol:

I have a feeling the screen will tell us what to do during the break before encore.
The band isn't that dumb to have us pull out our phones during One. Larry would have told them it was a shit idea in rehearsals. The media would make fun of it every single day if it was that lame.
Have faith in our boys.

Sicy said:

Yup, maybe if you could send the texts in when you're queing up or the support group's on etc and all the texts could be approved and then ready to flash up on screen during one...:huh:

u2wedge said:
Depending on how this comes off, 'One' may have officially jumped the shark. Never thought it could have happened.

Hopefully any glitches will be worked out by the third leg.

IMO this sounds like a a good idea that will quickly fade away -- I just can't see this working out very well, for many reasons posted.

I go to shows to shows for the band, music, energy, emotion -- my participation is singing along and dancing. Text messaging feels like technology overload -- I'd rather this not make it very far into the tour.

Maybe I'll be wrong - it could become the coolest part of the show -- I doubt it, and I hope the band will recognize if people dislike it and it becomes a forced moment.

bonoed said:

Funny you talk about things being thrown at a band. I went to the final show for Elevation in Miami. I was in the heart near Adam. A dude in the heart had some paper plates and got everyone to write "40" on them. When the band was doing their final song "Walk On", everyone held up their plates to show U2 that we wanted to hear "40". Bono inserted some "40" lyrics at the end of "Walk On". However.......someone zinged a paper plate (not the cardboard ones....just paper) and it went just past Bono's face. If Irish looks could kill......he looked pissed.....

Not to mention...at an Elevation show in Hamilton, Ontario, someone put one of those laser dots on Bono's face and body. He promptly told the someone not to do that as where he's from, those laser dots are connected to guns.

Anyway....not to hijack the thread. But I can text message while listening to a song. I have the thumb of a Ninja.

I was recently at a Toronto Raptors game, and they asked fans with cell phone to text "Raptors" to a certain number and you could win a prize.

This texting idea must have been Edge's idea.....although I also read the Beyonce and Bono have texted each other in the past.

Wonder how to get that number?

Last edited:
what if one was played at the end of a set and all the text messenging stuff took place between a set and an encore? just a thought on the logistics of this idea

BWU2Buffs said:

IMO this sounds like a a good idea that will quickly fade away -- I just can't see this working out very well, for many reasons posted.

I go to shows to shows for the band, music, energy, emotion -- my participation is singing along and dancing. Text messaging feels like technology overload -- I'd rather this not make it very far into the tour.

I agree, and I just plain think it sounds dumb :reject: If the concert turns into a bunch of people on their cells frantically texting, I think I'll hurl....Just stick with a regular ol' concert boys, please!

Back
Top Bottom