Catch-22, U2 style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
Forgive me if someone has made a similar point on an earlier thread.....

I just wanted to address on thing regarding set-list complaints.

There are some people who have clamored for old stuff. Well, they have gotten it....yet....

They are upset because songs like An Cat Dubh are "crowd killers", as the bulk of the fans do not know songs like that, and thusly the show is negatively impacted. I won't even get into how I don't really know if a good concert is defined by every single person knowing every single song...but....moving on....

Some of these same people also bemoan the inclusion of the reviled "Elevation" in the set lists. The thing is, though, that the crowd goes absolutely berserk for this song, just about every time, at every show I've been to so far this tour. Even the Bomb Shelter is a frenzy of activity during this song. Yet people want it out.

So. You want the crowd to be into every single song. But. Not if it's a song you don't like. Like Elevation. Interesting.

I have a solution to this.

Maybe. Just go to the show? And enjoy it for what it is? And be happy you're able to afford tickets and are healthy enough to go.

Just a thought.

And, no, I don't drool over every single U2 song, I myself, in a perfect/cream world would maybe tweak the set lists a tad...but that's in a dream world. In the real world, I go to see them a total of 6 times so far and have had a great time at each show.

Do I expect or even want people to stop nitpicking? I certainly do not expect it, and I respect people's rights to express their opinions, even if they are negative opinions on a fan website, but, I guess this is just me venting regarding the petty posts and such.

These are concerts, they will never be "perfect", they are not supposed to be "perfect". They simply are supposed to be fun, and anything on top of that is icing on the cake...and luckily for us, U2 provides plenty of icing. Nightly.

With the invention of the internet came the bitching of setlists. People always bitch about Ryan Adams setlist, he didn't play this, played too short, talked too much, talked too little, played too much new stuff, played too much old stuff, wasn't like last :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

U2 could play every song in their catalog or make a truly interactive setlist where they just took the majority's request and people would still bitch. People like to bitch.

Do Miss America said:
With the invention of the internet came the bitching of setlists. People always bitch about Ryan Adams setlist, he didn't play this, played too short, talked too much, talked too little, played too much new stuff, played too much old stuff, wasn't like last :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

U2 could play every song in their catalog or make a truly interactive setlist where they just took the majority's request and people would still bitch. People like to bitch.

I know that people like to bitch, it's basically implied. But, wow, there's so much of it, and the bulk of it strikes me as petty. My own post could technically be considered "bitching", but I guess I'm just wanting people to keep things in perspective and not let their minor disappointments erode their enjoyment of the shows.

No spoken words said:

Tough to defend myself there, I know. :) Damn that Freud. I wonder if he'll be at the Vienna show. :)

Then you can't even go back and edit it. :( Just think, this will be archived for years to come! :lol:

No spoken words said:
I love the book, too. I hope someone does not read this post and try to treat me like Nately.

...or like Major Major Major Major...:eek:

At least Major Major Major Major's life is not constantly at risk. He just has a screwed up name/title. Nately could get stabbed at anytime. Poor bastard.

And, yeah, Offaxis, my post is here for all eternity, so I can be mocked today, tomorrow, or in 2014, when U2 embarks on their farewell tour and everyone comes on interference to complain that the band's set lists still ignore Pop and still includes Elevation.

At least Nately doesn't have flies in his eyes like Appleby.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn’t, but if he was sane he would have to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn’t have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle. “That’s some catch, that Catch-22,” he observed. “It’s the best there is,” Doc Daneeka agreed.

:huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom