camping out for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
i was just wondering how many here have camped out for the GA line over nite, and if it was worth it, since i know it's not really necessary with the lottery system.
although i don't mind camping out, i rather enjoyed it on the elevation tour actually, and hanging out with all the fans before the show.

i was also wondering what the folks here in dallas were going to do since the show is only a few weeks away we should start planning :hyper:

i'm thinking about camping out but i have to work till 8pm the night before the concert so i wouldn't get there till around 9 or 10pm, but i have no idea how the american airlines center is set up for that. i wish it was at reunion arena again :sigh:

ABEL, i'll be in GA in Dallas too (we should meet up!) and i dont really see myself camping out

ill probably show up about 11 am or so and hope to get into the ellipse

if youre just hoping to get into the ellipse it would probably be better to show up around 5 or 6. it seems more people get scanned in around that time, and it doesnt really make sense to wait out all day to just hope to get scanned in.

In May, we didn't camp, we got there at 5:45am (woke up at 4am) and were # 73 and 74, got second row outside the ellipse. For Sept 20 and 21 we camped both nights, in a tent, w/ sleeping bags and air mattresses. I definitely preferred camping. We actually got to sleep the entire night through, instead of having to get up and get ready at some wee hour of the morning. Also, it meant we had our pick of rail spots and I was 10 times more comfortable on the rail than even the second row, where you can see, but it's more cramped, hotter, and there's nowhere to put your hands. Plus, camping means not having to pay for a hotel. However, the UC was a great venue for camping and the weather was perfect, so we had that to our advantage. I guess it depends on the venue and what they offer as far as space, parking, bathrooms, etc.

Chizip said:
if youre just hoping to get into the ellipse it would probably be better to show up around 5 or 6. it seems more people get scanned in around that time, and it doesnt really make sense to wait out all day to just hope to get scanned in.

what time did you get to the arena?

still looking for dallas tickets, so expensive vs the great phoenix tickets i landed (adam's side, 11 row up) for 100 each.

300 level are a $100 for dallas. considering buying a ga package deal for 150. offers a preshow party. would defeat getting in line for a closer to the stage opportunity though.

hate to pay more than 100 a ticket and have crappy seats.

but dallas is as close as they will get to me in OKC.

I camped out for the first time ever for the 9/17 Toronto show. Got there at about 11:30pm the night before the concert (people were already back in line from that nights concert). We were #35 and 36, which was great because even if we hadn't been scanned into the ellipse we would have had a sweet spot outside the ellipse.

I really had a lot of fun camping out. Not what I expected (getting cranky, not sleeping, etc.) I think that if you can do it, go for it! What an experience. :angel:

Wondering the same thing. I have GAs for Atlanta (night2...looking for night 1). We have an overpriced hotel, but at my age, I'd rather get up early rather than camp. I am not sure about mid Nov temps here. It could be 65 or 30...no telling.

Bono's Tart said:

that is so desperate!!

I though you couldnt camp overnight in Boston???

how is that desperate? the lottery system pretty much forces people to do this if they want to assure themselves of a good spot.

Chizip said:

how is that desperate? the lottery system pretty much forces people to do this if they want to assure themselves of a good spot.

fans arriving at 4.30/5am were numbered at around the 45 mark so why camp out??????????
That is way early enough imo.

a lottery does not "force" people to camp out you only need to be in the first 100 or so to get a good spot.

same time again today apparently and similar numbers so why do it???

maybe so you can be number 1 and be right at the tip of the ellipse if you cant get in...

Chizip said:
maybe so you can be number 1 and be right at the tip of the ellipse if you cant get in...

maybe

but i have never camped out and have been front row at every gig on this tour apart from 1( and at most of the other tours as well)
And I'm coming to Boston in December and I bet I get on the rail, without staying on a cold hard pavement all night..

maybe i'm just lucky

I'm sure it can if you have a good crowd of fans.
But as much as I love this band and want to see them as much as possible I just think its a very odd thing to do. I am more than happy to queue for 12/14 hours before a show and sit and talk to new people I just think thats more than long enough.

I think that this wristbanding in Boston and sending fans away until 5pm is fantastic and should be adopted at every venue especially in the States as you seem to have massive issues with queue jumping.

I got to Chicago night before the second show in September at 10pm...we were #5 & 6. Definitely worth it!!! Many others were there as well...

For some people camping out is easier than trying to arrive at 5am. I was at a Pearl Jam show on the 11th, and instead of going home and attempting to go immediately to bed (which would have been useless with that much adrenaline flowing through me), I just drove straight from PJ to line up for the U2 concert the next night. Bring a bottle of wine or something and chill with your friends and then pass out for a while (TIP: Bring earplugs). If you're not drinking, a single sleeping pill is enough to knock you out for a few hours even on the pavement. I'm all for camping out...the sleep deprivation and dehydration just make the concert all the more surreal! heh

Chizip said:

This is all because of what I call the "Old People At The Train Station" Theory.

Have you ever ridden a train? If you get there like 45 minutes early, everyone's sitting down. Why not? The train's not coming for forty-five minutes? Might as well be comfortable. Then comes the old couple. With 30 minutes to go, some 70-year-old couple feels the need to stand up in front of the doorway to ensure that they get onto the train first. Next thing you know, everyone feels like they have to get in line, or else they'll be dead last and have to sit on the floor in the train's bathroom. Lo and behold, we all spend half an hour standing up in line, looking longingly at the empty chairs lining the waiting area that everyone is afraid to sit in for fear of being last on the train.

The more we freak out about being first in line, the earlier and earlier we'll have to get in line. And while there will always be people at both extremes, soon enough we'll have to camp out two days in advance or--as happened last tour--leave a show early to get in line for the next day's show. :confused:

And before you know it, people will start throwing change and sandwiches into Chizip's hat thinking he's homeless....:wink:

Last edited:
Utoo said:

The more we freak out about being first in line, the earlier and earlier we'll have to get in line. And while there will always be people at both extremes, soon enough we'll have to camp out two days in advance or--as happened last tour--leave a show early to get in line for the next day's show. :confused:

Are you telling me that fans left shows early to queue again for the next night???????????????????????:huh:

it gets more ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Aw shucks, camping is not so bad. I've found U2 fans to be relatively cool people anyway.

I do have a GA related question tho....we've got GA for Vegas and my sister's broken her foot and will be on crutches. Sucks I know. Considering getting her a wheelchair..... hwat's it like in the GA in a wheelchair?

This whole business makes me wish there wasn't an ellipse at all

Bono's Tart said:

Are you telling me that fans left shows early to queue again for the next night???????????????????????:huh:

it gets more ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Yup. That's one of the reported reasons why the band went with the lottery for the ellipse. They got tired of seeing the same people in the heart every single night--and then seeing some of these people leave early to secure the same exact spot the next night.

Utoo said:

Yup. That's one of the reported reasons why the band went with the lottery for the ellipse. They got tired of seeing the same people in the heart every single night--and then seeing some of these people leave early to secure the same exact spot the next night.

They must be a very small minority though?

For once I am lost for words!!:huh:

Bono's Tart said:

They must be a very small minority though?

I'd imagine so. Still, there seem to be quite a few people on here going to 30+ shows a tour, so who knows? :shrug:

Utoo said:

I'd imagine so. Still, there seem to be quite a few people on here going to 30+ shows a tour, so who knows? :shrug:

We didnt get the chance to go to 30+ shows, they only played a handful over here in the UK!

And your tix are so much cheaper well the GA tickets are at $49.50 compared to £65 here (around $120!)

Mind you my 2 GA tickets for Boston have cost me $380!

Back
Top Bottom