Bruxelles - part quatre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norsehorse23 said:
ramblin rose... alex gave me a great recording of the 5/18 nj show.. i love it. oh yeah, i wish they had screens like that up when they played in the US... anyway, i am tired and i have to go.

I need to get you guys the lastest 5/26 recording, I can't stop listening to it.

ahhh just got back from belgium (got stuck almost an hour just on the parkinglot)). From reading this i understand people are complaining about the setlist...well i was there and it was soooooooooo cool. I cant wait for them to come to amsterdam so i can see them a few more times , the stage and lighting are absolutely amazing and the heartbeat and flatline before SYCMIOYO gave me the chills. Even the second vertigo was awesome (although i think they could have played 40 after it (or just a part and let the crowd do the rest....

Well im going to sleep converting all this fresh memories into dreams....:drool:

zooholland said:
the heartbeat and flatline before SYCMIOYO

oh for God's sake.

that is too much, and I love u2 to be over the top, but wtf?
that is pushing too many buttons for those of us in the audiece who have lost loved ones.

well i thought it might be over the top too but the way they did it wasnt really (first they used the line before miracle drug and dedicated it to medicine, doctors and nurses the line was not flat then obviously and then before sometimes Bono just said this song is written for my father and then the heartbeat came and went into the flatline and it wasnt that shocking but still very impressive) ...

But maybe im just hyped right now cause i am still very much in the "I just saw U2" kind of fase :wink:

Nice to hear from you Zooholland. Although there are alot of complaints about the setlist here, pretty much everyone is blown away by the visuals.

Regarding the setlist controversy, I can just see this happening:
In some giant European stadium, Please makes it's debut. Bono
and the boys are greeted with 60,000 blank stares as the
entire place deflates (much like American audiences during An
Cat Dubh). Meanwhile, in the comfort of home, hundreds of
Interferencers erupt into rapturous applause.

Mind you, I love Please, but my point here is that all of the songs that are being drooled over on this website may not get more than a handful of cheers when played live.

I like your avatar, GibsonGirl. :wave:

GibsonGirl said:
When you're upset with U2's setlists, simply take a good dose of PITNOL. PITNOL will cause its users to believe that they are not listening to Pride In The Name Of Love/Mysterious Ways/Bullet The Blue Sky/etc., but rather the setlist of their choice. Also, when under the effects of PITNOL, users will see Bono dress up as MacPhisto, shave his head, then grow a mullet, while the rest of the lads zoot around in a twenty foot lemon playing - you guessed it - Lemon.

pitnol.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a lame take on the brilliant PITNOL drug idea that first surfaced at Interference, but I've been feeling rather unoriginal lately.

:lmao:

That is the best thing ever. :bow:

My goodness, when you're barely on Interference for a couple of weeks, you really do come to realise what a pack of whiners we all are. This so-called party in particular seems to have become rather absurd. Now we're whining about a bit of graphics? Geez.

I was there last night. One word: fantastic.

I saw Elevation in Antwerp, but this was much much better. It's by not in a single way Elevation part II.

2Hearts said:
Nice to hear from you Zooholland. Although there are alot of complaints about the setlist here, pretty much everyone is blown away by the visuals.

Regarding the setlist controversy, I can just see this happening:
In some giant European stadium, Please makes it's debut. Bono
and the boys are greeted with 60,000 blank stares as the
entire place deflates (much like American audiences during An
Cat Dubh). Meanwhile, in the comfort of home, hundreds of
Interferencers erupt into rapturous applause.

Mind you, I love Please, but my point here is that all of the songs that are being drooled over on this website may not get more than a handful of cheers when played live.

I can only agree with you on that.

Part of the appeal of seeing U2 live is actually being able to sing along with 40-50-60,000 people to the famous hits...If U2 were a band that toured every year then I'd be disappointed if I was hearing the same old hits all the time. But lets face it, the last time I heard Pride, SBS etc live was 4 years ago....thats long enough for me to not be disappointed by their inclusion, but really happy to think about being able to sign along with these to the masses.

I'd prefer to sing with 60,000 people to Pride than be singing with a fraction of that to Ultraviolet. Even though I love Ultraviolet and would prefer to hear that live. Its all about the atmosphere and experience isnt it really? I get a buzz off those around me...

fluffy123 said:

I can only agree with you on that.

Part of the appeal of seeing U2 live is actually being able to sing along with 40-50-60,000 people to the famous hits...If U2 were a band that toured every year then I'd be disappointed if I was hearing the same old hits all the time. But lets face it, the last time I heard Pride, SBS etc live was 4 years ago....thats long enough for me to not be disappointed by their inclusion, but really happy to think about being able to sign along with these to the masses.

I'd prefer to sing with 60,000 people to Pride than be singing with a fraction of that to Ultraviolet. Even though I love Ultraviolet and would prefer to hear that live. Its all about the atmosphere and experience isnt it really? I get a buzz off those around me...

i still think there are some songs on zooropa/pop that people like... stay, discotheque, staring at the sun, please, gone

no, they aren't super hits, but neither is until the end of the world (never was even a single), but everyone still loves it

well snippets might be a little strong. He just said something like please please get up of your knees now please and that was it (it was over before i realised he was doing a please snippet lol :wink: )

Concert was great though...

ps: Edge was on fire! (and Bonos voice was really superb..)

Last edited:
Holla!

Well, as promised, I rocked out and am now reporting back :)

It was A M A Z I N G !
Very impressive, strong, intimate, rockin', heartfelt and bombastic.
Edge was ON FIRE! Man, he blew me away with his persona, his play, and the way he SMILED SO MUCH!

I was in the blue zone, 10-ish row at the right b-stage (Edges side). The screens were absolutely mindblowing.
I can't even begin to write a comprehensive report about it right now, I'm still in a daze (it's 4pm the next day already, lol), but I can tell you this : the setlist didnt have any surprises, no POP songs, etc...but it's true that you cant really comment on it if you havent seen it live. I would have LOVED hearing some POP-tunes, but hey, at the end of the day, I'm just so happy that I saw them and that those 4 little men on that enormous stage are at the top of their game.

Bono's voice sounded amazing.

Streets really lit up the crowd, that song touched me right through my entire spine, so powerfull.

The pulse and flatline in MD into SYCMIOYO wasnt over the top imo, it was brought just perfectly.

I'll write more later, if anyone has questions, go ahead!

I'm so glad to hear some 1st hand reports. I was pretty confident that the people that went would come back happy.:up:

I've seen some pretty great pictures taken from an audience member on u2.com and it looked absolutely unbelivable.

edited to say: Wow, I saw some concert pictures on Pleba and it looks absolutely breathtaking.

59 days to Barcelona.:drool: :drool: :hyper: :hyper:

Last edited:
I'm not going to go back and read all the whining from people who weren't even there but let me just say that last night was a fantastic show!

The boys were all up for it and they had the crowd going from the start...Bono's voice was excellent, what happened there? Have only seen MSG and Philly 2 before last night and thought the B-man had some problems at those gigs...I have four more shows this week so it will be interesting to compare after that.

Loved the AB encore, Zoo St. rocked, with the new screens creating a perfect backdrop! The lights and graphics were awesome.

Anyone who expected some new songs last night has obviously never followed U2 on previous tours...they were always going to play it safe first night in, the true test will come with the 2 date shows as to how they will change things around but think it might be Dublin3 and Amsterdam3 before we see anything 'rare'.

I go to see U2 live and, while hoping they will play something off the cuff, they have never disappointed me with their performance and I don't expect that to happen...

Roll on Manchester!

BTW Edge rocks :up: :edge:

I totally envy you KBRY, youve seen american shows too :drool: I do hope youre right on the amsterdam shows....Three days of totally different songs LOL....who knows..Lemon, So cruel, dirty day and a personal favourite of mine Tryin to throw you arm..with the champagne thing (Yeah i know im gonna dream on!!)

But if its not a Very different setlist I am probably still gonna like it very much (funny to see the difference if youre actually went or just seeing the songs on paper without all the feelings / assiciations involved)

Elevation is WOW! live!

Edge was smiling from ear to ear when he heared the crowd going "woohooo, woohoooo" and the band teased us by delaying the actual take-off of the song after the guitar into. We kept going wooohooo woooohoooo :)

It was still light out, sun was setting slowly and the crowd went CRAZY!

Well, I was stage left right in front of the stacks and at times the crowd sang louder than Bono! They did the woo-hoo's in Elevation also, plus SBS and Pride went over well...

I am not too fond of the idea of playing Vertigo twice but I must admit it got the crowd rocking...

That was Larry's call, by the way, Bono was on the B stage running back and he said something like "Larry, what is it gonna be, (?) or punk rock? It is up to you Larry Mullen Jr!!" Obviously, Larry then went into the Vertigo opener...

ramblin rose said:
So was the crowd loud? I can't imagine Elevation with the 50,000 people.....how was it?

yeah they were definetly loud...especially with the song the majority of the people knew...The reaction to Sunday bloody sunday really had me surprised...everybody went nuts. Also where the streets..was a very big crowdpleaser (Duh!) and believe it or not the second Vertigo was awesome to (Bono adding the stories for boys part and letting larry decide what to play last....well encore is italian...it means we played it before..and were gonna F@ing play it AGAIN ...Uno dos...very funny I think he knows about the controversy about playing songs twice..lol. Left the crowd with a bang though

zooholland said:

yeah they were definetly loud...especially with the song the majority of the people knew...The reaction to Sunday bloody sunday really had me surprised...everybody went nuts. Also where the streets..was a very big crowdpleaser (Duh!) and believe it or not the second Vertigo was awesome to (Bono adding the stories for boys part and letting larry decide what to play last....well encore is italian...it means we played it before..and were gonna F@ing play it AGAIN ...Uno dos...very funny I think he knows about the controversy about playing songs twice..lol. Left the crowd with a bang though

Hey, I believe the reaction to Vertigo II, it's better live than on paper. When I actually experienced it at MSG and Boston III is was a great crowd pleaser.

So what are the tour shirts like, are they the same as what they sold here?

So the crowd really went for Vertigo 2? I think it's most effective when it's a surprise, but the more they do it the novelty wears off. It's still a killer song live though, no matter how many times they play it.

I'd like to know which HTDAAB songs got the best response. Also, I think COBL is a great song to play while the sun is going down. At what time did they play it last night?

Personally, I liked Vertigo II, but would have liked it even more if they had done 40 after that, to settle us down a bit :)

COBL was indeed played with the sun setting down.

As for the best received HTDAAB, hard to say...I dont really have an answer to that, I'd say Vertigo and LAPOE...what do the others think?

I have to say that I was waiting for Crumbs and/or OOTS to no avail :(

Back
Top Bottom