Brisbane Setlist & Watch Party Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on the concert, you guys deserve after missing out since 1998 or however long it's been ...

ANgel of Harlem was a surprise, but it was such a party and if you were there, you would have seen it fitted so well!! It was a great touch. The most important thing i think was the band were having such a great time. Bono couldnt keep the smile off his face for most of it. I'll never forget this - these boys rocked their lives out for us

:scratch: Are the setlist watch party threads going to be in this forum now? Even though this is the setlist forum, it seemed to fit better in the main tour forum. Why change now after 4 prior legs doing it the other way? Just asking. :)

Blue Room said:
Good to see a few changes. Unfortunately it looks like the Aussies are going to miss one of the Vertigo tour highlights, Electric Co.

It's called Sydney III. I hope, anyway. :wink:

Blue Room said:
:scratch: Are the setlist watch party threads going to be in this forum now? Even though this is the setlist forum, it seemed to fit better in the main tour forum. Why change now after 4 prior legs doing it the other way? Just asking. :)

I agree entirely. We've had over 100 setlist parties in the main forum without any problems (at least with regards to where the thread belongs, not other matters! :lol: ). Although the strict focus is indeed the concert setlists, the threads have acquired a far more general tour focus than that and are far more suited to the general forum.

So would the mods please move this back to where it belongs?

Good changes to the set. A litle surprised not to see Stuck... though it would be there. Im sure we will see it at some stage in Australia, though I hope its not at the expense of walk on or kite.

oh i cant wait for the first sydney show, just over wo days togo!!!!!!

Blue Room said:

Good to see a few changes. Unfortunately it looks like the Aussies are going to miss one of the Vertigo tour highlights, Electric Co.

Well, when Dallas was soundchecking he did play the riff from it. He also played desire. Other than that he pretty much just played the set straight through

fullautoreverse said:

where you there with your sister? your folks came and brought subway for lunch?! i was the person in front of you! did you go and watch them rehearse last night? and make those 'theres bono!' jokes?!

yer that was me with my sister!

there were afew people infront of me....... perhaps you were the tanned guy in with the gottie who was with ur sunburnt friend?

and yer, those "omg look, its bono" jokes are rather amusing from time to time :wink:

Good to see this thread is now back where it belongs! :up:

shortfuse said:
Good changes to the set. A litle surprised not to see Stuck... though it would be there. Im sure we will see it at some stage in Australia, though I hope its not at the expense of walk on or kite.

I too was surprised; I had predicted it to be a certainty for every Aussie show and they have rehearsed it. Well, now I predict it will show up by the end of Sydney II. BD/Stuck/Walk On perhaps? I'd most like to see Yahweh and SYCMIOYO go - I felt they were the two dead weights last night, especially SYCMIOYO.

miracledrug83 said:

Well, when Dallas was soundchecking he did play the riff from it. He also played desire. Other than that he pretty much just played the set straight through

Dallas also used to do The Fly guitar riff testing Edge's gear on Popmart all the time. Never turned up.

I think Electric Co could be done, and I hope it is for you guys. But I wouldn't base it on Dallas using the riff to tune Edge's guitar as a sign its on the way.

one question:

how did the ending to Walk On go? did they do the hallelujahs ala Elevation Tour 3rd leg?

Hello y'all!

Well what a great show U2 played last night. Not the best U2 show I have seen by any means, but still great! The best thing out of it for me was forcing my friends (who arent really U2 fans) to line up at 3 with my and have them complain and complain all day! Come show time, they were BLOWN AWAY by the band and all agreed lining up was the best thing to do!

Onto the show...lots of anticipation at the start with a long delay due to security (shit security I might add) not getting people in in time. As a result, there were multiple mexican waves and the crowd were really pumped come show time. For a brissie crowd, they went off! Even in the stands people were up on their feet! I was in between to two b-stages and we were all going mental. There was plenty of room around us though which was great. Im glad they didnt pack the front section too much.

The band played quite well. A few mistakes crept in here and there but nothing to spoil the show and nothing a normal fan would even really notice. I think they went out of time a bit in Walk On and Edge's guitar dropped out a little in Vertigo but nothing too much more than that!

Sometimes was beautiful and I was right in front of Bono when he sung it. You could see the pain and emotion on his face and it was a great moment.

He did the flare routine at the end of Bullet and I am pretty sure the smoke from that fucked up his voice for Miss Sarajevo. He struggled a little with the operatic part but he hit the big notes pretty well and got a very good crowd response.

He was in a great mood for the show and was very charasmatic. At the end of Streets he was at the b-stage (Edge's side) and just went nuts! Jumping up and down and waving his hands in a fit of joy! It was really cool and my favourite moment!

The encore was pretty good, I felt the band were just really trying to hold it together in The Fly and got together in a circle and played it to themselves. Im sure it will rock out more in Sydney! With or Without You was beautiful! My friends had tears in their eyes!

I thought Saints was done okay. A bit of a downer in the set though. Some people around us got into it but meh...its a so-so song at best. Angel was cool with Bono doing an extended harmonica solo at the end. The crowd loved that. He also did a different verse which sounded cool! He may or may not have done a little bit of his Bob Dylan impression that he did in the rehearsals too...I wont know that till the bootleg I guess! Kite was lovely and a great ending to a great show. Edge was on fire and did a fantastic solo. The band left the stage and 'how long...' was sung by the crowd loudly for several minutes after the show...amazing!

Overall, a great show in Brisbane from the best band in the world!!

Nope. Just like the other Vertigo shows.

Another note: Bono thanked God all members of the band's family were now healthy and hoped everyone in the audience's families were all healthy too. It was a touching moment.

Axver said:

I don't suppose you know if Bono snippeted something at the end of COBL?

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I heard it as a (rather poor) snippet of The Go-Betweens' "Streets of Your Town".... eg 'round and round, up and down, through the streets of your town. Everyday now, I make my way, through the streets of your town."

The Go-Betweens were a Brisbane (Qld at least) band and I know that Bono was a fan of G.W McLennan, their singer.

This was also the song that came on immediately after the house lights - the walk-out song.

It was an awesome night - I'm still buzzing, despite the 6am flight back to Sydney this morning! Bring on Friday...

shika said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I heard it as a (rather poor) snippet of The Go-Betweens' "Streets of Your Town".... eg 'round and round, up and down, through the streets of your town. Everyday now, I make my way, through the streets of your town."

Yep, I picked up on that: it was in both Elevation and With Or Without You.

COBL had something different, to do with rain (in reference to yesterday's downpour during the rehearsal).

hmmm, can't help on that one. I do recall him saying that you could trust the Irish to bring the weather. I was surprised that he didn't mention the horsies - or did I miss that as well?!!

Axver said:

Yep, I picked up on that: it was in both Elevation and With Or Without You.

COBL had something different, to do with rain (in reference to yesterday's downpour during the rehearsal).

You can listen to some audio that was posted in the audio/video forum. I heard it earlier today, and I think he just repeated 'when the rain comes' 2 times. Which could still be a Beatles snippet :shrug:

oh, and thanks Mods for moving the thread back to this forum. I was confused earlier in the day with all the moves, which made no sense

too all those ppl who got into the ellipse, what was the cut-off time that people got pushed back into general GA?

No - if Sydney starts at 9:00pm, for example, that will be 2:00am PST time tonite/Friday morning

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

found this on Telstra Stadium's site:

Event Times:

Gates Open: TBA
Support Act: Kanye West 7pm
Main Event: U2 8.30pm
Event finish: approximately 11pm

which would mean the show might start at about 1:30am-ish. Works out better for me. Hope we have a source!

Last edited:
elche said:
too all those ppl who got into the ellipse, what was the cut-off time that people got pushed back into general GA?

No time cut off, I think there may have been a 2500 people cut off limit

Back
Top Bottom