Boston II vs Boston III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rica

The Fly
I know the answer is subjective but I'm curious of a comparison of these 2 shows from fans who were lucky enough to catch both. I saw Boston I and Boston III and these shows don't even come close to each other but I met a few fans and read the reviews of Boston II (before the Boston III show) who said it was the best ever. If you had to pick one show out of the 3 Boston shows, which one would it be?

I went to all three, and I'd put Boston1 as the worst (a very lackluster show, according to almost everyone). Boston3 was MUCH better, with a very carefree - almost sloppy - performance by the band. But nothing tops Boston2, one of the three best U2 shows I've ever seen (out of 15).... truly "electric".

It's a very close call for me. I went to all three and I think II and III each have their own pros and cons. I'd give a very slight edge to Boston II though. I think the band was really at the top of its game that night and any show with Out of Control is going to get the nod from me.

If Boston II was just an average U2 show, it would have been better than night 3. I was very disappointed after Saturday night. It seemed like they were mailing it in. If you compared Saturday nights show to any other band (except Bruce and the ESB), it would have been great. But when you compare it against their other shows, I thought Saturday stunk. I'm sure I am in the minority about this but that's how I (and my wife, too) feel about Boston III. Maybe we expected too much because it was the last night in Boston and the U.S. ????

First of all I'll say that I enjoyed the whole week that I spent in Boston. I will definately try to go back because it was an overall good time and great town.

In terms of ranking for me there is no contest:

Boston II, Boston III (close 2nd), Boston I (my a large margin).

Boston II ranks # 1 as my overall Vertigo show experience (in fact Boston II and Boston III surpass MSG).

MusicalJourneyman said:
If Boston II was just an average U2 show, it would have been better than night 3. I was very disappointed after Saturday night. It seemed like they were mailing it in. If you compared Saturday nights show to any other band (except Bruce and the ESB), it would have been great. But when you compare it against their other shows, I thought Saturday stunk. I'm sure I am in the minority about this but that's how I (and my wife, too) feel about Boston III. Maybe we expected too much because it was the last night in Boston and the U.S. ????

I think Boston3 suffers for two reasons: unreasonably high expectations because it's the last show of the leg, and coming right after arguably the best show of the leg.

To be blunt, I felt U2 "shot their wad" on Thursday, leaving them spent when Saturday rolled around.

I wish I was at Boston III just to make a reasonable comparison. I was at Boston I and II, and while I thought the 1st show was terrific, the Thursday night show was probably the single greatest concert experience of my life, and I have many shows and tours behind me.

Having said that, Saturday was probably set up to disappoint, as the expectations of meeting or eclipsing Thursday night's show were completely unreasonable.

MusicalJourneyman said:
maybe you did considering pretty much every other review is saying how good the show was,

how can anyone complain after getting the tour debut of wild horses? and party girl thrown in also, then you had bono with the champagne aka ZooTv

jeebus i would frickin have died

I'd give the edge (no pun) to Boston 2 over Boston 3. Both were great, but I would put Boston 2 in my top five all time. I've seen six shows this tour, and the two Boston gigs blow away the other shows I saw on this tour.

Boston I, lacklustre? Yeah, I guess that explains why everyone I could see in section 307 were on their feet. I guess that explains why I sat around for ages after the show with my friend talking about how incredible it was. Geez.

And Boston II versus Boston III? I don't know if I can pick. Both were sensational, incredible, mindblowingly brilliant shows. Performance-wise, I think Boston II gets the nod, but for overall experience, I think I have to go for Boston III.

I went to every show in the eastern time zone and Boston 3 was the best out of all of them. Maybe that was because I was pretty much on the rail, though. Boston 2 was incredible as well. But i prefer Boston 3.

I wouldn't say Boston 1 was lackluster, but I would say it was a "standard" show by U2 standards. Both of the shows that followed had incredible levels of energy that just weren't there on Tuesday. Plus, Boston 1 had a standard setlist, little crowd interaction from Bono and nothing that proved that this wasn't Topeka or Seattle, nothing to set it apart.

I guess as a 20+ year Boston fan, I'm spoiled. I just mentioned to a friend of mine that if you're ever given the choice between consecutive nights in Boston, always go for the last ones. The first one is "what everyone else gets to see," who don't get multiple nights, that is.

I agree, I think they and we were spent after Thursday (the end of tour wrap party being Thursday probably sealed it for them mentally too) but Saturday's show was nothing to sneeze at either.

As much as I wanted to hear them, I think An Cat Dubh and Into the Heart sucked the life out of Boston III. I didn't recover from those until close to the encore. There was a passion and an energy coming off LAPOE, Vertigo and Elevation that was completely lost after Electric Co. and it was hard to find it again after that.

If I could take the first 4 songs out of Saturday, plug in those until the encore from Thursday, take Saturday's encore and add OOC and OOTS, I'd be perfectly happy....

I vote that Love and Peace opens from here on it. That was fabulous and I felt much more effective than COBL, which I wish was back to back with Streets....

Yea, Boston 3 was a great show! I had seats way up in the back, but still this show rocked... Performance wise, it was a bit sloppy, sounded like the San Diego shows where Bono is holding back a little. Also Bono kept looking back at Larry and Edge pointing to his eyes and his ears... As if to say "watch for the changes" I think they all had a few problems keeping it together.

Great to hear Until the End of the World again, and party girl was a nice bonus!

Now the wait starts until the boys return in the fall
:(

chrisjnyc said:
Yea, Boston 3 was a great show! I had seats way up in the back, but still this show rocked... Performance wise, it was a bit sloppy, sounded like the San Diego shows where Bono is holding back a little. Also Bono kept looking back at Larry and Edge pointing to his eyes and his ears... As if to say "watch for the changes" I think they all had a few problems keeping it together.

Great to hear Until the End of the World again, and party girl was a nice bonus!

Now the wait starts until the boys return in the fall
:(
really? i just listend to boston 3 and didnt notice many mistakes at all? and bono didnt hold anything back for wild horses

KUEFC09U2 said:
really? i just listend to boston 3 and didnt notice many mistakes at all? and bono didnt hold anything back for wild horses

They butchered Electric Co, with Larry jumping to the chorus about four bars ahead of everyone else. At one point, Bono was turned around and pointing to Adam to get everyone back on the same beat. They seemed to have trouble staying together all night. I'm convinced that's why UTEOTW was done on the main stage.

hibricc said:

They butchered Electric Co, with Larry jumping to the chorus about four bars ahead of everyone else. At one point, Bono was turned around and pointing to Adam to get everyone back on the same beat. They seemed to have trouble staying together all night. I'm convinced that's why UTEOTW was done on the main stage.
oh right cool, :) they were probabley all just drunk, hence looking to adam, the only one that dosent drink, to get them back together

Good thread!

I got to all 3 Boston shows. I'm up to 18 shows from '87 - Present day.

Tuesday - good, but not great. Kind of like the girlfiend you have to get rid of. There's nothing wrong with her, just nothing special either.

Thursday - The best of the 3. Everything from the band execution, crowd, sound, and spontaneity. Nothing wrong, in fact everything right - we had complete lift of with an amazing encore. U2 got lift-off in a major way Thursday! I've only seen them better twice. 6/9/01 and 10/31/01

Saturday - Not too far behind Thursday. In fact, the crowd was probably just as good. The band even had some great surprises for us. I think Saturday's show could have reached the heights of Thursdays if it finished up with something other than a repeat of the #2 song in the set.

Hey, I love Vertigo, but twice??? I know it's been done several times during the tour but it's not like these guys have a small catalog of great hits.

Wild Horses and Party Girl were great, but they don't make up for the perfect tempo we had going on Thursday IMHO.

An Cat Dubh -> Into the Heart brings the show down more so than "The Ocean" due to it's length.

Anyone else notice the crew packing it all up with 3 songs left to go??? They were outta there Saturday night!

Dave

Last edited:
We went to all 3
We enjoyed them for different reasons......
It was a great experience I hope they use some of all if making a Live Cd
and Chicago and NYC and West Coast....
Best ...

I was at Boston II and III. For Boston II I was in section 308 facing the stage straight-on from the other end. For Boston III I was up behind the stage in Section 325, but in row 2. I won't let my locations at either show color my comments.

To be succinct, I think the band was a tiny bit better for Boston III than II. I say this not based on the set list, but musically how they played. OOTS during Boston II was a bit butchered at the start. The start of OOC was, too, but I thought that this was a fabulous bit of humour as Bono tried to rein Adam in.

The crowd was a fair bit better for II than III. (editorial comment: why would a THURSDAY crowd be more into it than a SATURDAY one???)

We all agree that the overall concert experience is a sum of those two elements, so my nod--and I think I'm in the majority here--goes to Boston II. But like you all say, Boston III was massive too. In the end, this is like comparing an A+++ show with an A++ one.

Chris in NH

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in...

I went to all 3 Boston shows and really enjoyed all 3. I don't really get all this "going through the motions" thing when it comes to Boston 1. I was exhausted at the end of each show because I fould all of them to be very exciting, emotional, and special.

Boston 2 was certainly special. My 2nd favorite show ever behind Boston 4 on Elevation. 2nd and 3rd encores were unbelievable.

Boston 3 was great as well being the last night of the leg, Wild Horses, Party Girl, the champagne, U2 Day in Boston, etc.

But, Boston 1 was really fun as well. For me, it was the first time hearing the new music live, and it BLEW me away.

Here's to Leg 3!!!

I cannot believe anyone is criticising these shows.

Sheer perfection. Totally worth the trip from Australia.

U2 were fantastic at Boston 2 because they knew I would be there. :wink:

I have a coworker who saw Boston 1. I have another coworker who saw Boston 3.

The Boston 1 coworker said the show was good, but I can tell something was missing in his description. It was clear he wasn't blown away.

I went to Boston 2. I had seen the show on May 9th and 10th in Chicago. WOW! - that's all I can say. Boston 2 not only blew away those two Chicago shows, but even some of the shows I've seen on past tours. I think my first time seeing U2 live - in March 1992 in Chicago - is my favorite. This Boston 2 performance is a close second. It was that good.

Having just listened to Boston 3, I can say that Boston 2 was better, IMO. My other coworker who saw Boston 3 didn't really talk much about the show - rather, she was all happy as she not only got into the ellipse (I'm so jealous!) but she got to touch Bono! In fact, she also made it onto the Elevation Boston DVD! She has that knack. While that seemed to excite her, I didn't get the feeling from her that the show was outstanding.

From the boots I've heard, Boston 2 wins. Bono's voice is in excellent form, they mixed up the set-list something spectacular (especially in the encores) and the crowd was beyond thunderous! IMO, Boston 2 was *the* best show of the tour so far.

One thing we can say for sure, after all the pretour Boston vs NYC discussion, Boston wins leg 1 hands down. The fall may be a different story with all the MSG dates, but spring goes to Beantown.
Is it October yet?

Hewson said:
One thing we can say for sure, after all the pretour Boston vs NYC discussion, Boston wins leg 1 hands down. The fall may be a different story with all the MSG dates, but spring goes to Beantown.
Is it October yet?

124 days and counting....

I was at Boston II and Boston III. Personally, I enjoyed III more than II. Why? Electric Co, An Cat Dabh, Into The Heart & Vertigo twice. I'm hardcore U2 (like many of you) and I wanted to hear Electric Co, An Cat Dabh, and Into the Heart live. I also happen to be insanely in love with Vertigo live, and was thrilled to have it close the show in addition to it's #2 slot in the setlist.

I dare say that song selection to most fans seems to be the critical and defining element in determining which show was "better". In other words, a fan's song preference is huge when picking the "better" show. The common theme I see in the posts hear is the setlist night 2 vs. night 3, with night 2 preferrable to most fans vs. night 3. Night 2 gets the nod because folks posting here prefer Gloria/Ocean instead of An Cat Dabh/Into The Heart and they prefer an spontaneous OOC in addition to OOTS instead of Party Girl/Vertigo part deux. Really explains why I prefer III to II...it's because I preferred night III setlist to night II. That really seems it in a nutshell.

Performance wise, both nights had some screwups, night 3 perhaps a tad more than night 2. Personally, I enjoy the screwups, makes the performance more "real" to me and less robotic. It's been my U2 concert experience that when the band is "perfect" in their performance, I'm less inclined to have enjoyed it as much as those concert performances that have flaws in them. Call me crazy but thats how I look at it.

I also give III the nod because I was surrounded by less casual and fair weather fans during Boston III and more diehards. Let me tell you, it DOES make a difference!

So, I give the nod to Boston III over II with both shows ranking high on my all-time great U2 shows.

Like someone to blame said:
I was at Boston II and Boston III. Personally, I enjoyed III more than II. Why? Electric Co, An Cat Dabh, Into The Heart & Vertigo twice. I'm hardcore U2 (like many of you) and I wanted to hear Electric Co, An Cat Dabh, and Into the Heart live. I also happen to be insanely in love with Vertigo live, and was thrilled to have it close the show in addition to it's #2 slot in the setlist.

I dare say that song selection to most fans seems to be the critical and defining element in determining which show was "better". In other words, a fan's song preference is huge when picking the "better" show. The common theme I see in the posts hear is the setlist night 2 vs. night 3, with night 2 preferrable to most fans vs. night 3. Night 2 gets the nod because folks posting here prefer Gloria/Ocean instead of An Cat Dabh/Into The Heart and they prefer an spontaneous OOC in addition to OOTS instead of Party Girl/Vertigo part deux. Really explains why I prefer III to II...it's because I preferred night III setlist to night II. That really seems it in a nutshell.

Performance wise, both nights had some screwups, night 3 perhaps a tad more than night 2. Personally, I enjoy the screwups, makes the performance more "real" to me and less robotic. It's been my U2 concert experience that when the band is "perfect" in their performance, I'm less inclined to have enjoyed it as much as those concert performances that have flaws in them. Call me crazy but thats how I look at it.

I also give III the nod because I was surrounded by less casual and fair weather fans during Boston III and more diehards. Let me tell you, it DOES make a difference!

So, I give the nod to Boston III over II with both shows ranking high on my all-time great U2 shows.

As stated earlier, I wish I made it to Boston III just to make a comparison. I had next to no interest in going up for Saturday's show...not because of standing in line for VIP tix, paying through the nose to a scalper off the street, or what have you. I just couldn't imagine that show topping Thursday's. I have about 15-20 shows under my belt since 1983, and I can't remember anything quite like that night. The performances were sensational, the surprises were many and the crowd was thunderous.

To top it all off, the crowd was singing the chorus to 40 long after the band had called it a night. I never had such an experience nor heard of one before. They didn't even play the song, just a snippet in the middle of Bad. That crowd had something that night. Noe of us in attendance will ever forget it.

Back
Top Bottom