"booooo!!"x50.000 for Bush&Blair. Was it the same in US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was lucky enough to be at the shows where they showed Bush & Clinton (I don't ever remember Gore on the screen). And there was total silence, because as someone pointed out earlier you couldn't boo one and cheer at the same time for the other. So everyone had this stupified look on their face until the slot machine started moving again.:huh:

NHChris said:

BRAVO! There's someone that 'GETS IT!' I don't mind if people boo the President. Geez, I'd be right there too if Clintoon was up there on screen. Or the clown Kofi Annan that runs the UN. Or half a dozen other 'Leaders.' But 'sincerity' goes right out the window when you come with hat-in-hand, imploring the U.S. to give tons of money WHILE MOST EUROPEAN COUNTRIES SIT ON THE SIDELINES LOOKING AT THEIR TOES. And then use a portion of your show to SPIT at the President while inciting the people of SAID EUROPEAN COUNTRIES TO DO LIKEWISE!

U2 has to put together this whole expensive outdoor gig that won't break even until SEPTEMBER, if at all. U2 could play on a PLAIN, INEXPENSIVE stage and STILL sell out those football stadiums. And THEN THEY'D HAVE A BIG PROFIT, AND OF COURSE A PORTION OF IT WOULD GO TO FAMINE RELIEF. But NO! Where's the grand gesture from U2 to send a portion of their concert ticket sales to famine relief? HUH? Much easier to say 'we aren't going to break even' and throw a picture of Bush on the screen for people to boo and hiss at.

And then U2 will come to the MCI Center in D.C. this fall and be all lovey-dovey again with Bush. Photo ops, no doubt, will be the order of the day. Bono shaking Bush's hand, thanking him for contributing to famine relief. What a hypocrite.

Speaking of pictures that we can pile up and burn: Any high-ranking official from the U.N., starting with Kofi Annan.

Finally, someone with an IQ over 100.

redhill said:
Hey financeguy - where did you get the pic for that cool avatar?

Could you share a full size or post a link?

I know that is Achtung Baby era... but where is it from?

Thanks

It is in the standard list of avatars.

NHChris said:
But 'sincerity' goes right out the window when you come with hat-in-hand, imploring the U.S. to give tons of money WHILE MOST EUROPEAN COUNTRIES SIT ON THE SIDELINES LOOKING AT THEIR TOES. And then use a portion of your show to SPIT at the President while inciting the people of SAID EUROPEAN COUNTRIES TO DO LIKEWISE!

Actually, many European countries are not just "looking at their toes," unless that means already giving 0.7% of their GNP to foreign aid. Our lovely president has declared that we will never do this. Instead, we'll save the world with war and forcing 'democracy,' instead of helping to end poverty and other social conditions that breed corruption & distaste from the start.

I'm an American & love my country, but we have to be thinkers instead of blind patriots. We've got to see that we're not living up to promises, we're often not more than big words. Most of the money that Bush pledged to fight AIDS in Africa has not been delivered--nor has there even been an outline to deliver. Tony Blair came here days ago with a plan for us to take our fair share in aid, and Bush quashed that plan---pledging a mere fraction of what Blair proposed & what would be our fair share----and then using the press conference to make it seem like we'd made this wonderful agreement & that the US is taking the lead in Africa!

We cannot lead by example if we don't practice what we preach. In fact, we'd do much better right now as followers--and match what several European countries have done already.

Poor bathiu! The original post pleaded for us to keep this thread from becoming a political debate! :p

nuke126 said:
sad to see so many u2 fans are douchebag liberals. u2 should stay out of political issues and backstabing people like Bush after Bono sucking his balls for money, then putting his picture on screens to be booed at. cheap shot bono, not cool. and if i was Bush i wouldn't say another kind word about Bono and wouldn't deal with any more of his shit. time to shut up and sing, you're supposed to be a rock singer, act like it.

I could make a better man than Bush out of a banana.

NHChris said:
And then U2 will come to the MCI Center in D.C. this fall and be all lovey-dovey again with Bush. Photo ops, no doubt, will be the order of the day. Bono shaking Bush's hand, thanking him for contributing to famine relief. What a hypocrite.

Bush is a liar and a scoundrel, who fully deserves to be shown up/mocked at every opportunity, but unfortunately 80% of the media have failed in their duty to expose him.

For more info/research/background reading, check out Paul Krugman's "The Great Unravelling" or Kevin Phillips "American Dynasty". It's ok, they're both Americans so you don't have to corrupt your mind by reading anything by a European as I know this would be hateful to you.

On your last point, I agree that once U2 come back to the US, Bono will be doing the lovey-dovey job with Bush again. So unfortunately I agree that Bono is a hypcrite.

ramblin rose said:
I was lucky enough to be at the shows where they showed Bush & Clinton (I don't ever remember Gore on the screen). And there was total silence, because as someone pointed out earlier you couldn't boo one and cheer at the same time for the other. So everyone had this stupified look on their face until the slot machine started moving again.:huh:

hehe, that's awesome! very smart idea.

guys lets take a step back now: its the zootv set. remember zootv? yknow, cultural overload? well, bush *is* sort of the president, and represents a lot of different things for different people. putting bush and clinton on a screen together, leaving people confused/speechless, is a great idea and makes a relevant point.

why do some people automatically assume their taking a potshot at bush in particular?

the hysterical freak-out posts on here are so comical. all u2 is doing is putting up photos of these guys--bush, blair, clinton, gore--whoever.
they are not giving them big ups or slagging them off. it is up to the audience to decide whether to cheer or boo.

and the geniuses suggesting u2 should stay out of politics-- do yourselves a favor and just go find yourself another band to listen to-- cause that is NEVER going to happen.

Oh my fucking GOD that intro was incredible :drool: They'd better make a DVD in Europe, cuz that screen is AMAZING...it's like ZooTV and Popmart rolled into one... :combust: thanks a million for the upload, bathiu.

As for the Bush and Blair thing...I don't think it was a political statement from U2, yeesh people, calm down. This thread is getting OUT OF CONTROL! *starts singing*

It would be cool if they put Stephen Harper on the slot machine for the Toronto show. Because I would boo. A lot. :drool:

I know this thread was not suppossed to get political, but its clearly too late. Besides, I love political discussions...

I am a lifelong Republican and have loved U2 for over 20 years. You can apply whatever stereotype you want to the Repulican label, but the reality is there are two main political parties in the US, and I doubt many people fall 100% into either category. To say that being a Republican and a U2 fan is somehow in conflict is ridiculous. With U2, its always been about the music first, the spirit and emotion second, and the message (which I agree with sometimes, sometimes I don't) last.

Besides, aren't we all suppossed to be open minded? That why I watch both Fox News and the Communist News Network (CNN). Thats why I watched Michael Moore's "Farenheight 911" (and laughed at most of it). Thats why I read both the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal. And thats why I can listen to and love a liberal-leaning band like U2. I form an opinion based on educating myself on both sides of the issues, and not every issue is black and white.

Most people I encounter who hate Bush decided they hated him in 2000 and will never give him a chance. And to the Euros who thought Americans were "stupid" for reelecting Bush, how much do you know about his opponent Kerry? Many people voted for Bush because he was the BETTER candidate, not because they blindly followed everything he advocated.

redsox04 said:
I know this thread was not suppossed to get political, but its clearly too late. Besides, I love political discussions...

I am a lifelong Republican and have loved U2 for over 20 years. You can apply whatever stereotype you want to the Repulican label, but the reality is there are two main political parties in the US, and I doubt many people fall 100% into either category. To say that being a Republican and a U2 fan is somehow in conflict is ridiculous. With U2, its always been about the music first, the spirit and emotion second, and the message (which I agree with sometimes, sometimes I don't) last.

Besides, aren't we all suppossed to be open minded? That why I watch both Fox News and the Communist News Network (CNN). Thats why I watched Michael Moore's "Farenheight 911" (and laughed at most of it). Thats why I read both the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal. And thats why I can listen to and love a liberal-leaning band like U2. I form an opinion based on educating myself on both sides of the issues, and not every issue is black and white.

Most people I encounter who hate Bush decided they hated him in 2000 and will never give him a chance. And to the Euros who thought Americans were "stupid" for reelecting Bush, how much do you know about his opponent Kerry? Many people voted for Bush because he was the BETTER candidate, not because they blindly followed everything he advocated.

A reasonable post, apart from the 'Communist New Network' bit which I assume was a joke. CNN is a mildy liberal leaning channel AT MOST.

You are right - of course U2's fanbase includes many Republicans.

i agree that wholesale republican bashing is wrong. but then so is the bashing of the liberals taking place here. bono shows tolerance and dare i say it, affection, for BOTH sides.
it's disconcerting that many of his fans are unable to do the same.

yeah it seems like most of the fans here just don't get it. at all. it's kind of sad.

either way, you have to wonder why it is that people can't see the humor and the ridiculousness of this all. don't you guys remember what the whole zootv thing was about? how about juxtaposing all of the messages you're bombarded with all the time, so that everything seems ridiculous....

more importantly, though.....
the debt cancellation the other day was huge, and no one seems to speak positively about that at all.

this is a defining moment for both parties, and people just seem to enjoy bickering rather than moving forward.

ugh. let's hope that people start seeing the good rather than trying to pick fights.

bathiu said:

Tolerance - a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve. Authoritarian systems practice the opposite of tolerance, intolerance. Tolerance is seen as a more widely acceptable term than "acceptance" and particularly "respect," where the application to controversial parties is concerned. Tolerance implies both the ability to punish and the conscious decision not to. It is usually applied to non-violent, consensual behavior, often involving religion, sex, or politics. It rarely permits violent behavior.

In the wider sociological sense, "tolerance" carries with it the understanding that "intolerance" and conformity breeds violence and social instability. "Tolerance" has thus become the social term of choice to define the practical rationale of permitting uncommon social practice and diversity. One only tolerates people who are disliked for their differences. While people deemed undesirable may be disapproved of, "tolerance" would require that the party or group in question be left undisturbed, physically or otherwise, and that criticism directed toward them be free of inflammatory or inciteful efforts.

Come on republicans (and by that I mean only them, not other right-wing parties) give me some more lessons of tolerance "free of inflammatory or inciteful efforts"....:rolleyes:

You really don't get it. You don't know any Republicans, you have a myopic vision of the world, and you don't even want to find some common ground to make this place any better.

Is it fair to criticize them? Sure. But you're just hating without trying to understand the other side in any meaningful way. And, sadly, loving it. Sounds a lot like those pesky Republicans who don't understand Islam.

If your whole basis for this definition was the war, so be it. You think nothing good will come of it, you think it would have been better to have Saddam in power, you think the casualties of the war were just as unjust as the mass graves in Iraq. Some people disagree. The point is, the issue is grey. Both sides have legitimate points, whether you want to see and admit them or not. I certainly will. I think the mistake was making the deal during the Gulf War. And, of course, they went about it all very badly. Problem is, I think it might eventually be a good thing.

Bono himself changed when he started meeting the other side. Too bad you're too ignorant to want to do the same. And on the whole, it's very sad to see people criticize Bono when he helped get as much funding as he did. If it meant saving a million people, I'd do a lot worse than shake hands with the enemy. It's upsetting to me that some other Europeans (and plenty of Americans) are above that.

Last edited:
lancerla said:
Too bad you're too ignorant to want to do the same.

See, the difference is that the Democrats haven't allowed themselves to be taken over by a far-right conspiracy to manipulate 'evidence' to their benefit, tear up the Constitution, kow-tow to religious nuts, and ride roughshod over international law.

scottyT said:
this is a defining moment for both parties, and people just seem to enjoy bickering rather than moving forward.

ugh. let's hope that people start seeing the good rather than trying to pick fights.

The world would be a very boring place if we all agreed with each other, wouldn't it? Debates like this are better conducted in FYM, I admit.

financeguy said:

See, the difference is that the Democrats haven't allowed themselves to be taken over by a far-right conspiracy to manipulate 'evidence' to their benefit, tear up the Constitution, kow-tow to religious nuts, and ride roughshod over international law.

Honestly, your examples seem like conspiracy theories in themselves. You can't speak for every Republican because they're all different. And for whatever alternet or Guardian articles you want to quote, you should understand that there is another side and that it's probably just as valid as yours.

I don't pretend to know all the answers about the crazy shit happening these days. I think anyone who does is fooling themselves.

lancerla said:
I don't pretend to know all the answers about the crazy shit happening these days. I think anyone who does is fooling themselves.

True enough.

redsox04 said:

Politics aside, if Bush was better than Kerry then it says more about Kerry than it does about Bush.

Bush is a man who can barely speak his native tongue, I sat in press conference with Bush and Blair, and the British press couldn't keep a straight face whenever the man opened his face, he destroys the english language every time he speaks...not a great quality in a leader.

popshopper said:
he destroys the english language every time he speaks...not a great quality in a leader.

What a ridiculously petty thing to judge a man by...find faults with his policies all you want (Lord knows they're there), but not with his discomfort in front of cameras. The fact that he's the President despite this says a lot about who he is.

(By the way, I saw him in South Bend a few months ago, and he spoke fine, and it wasn't off of a teleprompter...)

It's ironic to see people who support gun control whining about "tearing up the Constitution". Just like the religious right needs to remember that there's a First Amendment, the left needs ot remember that there's a Second Amendment. Also, most judges would do well to read the entire document (especially in light of the bizzare decision by the majority of the Supreme Court that basically said that any sort of activity that might have something kind of to do with a small economic decision counts as "interstate commerce", when it decided the medicinal marijuana case). As far as the Supremes are concerned, Congress can ban the growing of lettuce in my backyard. Rehnquiest, O'Conner, and Thomas are the only judges worth a damn on the court, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, digression.

As to the issue originally at hand in this topic, I'm not surprised to see people booing the images of people that they have decided to dislike. It's just like Red Sox fans would boo if they saw a picture of George Steinbrenner up on the scoreboard. It's petty, but in the long run, it simply does not matter in the least. All I know is that despite the fact everyone seems to hate Blair and Bush, they've both been re-elected in the last year. I don't know why Belgium feels it has to give a damn about the leaders chosen by the people in other countries, but I guess that's their right. I've never booed the Belgian leader, personally, nor do I have any plans to.

i'm not saying everyone has to agree, which would in fact be boring....

people just don't have to be a-holes.

you can disagree and be civil.

there are major points in conservatism which are fantastic, and there are major points in liberalism which are equally important.....

people seem to just argue for the sake of having purpose, rather than pointed towards education or a solution.

that's part of the reason that i have more respect for U2 than say Bruce.

i love bruce, but he took his time to promote a political candidate, whereas U2 picked an actual issue that's important in the grand scheme of things......

this is something monumental..... and it's bigger than politics...

you get the clintons, and the bushes, and the blair's and the ted kennedy's and the kerry's on board, and then you get sh!t done.

"their lives are bigger than any big idea..."

Back
Top Bottom