Bonos voice for the next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo786

War Child
Anyone slightly worried that it wont hold out? I have heard some of the recent live tracks that he has sang (inc Jonathon Ross (UK) tonight)

To say its not strong is putting it lightly...how will he hold up after 30 dates in the USA when he comes to the UK?

Songs like I WIL LFOLLOW (which they been singing quite a lot recently) sound OK as they are relativley easy compared to somehting like SOMETIMES YOU CANT MAKE IT IN YOUR OWN...

Wonder what WITH OR WITHOUT YOU and ONE will end up sounding like...

Was in Brooklyn. Nothing to fear. And seriously, I just heard Sometimes from Jonathan and the man is amazing.

Got the Brooklyn DVD, no complaints. He can do it. :wink:

It's down to the smoking, isn't it?
ONe of the quotes they bring up on atu2 alot is him saying that Doctor's told him he couldn't smoke anymore or he'd lose his voice

:|

I just watched the Brooklyn DVD, and he sounded just fine the whole way through. I'm not worried about it... he sounds far better now than he did before the Elevation tour.

What is the Brooklyn DVD by chance?

I think Bono's voice will hold up. I wish the band would just quit smoking for their health.

Last edited:
I think that Adam did quit, yeah...or that's what I think I read somewhere, anyhow...

Anyway, I am worried about Bono's voice. I have perfect confidence that he won't sound BAD, but I do wonder just how well he'll hold up performing certain songs over and over again, night after night. On the last tour, "Bad" wasn't even played every night in order to give the man a break. When it was played (I saw it in person twice), he didn't really sound so hot... By the time the tour was winding down, I'm sure that we all remember how he ended up croaking out "With Or Without You" as best he could.

Personally, I'm worried. It won't ruin the shows for me if Bono can't belt 'em out like he used to, but I really think his voice is gonna' pay, this time out. And I do think that, to some degree, the shows will suffer a bit. I know that he's sounded pretty good--but FAR from great in every clip I've heard or seen..which is all of them--lately, but he hasn't sounded great. This worries me because they aren't even on tour, yet, and his voice already sounds like it's having trouble, from time to time. After this singing becomes a semi-daily thing....I dunno'. Scares me a bit.

Is the J. Ross show up by any chance anywhere, I wish we could get it here in the US, I love that show.

Where can I get a copy of the Brooklyn DVD? Is it actually any good (in terms of video/sound quality)? I've got a new, super fast cable modem and I wanna test this sucker out!

I think they should play Red Hill Mining Town, SYCMIOYO, Kite, Rejoice, Two Hearts Beat as One, ISHFWILF, Pride, LNOE, and OOTS back to back and see what happens.

Considering how good he sounds on this album, I believe he could sound better than Elevation.

starsgoblue said:

I have faith in Bono and his voice.

Ditto.
I agree that Bono's Falsetto part in Sometimes..was a little dodgy at the end, but once he's sung it a few more times and the tour's well underway, I think it'll be fine.

Maybe he just had a cold or something, but I saw a quick peek of Bono on some news program (ABC Nightly News?) on World AIDS day, and Bono not only sounded ROUGH, he certainly looked it to. I don't know the date on the video though.

He's been doing a bunch of public speaking lately, maybe that's it... he needs to put his mind to ONE thing while he's touring.. like THAT'S ever going to happen...

goat

he will be fine.... thought he sounded good on jonathan ross to be fair...... sounds alot better than ATYCLB and the elevation tour

I forget where I read it but there was a quote of him saying hes found recently a strength in his voice that he hasnt had in 10 years. Whether hes right or not I guess we will see. Regardless, Im glad ill be seeing them early on in march at the start of the tour.

i was a little worried before the last tour after hearing the small show they did at irvine plaza. during the elevation tour i thought he sounded great.

nothing to worry about. i think he sounds better now than he did a few years ago.

jammin909 said:
I forget where I read it but there was a quote of him saying hes found recently a strength in his voice that he hasnt had in 10 years. Whether hes right or not I guess we will see. Regardless, Im glad ill be seeing them early on in march at the start of the tour.
Let's hope he doesn't get over-confident and strain his chords. Oh, wait... on second thought, let's hope he does.;) After watching SNL, his voice sounds as good as ever, IMO. Lookin forward to the tour!

Oh geez, how much better can he sound? His singing voice is stronger, richer and deeper than it has been since the Zoo TV Tour days. I am very excited about hearing him sing songs like COBL, Vertigo, Crumbs and SYCMIOYO. I think we're in for a treat folks!!:yes:

Having seen U2 a couple of times recently on TV and watched both elevation dvd's over the last week,Rattle & Hum and Zoo Tv from Australia. I have to say IMO Bono's voice now is not worse than it used to be just more mature.

I saw the Johnathon Ross show on Friday I thought Vertigo was a bit ropey(whole band not just bono, it sounded week). I do not think they will open with this song! Bono struggles with this song he cant seem to get his breath.

I will follow was typical of any other perfomance of this I have ever seen. Excellent!

However!

Sometimes you cant make it on your own was amazing, Who cares if his falseto was a bit off on the last chorus.The performance was stunning.Bono was shaking singing this song It obvioulsy means so much to him. It gave me goose bumps!.

All great singers voices change as they grow older, Either the tone changes or they cant reach the high notes they once could. I prefer the tone of Bonos voice now to that of the ealier days.

Bono circa zoo tv,Joshu tree or whenever had a great voice but that was his voice at that time, this is a new time with new songs and a different tone.

I think he may on some songs, instead of trying to reach high notes and struggle, to drop an octave so he doesnt strain his voice.

He is still awesome as far as im concerned

Back
Top Bottom