Bono's Messianic Syndrome Gone Too Far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a reference to Springsteen's induction speech, he called him "little Jesus" or something. I'm not that offended by it at all, but it still rubs me the wrong way with those comments a bit

Some people have no sense of humour. He's being sarcastic, for goodness' sake. Bruce Springsteen said at the RARHOF induction that Bono has the biggest messianic complex in rock, so he's having fun at that comment's expense. At least, that's how it seems to me ...

i like it, especially the line in "One." Very rockstar-ish, and he is after all, a rock star.

Jesus wants everyone to be like him. By Bono referring to himself as Jesus, he was simply attesting to who he was trying to be like.

The Beatle's thought they were bigger than Jesus and Bono just is Jesus.
Seriously though, one of the universal concepts of religion is to be one with your creator. So actually *being* God is one of the greatest forms of devotion *to* God.
love, Anu

He is making fun of his messianic complex and ego. During Zoo TV it was "have you come here to play Jesus, 'cause I did".

oh for god sakes. bono wasn't being literally serious. i dont know why some people can't get a sense of humour or see the tongue in cheekness of things. its pretty obvious.
that's half of the problem with the world, lol.

what he's doing actually makes me respect him more.. and the way he makes a joke of things and not taking himself seriously, and yet giving off a good message at the same time. exactly, thats what ZOO TV was all about and many people took that very wrong, sadly.
though, i can definitely see how some people could take certain things the wrong way, but i think in the end bono made it pretty clear what he was doing and why.

i never attended any ZOO TV concert, but ive seen it on tape and read much about it and of course.. the songs say a lot about it as well. its one of the MOST genius concert themes ever, and especially hitting a nerve thats been needed to be hit, and never was by anyone else that way before. i think bono and the guys should have gotten more credit for the ZOO TV thing, and Bono's way of flicking off negative shit said about him and making humour out of it. i find that very admirable. i just wish more people could remove their blindfolds and see this as well.

some people even made comments about when he went up to his reflection in the mirror on stage and kissed it and said "You're beautiful!" at himself during that tour... (dressed as MacPhisto, of course), people took that the wrong way too. and it was those who didnt understand the character or that he was actually in character... and was actually mocking the evils, not being evil himself.

"mock the devil and he shall flee!"

Last edited:
Cant recall exactly what he says, but in one of the ZooTV shows, dressed as the Mirrorball Man and looking into the mirror just before 'Desire' - "You're one good-looking mother-fuckin son of a bitch"!

:wink: sth like that anyway!

LemonMacPhisto said:
It was a reference to Springsteen's induction speech, he called him "little Jesus" or something. I'm not that offended by it at all, but it still rubs me the wrong way with those comments a bit

I agree.

amazing how many actually think he's being serious. Did you vote for Bush?

He also said something in "40," I'll have to listen again, anybody got that one also? Ok, sorry I see it's in the original post. How long have you been a U2 fan btw?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom