Bono-singing with "playback"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See a Britney Spears show. That's how playback looks and sounds...

Bono has some echo etc on his mic in certain songs, but it's just to get a better sound, it's all his voice...

This discussion has been up millions of times before, so maybe it's time to check out the "search"-function in the forum?? :wink: :wink:

Okay, thats for the delays and echoes and stuff. But to put more fuel into the flames:
I`ve seen 2 Vertigo shows and on both Bono`s voice during "I will follow" sounded a bit high pitched not much max. 2 semitones. Sounded a bit mickey mousey...
This is no problem using pitchshifters in a "Live" environment at the mixing desk. Do you think they made it just a bit easier for him to hit the high notes in IWF ?
I always believed in Bono`s voice but this was a strange thing.

dr.dae said:
Okay, thats for the delays and echoes and stuff. But to put more fuel into the flames:
I`ve seen 2 Vertigo shows and on both Bono`s voice during "I will follow" sounded a bit high pitched not much max. 2 semitones. Sounded a bit mickey mousey...
This is no problem using pitchshifters in a "Live" environment at the mixing desk. Do you think they made it just a bit easier for him to hit the high notes in IWF ?
I always believed in Bono`s voice but this was a strange thing.

It is absolutely possible that they use a real time pitchcorrecting filter, but that is only for smoothing the sound, and is VERY small adjustments. It will not "rescue" Bono if he missed a note. Listen to the shows where they started 40 a semitone to low...

L03VIk said:

It is absolutely possible that they use a real time pitchcorrecting filter, but that is only for smoothing the sound, and is VERY small adjustments. It will not "rescue" Bono if he missed a note. Listen to the shows where they started 40 a semitone to low...

Sorry, I´m not talking of pitchcorrecting filters but of a Pitchshifter itself...
but this would be very hard for bono to sing with it plugged in...
hmmm...but he sounded like on helium....

EPandAmerica said:

If you watch the streaming video at u2log you can see his forehead turn 50 shades of red as he is getting those notes, so yep, it's all Bono! Unless of course he can fake his head about to explode :wink:.

i heard it was just a mask to make his face look that red so people wouldnt really find out hes been lip syncing the thing the whole time.

a friend of a friend of a cousins mothers whos got an uncle thats the edges friend told me that.

Actually, I've wondered myself, when I hear him hit "the note" on SYCMIOYO, if it's not taped, just THAT part, because on all of the boots I've heard from the tour, they all sound eerily similar 2 the "Brooklyn Bridge" per4mance... he totally nailed it on that one.

The Disciple said:
Actually, I've wondered myself, when I hear him hit "the note" on SYCMIOYO, if it's not taped, just THAT part, because on all of the boots I've heard from the tour, they all sound eerily similar 2 the "Brooklyn Bridge" per4mance... he totally nailed it on that one.

He may reach the same zenith with his voice, but the length that he carries the note, the lead up to the note, the trail off after the note are all different. Uh, that's normal! :wink:

AtomicBono said:
I don't know about Bono, but The Edge is definitely a robot.

Adam's been a cardboard cutout since the days of ATYCLB.

I've heard somewhere that when Bono wants the playback to be activated he puts his left hand on his heart. :wink:

I heard him talk about this after last nights show to someone backstage, and I think it went like this:

"I am not Bono," he said. "My name is Ryan. I inherited this band from the previous Bono, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from was not the real Bono, either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Bono has been retired fifteen years and living like a king in Patagonia."

i think evil bono still has the edge and bono is really looking for him so the edge and bono arent really there at concerts its just larry mullen and adam, and even adam might still be card board! :(

Axver said:

Adam's been a cardboard cutout since the days of ATYCLB.

No way! He like, walks around and stuff!

maybe he's a cardboard cutout ROBOT. Ah hah, see? The robot thing again.

I think it's quite obvious he's using playback in Sometimes, at least for the falsetto part, either that or it's just Edge, can't tell.

IrishDawg said:
I think it's quite obvious he's using playback in Sometimes, at least for the falsetto part, either that or it's just Edge, can't tell.

For the falsetto part, yes, it is Edge doing some serious singing (and it's you when I dont pick up the phone)

As for the rest of sometimes it is B doing the singing live, live, live....

Then again, Robots can do amazing things nowadays

tkramer said:
I heard him talk about this after last nights show to someone backstage, and I think it went like this:

"I am not Bono," he said. "My name is Ryan. I inherited this band from the previous Bono, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from was not the real Bono, either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Bono has been retired fifteen years and living like a king in Patagonia."

hee hee, that's awesome, LOVE the PB.

Back on topic--It's 100% Bono. He sounded completely different at Chicago IV as at the previous three shows that week. After too many late nights (it was his birthday while he was here), he was very hoarse before that show. Some of us were able to catch a brief glimpse of him before soundcheck...he was apologetic at not being able to spend time with fans, but indicated he didn't feel well and his throat was sore. Despite this he belted everything out--and definitely was straining, not sounding perfect--you could hear it. If he was getting "help" I am sure this would not have been the case. Interestingly, for me, although his voice wasn't perfect, this was one of the best shows I've seen...I was overwhelmed and grateful at his ability/willingness to give it 150% even though he wasn't feeling good.

IrishDawg said:

No, its not quite obvious, because he isnt. I'm "telling" you he is not using backing on Sometimes. Its all Bono live at the climax of the song. Some of you will choose not to believe it anyway. But you also probebly dont think we actually went to the moon either! :eyebrow:

I would like to use a backing tape at the start of all the U2 shows...on the speakers that says people that are living in the 80s and 90s, when U2 were so holy and perfect please leave the building.

The idea of Bono using backing tapes is obsured. Even his normal talking voice is better and more defined these days then it was in Pop or ATYCLB....

But some people will continue to focus on negative things even if they are fabricated from their imagination.

Back
Top Bottom