Bono Singing To Track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kellyahern said:

I can write something really offensive and insulting if you want :wink:

or I could question the band's sexuality, ex. "Adam is a hermaphrodite, discuss."

:love: Could you please??

:wink:

When someone has legitimate evidence showing us that Bono, Edge, Larry or Adam are faking something then please post it, but until then QUIT WASTING OUR TIME!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
When someone has legitimate evidence showing us that Bono, Edge, Larry or Adam are faking something then please post it, but until then QUIT WASTING OUR TIME!!!

:love: :drool:

I don't get why this becomes such an offensive topic.

Of course Bono/the band implement techniques to enhance their performance. Whether it be pre-recorded sound effects, vocal tracks, musicians under the stage--it's all typical tricks of the trade which makes a fuller experience for the concert goer.

Check out the book U2 Show. Excellent book, sanctioned by the band, which gives credit to a lot of the behind the scenes people. For instance, during the ZooTv tour Bono hired a guy to write his on stage speeches.

U2 are an extremely talented bunch of guys who make amazing music BUT there are a lot of smoke and mirrors when they preform live.

TheFly40 said:
I don't get why this becomes such an offensive topic.

Of course Bono/the band implement techniques to enhance their performance. Whether it be pre-recorded sound effects, vocal tracks, musicians under the stage--it's all typical tricks of the trade which makes a fuller experience for the concert goer.

Check out the book U2 Show. Excellent book, sanctioned by the band, which gives credit to a lot of the behind the scenes people. For instance, during the ZooTv tour Bono hired a guy to write his on stage speeches.

U2 are an extremely talented bunch of guys who make amazing music BUT there are a lot of smoke and mirrors when they preform live.

what do you mean "smoke and mirrors"?

why in the hell would he have to hire someone to write his onstage speeches? i dont get it. its not like hes the president of the USA making long long speeches to the entire world. its just 1 minute or two long of stuff, sometimes less. so, are you saying that everything he does on stage.. from the speeches to the funny goofy things is all staged?

what about macphisto's stuff? was that written for him too?

then i begin to wonder.. does bono even really write most of the songs now...

I think it's the thin line between enhancing the music and faking the music. I have no problem with them using tricks to enhance or fill out the sound. But lypsnching or just faking your guitar playing would bother me.

But there's alway one that doesn't realize that Edge sings a few lines in Miracle Drug, or they don't realize how backing tracks are used to transition from the walk on the stage Elevation and the live Elevation, or they think they see Bono holding the mic too far from his mouth to actually be singing and they take this misinformation and bring it to light. Then a few see this misinformation and take it as fact. I've seen it in here and other message boards all the time. So the informed fans try and do the best they can to set the record straight before others start to buy it, and well sometimes it gets heated.

MattFromNYC said:

See, this is a perfect example of the shit I'm talking about. 1 person starts to hear one thing, believes it, and then stretches it to mean something more.:huh:

MattFromNYC said:

what do you mean "smoke and mirrors"?

why in the hell would he have to hire someone to write his onstage speeches? i dont get it. its not like hes the president of the USA making long long speeches to the entire world. its just 1 minute or two long of stuff, sometimes less. so, are you saying that everything he does on stage.. from the speeches to the funny goofy things is all staged?

what about macphisto's stuff? was that written for him too?

No I'm saying that it is documented in the book U2 Show, which is backed by U2, that Bono has used a speech writer in the past. What's the big deal????

Yea, I thought I saw a lip sync\backing vocal track at NJ #2 Bono pulled the mic down to his side, and I could hear the vocals clear as day.

The chorus vocal parts on Vertigo are done by The Edge. Sometimes he uses a headset mic, but he is singing those parts.

Also, U2 has a lot of backing music tracks which play along with the tunes:

Bad
Beautiful Day
Elevation
City of blinding lights
Streets have no name
Until the end of the world
Wild horses
etc

Not sure if they are all "played" from someone under the stage or a sequenced part.

theres also the possibility of a thing called "body mics".. so to use along with the regular mic. but then again, if he used that, then in other times you wouldn't be hearing him pull the mic away from himself sometimes and hear the vocals fade off.

ok, who cares if he uses backing tracks sometimes. but now all i wanna know now... is.. at some point or most of the time.. is that definitely him singing up there? is this really bono? does anyone have any other proof other than hearing him sing right in front of them on stage?

now before anyone jumps at me and starts accusing me of starting things... i'm not.

when you actually attend these shows

youre not watching U2

you know that fog projection thing they did of the human rights person?

it's all fog. even the people they bring on audience. youve all been duped.

MattFromNYC said:

ok, who cares if he uses backing tracks sometimes. but now all i wanna know now... is.. at some point or most of the time.. is that definitely him singing up there? is this really bono? does anyone have any other proof other than hearing him sing right in front of them on stage?

now before anyone jumps at me and starts accusing me of starting things... i'm not.

:rolleyes:

Just read this incredibly ridiculous thread

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120688&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I wish these lip-synching/backing track threads would FOAD already.

When I saw one of the Seattle shows I was a little curious as when the vocals were running, and Edge and Bono didn't have any mic's near them.
But then I saw up on one of the screens that Larry had a headset and was doing vocals also.

That having been said I highly doubt there are any backing tracks. At least not enough to influence the performance. Bono does his fair share of hitting bum notes while singing, that wouldnt be the case if there were heavy backing tapes.

BonoVoxSupastar... you wanna marry me?

:yes: to everything he said...

Now seriously, someone call me a name or something so I can put this sucker out to pasture :wink:

Miroslava said:

Now seriously, someone call me a name or something so I can put this sucker out to pasture :wink:

Well I was going to say something really crass to your proposal to get this baby closed, but I just don't have it in me.

Just name the time and place and I'm there.:wink:

BONO DOES NOT LIPSYNC!!!

The band DOES use backing tracks, but usually only for ADDITIONAL instruments, and VERY rarely for vocals. A couple exceptions...

1) Bono's OOOHHHs in Elevation on the Elevation tour, he is still singing but there is a backing track singing as well.
2) Beautiful Day harmonies, The Edge and Bono both sing but with a choir like backing track underneath their voices...
3) Vertigo... OLAs and Conte Estas ARE pre-recorded, all though the Edge does sing along with them, and both can be heard in the mix...
4) Miracle Drug, Larry Mullen's bit, PRETTY SURE that there is Bono, Larry, AND a backing track singing this part

As for the question "How do you know U2 plays to a click track!?!?"...

Here is one example that proves it...

Vancouver, City Of Blinding Lights shoot...
The band played the song in it's intirety EVERY time they played it... however, if you watch the video you will notice that several parts of the song are cut, but everything is still PERFECTLY in time... this is because for certain songs, the band is playing to a click track (like a metronome), which makes it easy to cut parts out, and have the song remain perfectly at the same tempo

Another example...

For backing track-heavy songs, like Miracle Drug or One, it would be impossible to stay right on tempo with the backing track without using a click!!! There should be no debate over any of this... it's obvious...

As for the Miracle Drug thing... The Edge usually sings it... on the night you were talking about, maybe Bono decided he was gonna sing it... it is VERY unlikely that that part would be pre-recorded... especailly considering it is the easiest part of the whole song to sing...

chrisjnyc said:
Yea, I thought I saw a lip sync\backing vocal track at NJ #2 Bono pulled the mic down to his side, and I could hear the vocals clear as day.

The chorus vocal parts on Vertigo are done by The Edge. Sometimes he uses a headset mic, but he is singing those parts.

Also, U2 has a lot of backing music tracks which play along with the tunes:

Bad
Beautiful Day
Elevation
City of blinding lights
Streets have no name
Until the end of the world
Wild horses
etc

Not sure if they are all "played" from someone under the stage or a sequenced part.

You can also add Love And Peace Or Else to that list. Heavy backing musically on that one.

The effects are done by Terry under the stage either playing them or starting the pre recorded part at the proper time.

Bono doesnt sing to a backing track though. :laugh: Dont close this thread I love it when people take misinformation or something they thought they saw and turn it into fact.

You can count on these threads every tour.

1. U2 are breaking up after this album/tour and/or this is U2's last tour.

2. The setlist sucks! Why arent they playing "X" song?

3. Bono is lip syncing, or Edge isnt playing his guitar all the time live.

Like clockwork, every single tour/album.

Last edited:
marik said:
how was the elevation "whoo-hoo's" backing track ever confirmed?

its pretty obvious... allthough maybe on the elevation dvds its just edited in a way that makes it sound like a backing track... possible too...

and yea, LAPOE has heavy stuff going on in the backgroud, Larry isnt playing all that percussion on his 1 drum... sad to say... haha

one more thing that kinda took the backing tracks too far for me...
during a lot of the promo shows for this tour.. the edge did use backing guitar tracks for vertigo and aboy... thought that was stupid, but he ditched them for the tour... so it's all good...

Miroslava said:

FUCK OFF AND DIE!

Was that good enough? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom