Bono--please keep the shades off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
I love it that Bono takes his shades off during SYCMIYO, but later on he puts them back on for the rest of the show---I know its a minor point, but it really bugs me--he seems more closed off with them on--and it just looks weird after a while--you don't get to see the emotion on his face with them on.

I completely agree. It's actually breaking my heart that he's been keeping his shades for almost the whole show this time around. He always took them off after a few songs before: ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation. I know it's his look and all, but I really think it makes a huge difference in terms of connection with the crowd.

You can't have an intimate conversation with someone who has shades on. It's just not respectful IMO. It's kind of the same if you're a performer and want to connect with your audience.

As he really been singing songs like Streets, One, and Yawheh with his shades on? That just doesn't work...

Come on Bono, you don't need protection from us, we love you... almost blindly... Please look at us in the eyes...:sad:

I think he has gone to a point where he's so used to wearing them that he feels naked and insecure without them... Or maybe there is something else related to those shades. Who knows...

What is clear is that he is well aware that taking them off makes him look more 'human' and is a good way to connect with the crowd. During Elevation when he was taking them off it was like a 'special moment'. He knows exactly what it means, but he has decided to keep them on so far for the Vertigo Tour. I'm not sure what to make of that...

Complete agreement here too. In fact, I think he should lose them for good. I associate the shades with his 90's persona. During the Elevation Tour, the specs were gone by the second or third song and stayed off.

Larry David said "People who wear sunglasses indoors are either blind or they're @%#holes." Lose the flyshades Bonoman; it's time.

I loved the whole ‘Fly’ thing in Zoo T.V. But when Bono would come out for “Streets’ in his black blazer in no shades, it was very cool and actually gave the ‘Fly’ validity as a character (the Fly is not just bono gone on an Ego trip, its just a character…) I think Bono know wears the Fly shades like he wears underwear.

Personally, I did not feel disconnected when he sang those songs at the end. Actually, that moment singing Yahweh, swinging back and forth with such yearning,even with the shades on was glorious

i'm all about Bono doing what he wants to do. if that means wearing his shades during the whole show, then i'm all for it.

Then there’s the thing about having a spotlight in your eyes for two hours a night for a year…I’m surprised other musicians don’t wear them more.

oceane said:

You can't have an intimate conversation with someone who has shades on. It's just not respectful IMO.

:shocked: It's a scandal really...and don't get me started on how rude it is of Edge to keep his hat on :rolleyes:
C'mon now folks...if the B man prefers to keep his shades on, so be it! I've read somewhere that his eyes are quite sensitive to bright lights and camera flashes so maybe this is more the case - now he's not as sprightly as he once was.

I think that's Bono's way of separating himself from the audience.
If he continues to "hide" behind those shades, then I would have to wonder if he wants to SEE his fans up close or just ignore them and LOOK from a distance..... Either way, I agree.... Bono needs to definitely "lose those shades" while touring...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i say keep the shades, lose the evil kenievl jacket.

Ya, anyone know where I can buy that jacket and the pink ruffled shirt he was wearing yesterday? :huh:

p.s. keep the shades

Lose the shades! I want to see his eyes! But if he must cover his eyes, I prefer the blindfold. ;) It's sexy :drool:

I love his beautiful blue eyes. :drool: But they're always behind those darn glasses!

I agree that it does make him seem a little more closed off to the fans. Even though I happen to love his shades, I have to say ...Bono, take 'em off.

corner said:

:shocked: It's a scandal really...and don't get me started on how rude it is of Edge to keep his hat on :rolleyes:
C'mon now folks...if the B man prefers to keep his shades on, so be it! I've read somewhere that his eyes are quite sensitive to bright lights and camera flashes so maybe this is more the case - now he's not as sprightly as he once was.

Of course it's not a 'scandal'... What I'm trying to say is that any other 'normal' person who would keep their shades on all the time, including when they're having an important discussion with someone indoors, let's say, I would find them extremely impolite.

Now, Bono is a performer, and the shades are part of his stage persona, which is cool. But it does influence the contact with the audience. I've had him look straight into my eyes while singing at one Elevation show, and that made quite an effect on me !:wink:
Covering your eyes and covering your head are two completely different things. We don't really make contact via the top of our heads you know...

But yeah, there might be a question of comfort involved, although I don't see why all those years he's been performing without his shades and now it would be a problem...

Ultimately, he can do whatever he wants. But I still find it a bit dissapointing.

oceane said:
I think he has gone to a point where he's so used to wearing them that he feels naked and insecure without them... Or maybe there is something else related to those shades. Who knows...

Sometimes, it how you get used to seeing the world. When Popmart was out I had bought some of the orange lensed sunglasses, mainly b/c I thought it was funny (and no one was wearing them at the time). But when I would wear them for awhile when I would take them off the world all of a sudden "appeared" very dull. You get so used to seeing the world through a lens and when that lens is taken away it's very different.

Just a thought...

IMHO, if Bono wearing his sunglasses causes him to be more cocky and big-headed, then I like it. I miss the Bono of the 90's that just acted like he was God all the time. I miss "over the top" Bono:sad:

oceane said:
But yeah, there might be a question of comfort involved, although I don't see why all those years he's been performing without his shades and now it would be a problem...

Maybe his eyes are just becoming more sensitive now that he's older?

I also wonder if maybe the reason he's leaving the shades on more during this tour (at least so far) is because it's still early on and they aren't entirely comfortable with what they are doing yet? Maybe the shades give him an extra bit of security? (OK, that might be a crackpot theory, I'm just throwing it out there).

LMFAO this forum comes up with some weaird weaird discussions and moans, if bono wants to wear shade then thats upto him, your not him, and its his life, he does what he fucking wants, get over it

Bono's shades said:

I also wonder if maybe the reason he's leaving the shades on more during this tour (at least so far) is because it's still early on and they aren't entirely comfortable with what they are doing yet? Maybe the shades give him an extra bit of security? (OK, that might be a crackpot theory, I'm just throwing it out there).

That's actually the first thing I thought when someone posted that he had kept his shades on for the whole show...:reject:

But who are we to guess what is going on in Bono's head after all?

I just noticed that your username was 'Bono's shades' ;)

KUEFC09U2
War Child

I take it you haven't seen any of the shows so far this tour because, if you did, you would realize there is a huge difference between how Bono emotes and the crowd reaction to it when he has the shades on vs. not having them--if it is so silly then maybe he should wear shades the whole time or even better, wear a ski mask and then the shades over that.

ultraviolet353 said:
KUEFC09U2
War Child

I take it you haven't seen any of the shows so far this tour because, if you did, you would realize there is a huge difference between how Bono emotes and the crowd reaction to it when he has the shades on vs. not having them--if it is so silly then maybe he should wear shades the whole time or even better, wear a ski mask and then the shades over that.
thats not the point i am making, but things are getting stupid when people are trying to tell him what he can and cant wear for fucks sake, how would you like it?

I dont really care what he does.
But he dosent have to wear them for 90% of the show....but then I do agree with KUEFC09U2, really he can do as he wishes.

thank you! i totally agree. i think it took alot away from the usual intamacy of the U2 shows. i was talking to other fans about it after the1st anaheim show and they didnt know what i was going on about. but i was , in a way, dissapointed that he kept the shades on for most of the show. durring elevation he took them off and left them off after 3 or 4 songs. i think he should do that this time too.

maybe as the tour progresses and they get more comfortable with everything he will lose the shades. those gorgeous eyes dont deserve to be hidden.

oceane said:

Covering your eyes and covering your head are two completely different things. We don't really make contact via the top of our heads you know...

tee heee heee

Back
Top Bottom