Bono--please keep the shades off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No way! I'd miss the shades if they went, there wasn't enough shades action on The Elevation Tour! but I guess that tour wasn't really suited for a shade wearing Bono. A good buddy of mine said that as well, he's getting to see u2 for the first time on the Vertigo Tour and he wants the whole package, shades and all!

There are fans out there that'd be unhappy with the B-man losing his shades, it's like going to see Jagger without his strut and dance.

Best shades tour? PopMart, without a doubt!

Well I have to say I wish he'd take them off too. He was singing right in front of me and it's nearly impossible to make eye contact. Maybe that's what he wants. I loved the attention of course but I was actually more touched when I made actual eye contact with Edge. After all the eyes are the windows to the soul.

Oh well it's his eyes and his soul. He feels he needs them I suppose.

Bono has well documented eye problems and this is the reason he wears shades a lot of the time

let me go and look for the documents on this

:wink:

matt76 said:
Bono has well documented eye problems and this is the reason he wears shades a lot of the time

let me go and look for the documents on this

:wink:

Bono does not have any problems with his eyes. I think the story you are referring to is the one about his allergy to wine, and how it turns his eyes red and bloodshot. Well, he could just lay off of it, but even if he doesn't, that still doesn't mean there's anything physically wrong with his eyes. In a recent interview, Ali and his daughter were quoted as saying he does not wear them at home on his own time and does not drive the kids to school with them on. He wears the shades to be cool, and as a gimmick. For someone who was already a huge star before he ever wore any, they have become his trademark.

U2Kitten said:

Bono does not have any problems with his eyes. I think the story you are referring to is the one about his allergy to wine, and how it turns his eyes red and bloodshot. Well, he could just lay off of it, but even if he doesn't, that still doesn't mean there's anything physically wrong with his eyes. In a recent interview, Ali and his daughter were quoted as saying he does not wear them at home on his own time and does not drive the kids to school with them on. He wears the shades to be cool, and as a gimmick. For someone who was already a huge star before he ever wore any, they have become his trademark.

No, I'm sure he has said before he wears them because of the light.. The fact is after wearing them for so long, his eyes will hurt when they are exposed to light...

well, it's cool to have them on, but he should've taken them off after couple of songs, like on Elevation or ZooTv tours;
i think that bothers many fans
and no, he doesn't have any medical problems with his eyes...

I don't care. I know he took them off on the previous tour and Zoo TV, but on this tour and Popmart he is wearing them more.

I agree. They always have a spotlight on him during the show so I think he probably likes to wear them because of light sensitivity.

I'm a little confused as to why people care about this though. 95% of the audience couldn't even see his eyes, even if he took his shades off, because they're too far away.

I was about ten feet away from Bono most of the show on 4/5 and I thought he was great about interacting with the crowd. He made eye contact with people a lot. Definitely a lot more than the Edge who had his eyes closed half the time and the other half he was looking at his bandmates or staring into space. Although, he did look at me for a moment during All Because of You when I was giving him the thumbs up. I'm not sure if he saw me because he was expressionless.

One interesting thing I noticed is that after Bono threw his shades into the audience he asked for the people up front to throw their shades in so he could get a new pair. He didn't like the orange tinted pair he ended up grabbing but they were better than the other ones people threw up there. I thought that was pretty cool. He did the same thing with his hat.

I don't mean to sound uppity here, but I've been obsessing over Bono for 23 years now, and I've spent way too much time almost every day since ATYCLB came out looking up every single thing I could online about him, and I have hung around PLEBA for every single tidbit for nearly 4 years even if off-times of U2 action. Sorry, if there were anything to this light sensitive thing, I WOULD KNOW! :yes: :wink:

As his wife and daughter said, he doesn't wear them at home. He leaves them off part of the concert, and took them off after the 3rd song during the Elevation tour. If he had a problem with light, he would not have done that. He might wear them in the sun just for UV protection, but the indoor shades are just for image.

tenacious_b said:

I'm a little confused as to why people care about this though. 95% of the audience couldn't even see his eyes, even if he took his shades off, because they're too far away.

Try standing right in front of him in GA :drool: :love: I have been close enough to see his eyes, and they are gorgeous! :love: I was standing right in front of him in Baltimore (Elevation) when he took off his shades. Wow. Everyone screeched and sighed. :cute:

But again, he is not light sensitive, ask any PLEBA girl, we look for every minute little detail on him, we know it all :wink: (I would also think any veteran Interferencer would know)

man you guys are losers.

who gives a shit? they're his trademark.

i can't believe i actually have time to reply to something this brutal.

KUEFC09U2 said:
thats not the point i am making, but things are getting stupid when people are trying to tell him what he can and cant wear for fucks sake, how would you like it?

Of course he can do what he wants, but the members of this forum can also discuss what they like too (with some obvious exceptions -- and shades aren't amongst the listed taboo subjects). If you don't wish to discuss it, why did you in the first place?

As for me -- I would prefer if he didn't wear the shades all the time (especially indoors in normal lighting) as I think it tends to make him look like an arrogant ass, but it is his choice, so.... :shrug:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Try standing right in front of him in GA :drool: :love: I have been close enough to see his eyes, and they are gorgeous! :love: I was standing right in front of him in Baltimore (Elevation) when he took off his shades. Wow. Everyone screeched and sighed. :cute:

But again, he is not light sensitive, ask any PLEBA girl, we look for every minute little detail on him, we know it all :wink: (I would also think any veteran Interferencer would know)

I was a few feet from him at times. I didn't make eye contact with him, but I could see his eyes. Maybe it's just because I'm a guy, but I was more interested in his singing.

tenacious_b said:

I was a few feet from him at times. I didn't make eye contact with him, but I could see his eyes. Maybe it's just because I'm a guy, but I was more interested in his singing.

:cute: They're incredible! That eye contact meant a lot to me, since I've never met him and most likely never will, it's the best I could get :sigh:

As far as Bono's 'illness' I am still waiting for documentation. I don't believe there is any, as I said, if there were any, I would have known since I have been so obsessed for quite awhile. Check the news forum here, it's not there. Back during Elevation there was a rumor going around he was going blind and would be blind in 2 years, but here it is 4 years later and he can still see! I still say, there's nothing wrong with his eyes and there is no evidence there is. You know that blindfold act he's doing during BTBS? (see my sig) Can you image how much that would kill his eyes and his head to do that, (if he had a sensitivity problem) then take it off and be shocked by all the bright lights of the stage and arena? Nope, he's not light sensitive, nothing wrong with his eyes.

BTW, Dennis DeYoung of Styx IS light sensitive, and had to give up touring because of it.

Last edited:
yeah, Bono should take the shades off. I wouldn't mind if he lost them FOR GOOD, they work with the 90s persona, but I don't see the point now.

whatever, I don't *really* care, I doubt I'll be able to see the band at all as it is with the seats I have:wink:

hopefully by the third leg, he'll get rid of the shades sooner...

Whatever next? Holding up signs "Bono, Love, Lose the Shades"
or "Bono, Love, cut your hair", "Bono, stop colouring your hair, you look like Roy Orbison"?????

I'm opting for "Bono lose the clothes" that would really do it for me:drool:

I think he's slowly building up to being shadeless during the shows, yesterday he had them totally off for several songs, so the eyes can shine. :)

Pop Artist said:
I think he's slowly building up to being shadeless during the shows, yesterday he had them totally off for several songs, so the eyes can shine. :)

:happy: :hyper: :love: :up:

Pop Artist said:

Yay!:happy:

Commenting about Bono's shades and how he dresses are two completely different hings. I couldn't care less about how what he wears, I consider that rather superficial. But like Miggy D said, the eyes are the windows of the soul, so it makes a huge difference for the emotional level of his performance whether he has the shades on or not. I don't think he should loose them all together, he looks great with them and they're part of his style. But at least for part of the show.

Back
Top Bottom