Bono is a little too monogamous for my taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
OK...

After seeing who was pulled up on stage in SLC, all I have to say to Bono is..."PLEASE, STOP!"

There are at least 10,000 unique and new women to pull up on stage every show...WHY continue to pull up the same person and rob others of what SHOULD BE a once in a lifetime opportunity. He is setting expecatations for people to be pulled up multiple times...leading to whining and crying, nevermind the fact that the front row of the ellipse and the rail outside of the ellipse is starting to look like the opening to a "Girls Gone Wild" video.

Please, Bono...don't be so monogamous.

DISCLAIMER: this is not directed at the individuals who have been pulled up multiple times. This is directed at BONO (because I know he reads this forum so often). And don't tell me it is about "comfort with an individual"..that is bull-tookie - he would have people planted if that is...WAIT...maybe one individual IS planted ;)

Honestly I think he should just stop pulling up girls. Not because I'm jealous or mad, but I've seen girls give each other the stink eye over getting chosen/not getting chosen, or girls with the most elaborate signs for no other purpose than begging Bono to pull them onstage and it's so annoying to me. I've never been pulled up and yeah, I'd love it but hey, that's never been why I go to a U2 show or try to get on the rail and it's not what I'm thinking about the whole time or spending time making signs for. I know a few of the girls who've been pulled up and was nothing but happy and excited for them....and I've even heard them say they almost wished it never happened b/c people make such a big deal over it.

Also, it's getting old. He either pulls someone up to dance, or pulls someone up to hold during WOWY. I like it when he pulls up little kids b/c they're cute and totally unpredictable. I also think it's fun when he does more random things, like pulling up the flag group, or that guy to play piano in St Louis.

PLEBAN here nodding her head in agreement! :yes: Personally Im happy for those who have gotten up on stage. That's such a great experience and I hope the memories always stay with them. But maybe Bono should stop for awhile? Takes away from a U2 concert when the jealousy and everything starts getting really bad.

Re: Re: Bono is a little too monogamous for my taste

UnforgettableLemon said:

And the world shook as countless PLEBAns nodded in agreement.

That's the thing...why should ONE individual get this experience at least four times on Vertigo alone...while there are thousands upon thousands would die to have the experience once.

:down:

...and, as another U2 friend said, so much for Paul's "Seeing the same face in front of you every night gets old" comments (pre-tour AND on the DVD).

Re: Re: Re: Bono is a little too monogamous for my taste

zoney! said:

That's the thing...why should ONE individual get this experience at least four times on Vertigo alone...while there are thousands upon thousands would die to have the experience once.

i agree that it's not "fair" for certain people to get up there 2, 3, 4 times.... (btw, a guy- Tatoo Dan- has been up there the most: 6 times over the course of the Elevation and Vertigo tours!)

personally, i wish bono would pick a new girl every single night, to spread the love around. that would be "fair." but, in the end, it's his decision as to who he brings onstage. who knows why he picks the people he does... you'd have to ask him that. :shrug:

threads like this, and other similar ones, are why i agree with LivLuv that bono should stop pulling girls onstage, or only do it very rarely, so that people stop taking it so seriously! it's supposed to be fun, part of the show... but lately it doesn't seem to be like that. :sigh:

Last edited:
zoney! said:
...and, as another U2 friend said, so much for Paul's "Seeing the same face in front of you every night gets old" comments (pre-tour AND on the DVD).

i personally believe that paul mcguiness's reasons for instituting the lottery could very well be different from bono's, larry's, edge's, and adam's. who knows what each of them think about the lottery, or why they actually decided to implement it. paul gave one explanation, but there are probably many others.

bono clearly does not have a problem with seeing the same faces up front. but the rest of the band might feel differently...

zoney! said:

:wink:

Yup, Paul McG should pat himself on the back for letting all those new faces into the front row to energize the band every night!

And like you and some other people have said, I have NOTHING against the girls who get pulled up multiple times. And I am not jealous and I don't wish it was me up there. Its just getting kind of boring and predictable to see the same girls from the same area of the ellipse week after week. He should at least shake it up a bit and walk to a different part of the ellipse or even pick a guy once in a while.

Or better yet, just stop pulling people up altogether. When it turns into something that's expected and people feel entitled to it or it causes resentment when it doesn't happen, its time to stop. Its not worth the drama I've seen some girls put themselves through and I think Bono needs to give it a rest for a while. Its a concert afterall, not a competition to get Bono's attention.

Re: Re: Bono is a little too monogamous for my taste

UnforgettableLemon said:

And the world shook as countless PLEBAns nodded in agreement.

:laugh:

in more ways than one, I'm sure...

(running away now)

Careful zoney, you just made a fairly rational post. :wink:

Personally I always found the thing a bit gimmicky. Of course, what can I say, if it were me I'd die happy, but yeah, you know what I mean...

edit: Oh yeah, and sorry for hijacking, but did you get to meet mofo and HG at SLC?

I definitely agree, I keep getting more disillusioned as it were heearing just how "scripted" U2's live performances have become nowadays. I purposely don't want to buy the new DVD till I've seen them in March but then again I'm kidding myself cos I've read enough about the tour already by being on this bloody forum! :wink:

I have hopes that U2 are a far more original live band than maybe they actually are :shrug:

Bono's American Wife said:

Or better yet, just stop pulling people up altogether. When it turns into something that's expected and people feel entitled to it or it causes resentment when it doesn't happen, its time to stop. Its not worth the drama I've seen some girls put themselves through and I think Bono needs to give it a rest for a while. Its a concert afterall, not a competition to get Bono's attention.

agreed! although i dont think he should stop doing it all together, i do think he should only pull people up on rare occassions to try make it a bit more special.
it's pretty much every show now which means, like you said, girls are starting to expect it and do feel a sense of entitlement which causes bitchiness and in-fighting etc etc.
it used to be quite an exciting thing, now its just relatively boring and predictable (unless he does something funny and unusual like a jig with santa claus!).

i just dont think the standard pulling a girl from a crowd and hugging her for 5 minutes adds anything to the show anymore :shrug:

Personally, I think the same girls in the ellipse showing up at the appropriate places near the stage/front row multiple shows are at least 50% to blame for this.

U2girl said:
Personally, I think the same girls in the ellipse showing up at the appropriate places near the stage/front row multiple shows are at least 50% to blame for this.

I do agree with this - and this is not down to me being jeleous as I live in the UK so have not been to see U2 in the States this year. I wonder if the Pleba/Interference regulars got into the Ellipse last night...

Lisa

Its not the girl's fault. Its Bono's fault. He has created this monster and one of the side-effects of this little skit every night is that the some of the same people are vying for the front row night after night.
I wish he would just stop.

Planned spontaneity is SOOOO 2001.

Its embarrassing.

Ultimately it's Bono's choice and while I'd love to get up there, I won't die if it doesn't happen to me. As a matter of fact, for the Cleveland show there was a moment when I thought it would be me, then he picked Miroslava and I almost felt relieved! Thoughts of all the crap that would follow flashed in my head and I was almost estatic it wasn't. Of course, if it had been me I'd have gotten my ass up there like THAT. :wink: Some friends of mine have been pulled up this tour and I am estatic for them, but I also see the other side of it and at times I don't envy them at all. :slant:

It's sad that something that was once so spontaneous has had to be ruined by a lot of drama.

I wish he'd stop pulling fans up altogether. Except maybe the occasional suprise. I enjoyed exit going up in LA

but every show I've been at it seems he pulls up someone to play an instrument (which often ruins the song) and a girl which is getting annoying.

It isn't that spontaneous and in st.louis for example the girl was forced on him she was nearly on stage before he even started the song. Then it was painful watching her up there not knowing what to do with herself and directing bono to look at her husbands camera to pose for pictures :mad:

Who was pulled up in salt lake?

redkat said:

It isn't that spontaneous and in st.louis for example the girl was forced on him she was nearly on stage before he even started the song. Then it was painful watching her up there not knowing what to do with herself and directing bono to look at her husbands camera to pose for pictures :mad:

This was HORRIBLY uncomfortable to watch. I was in amazing seats by edge and had a great view of the whole thing. I could barely watch. Bono had to tell her 3 times to be quiet because she was trying to chat with him and her friends in the crowd.

Seriously, it makes me cringe just to think about it.

I think he should stop pulling up girls(maybe a couple of shows here and there next tour). As much as I wanted to get up there in the beginning, I'm glad I didn't. There is so much animosity running between people now just because Bono has pulled up the same people.

There are at least 10,000 unique and new women to pull up on stage every show...WHY continue to pull up the same person and rob others of what SHOULD BE a once in a lifetime opportunity. He is setting expecatations for people to be pulled up multiple times...leading to whining and crying, nevermind the fact that the front row of the ellipse and the rail outside of the ellipse is starting to look like the opening to a "Girls Gone Wild" video.

:up: :up: :up:

:applaud:

A friend of mine had another girl jump on her back and put her in a headlock when Bono came by to choose his dancing partner.

Very scary stuff.

Oh, and for the random record....the girl he pulled up in Omaha was amazing. He had to beg her to come up on stage. She was great when she got up there.....as he was sending her back to her spot he asked her name and she told him it was her birthday. It was so cute.

THAT was the way it should be done....if it has to be done at all. Which it doesn't.
Sometimes I wonder if he just pulled girls up so many times that now he feels obligated.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ultimately it's Bono's choice and while I'd love to get up there, I won't die if it doesn't happen to me. As a matter of fact, for the Cleveland show there was a moment when I thought it would be me, then he picked Miroslava and I almost felt relieved! Thoughts of all the crap that would follow flashed in my head and I was almost estatic it wasn't. Of course, if it had been me I'd have gotten my ass up there like THAT. :wink: Some friends of mine have been pulled up this tour and I am estatic for them, but I also see the other side of it and at times I don't envy them at all. :slant:

It's sad that something that was once so spontaneous has had to be ruined by a lot of drama.

:up:

it is nobody's right to get pulled on stage. if bono wants to pull the same person on stage night after night, that's up to him. he should do whatever he wants to do.

those chicks who show up all done up and fight with each other over the front row? that's not bono's fault... that's there own damned fault for assuming that they have some sort of right to be pulled on stage.

I actually don't care about the people he pulls up or whatever.

Even if he pulled up a different girl every single night and never double-dipped I'd still think its lame.

The flag thing was cool....people playing instruments is cool.....a random girl getting pulled up every once in a while....thats cool.

But the same thing night after night is just that....the same thing night after night.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

This was HORRIBLY uncomfortable to watch. I was in amazing seats by edge and had a great view of the whole thing. I could barely watch. Bono had to tell her 3 times to be quiet because she was trying to chat with him and her friends in the crowd.

Seriously, it makes me cringe just to think about it.

I sort of think this is why he does pull up some of the same girls. He knows that they know the routine and will 'perform' for the crowd and not have social hour with their friends etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom