Bono gave some new info on the tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miami in March sounds lovely - - just hope that I can get tickets to the opening show, the second show...etc. I sincerly doubt that they will open the tour in St. louis so I will go to them. I think varying the setlist is a great idea - that means that u2 fans will want ot go to even more shows. It is time to start putting in some OT and make a "for u2 savings account" - sad but true:sad:

Probably will be mid-late March for the tour kickoff rather than earlier in the month...U2 have another engagement around the second week of March...something about a Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, I think. :wink:

Last edited:
Kate1 said:
Errm i don't no what 'mixing the show' means, does it mean remixes?

I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG, ITS PROBABLY A YR UNTILL THEY COME TO ENGLAND!!! :( :( :( :huh:

no, not remixes, mixing up the setlists--playing different songs instead of the same songs every single show.

Kate1 said:
Errm i don't no what 'mixing the show' means, does it mean remixes?

I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG, ITS PROBABLY A YR UNTILL THEY COME TO ENGLAND!!! :( :( :( :huh:

Could you imagine here in Brazil? It's probably 2 yrs (MAYBE)!!!!:sad:
I have to go to other country to see them!:reject:

Varying setlists?! This could be bad news for those who enjoy songs they put in one list (for example if they brought back Electric Co. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, and played never before played stuff like Promenade [i'd like to see this played] and Acrobat) and don't like the boring old 'classics' setlists they do ALL THE TIME...

setlists

oh they deffinatley vary. sure there are songs you know you will hear but they change at least 3 or 4 songs a night. the setlists for the 1st leg of elevation were completley different then the sets for the 3rd. i was at both legs so i got the expierince. ari

Saw them last time in Glasgow and blew the roof of SECC, love to see that again but honestly would watch them anywhere!!! Greatest band ever!!!

They have been a band of conservatism when it comes to set lists. The only time I have seen them shake it up was when they did 4 nights in Chicago on Elevation. By the third night, they played 1 old tune from Boy. Being a longtime fan, it was great. U2 may get the idea of doing stadiums, arenas and clubs like the Stones. Some of you may remember that Bono showed up on stage witht he Stones at the Aragon Ballroom to do an imporomptu before going on Oprah Winfrey.

ALSO! Remember that Pete 'willie' Williams is the show's producer and anything that changes, whether spontaneous or planned in the show, probably has to go through him.

More importantly! Does anyone remember $25 tickets to see indoor ZOO TV! These prices are getting out of control! I cannot wait to see the gastly prices of these tickets!

I think everything might be true except the 'in Boston' thing.

Maybe he said something like 'here' meaning the USA, but I doubt they'd start their worldwide tour there. Boston is too big a market to start the tour.

Boston is where the Stones started their licks tour. It would be cool to see U2 open up in Boston.

Its the second mention in the inside track in the past few weeks that the tour would kickoff in Boston rather than Miami, so there may be some truth to it. Especially if it came straight from the Bonohorse's mouth.

Hewson said:
Its the second mention in the inside track in the past few weeks that the tour would kickoff in Boston rather than Miami, so there may be some truth to it. Especially if it came straight from the Bonohorse's mouth.

LOL, yes, and Bono has never been known to exaggerate or say things that are not exactly true in front of company he wants to relate to, has he??!! LOL.

Its also possible he was misquoted. He could have said something along the line of "We are starting the tour in the U.S. and we are coming to Boston". Which doesnt mean the tour opens there obviously.

Anything is possible, but I highly doubdt the tour will start in Boston. One reason, wherever the tour starts is where they rehearse for a week or so ahead of time. They like to spend rehearsal time in nice warm climates. Boston in February/March could be nasty weather. I would go with the original rumor of Miami from Paul McGuinness. Paul is typically a bit more factual and grounded when it comes to this type of information. Also, they will need to have the rehearsal venue for at least a week. Feb/March at the Fleet Center could be tough to reserve for a whole week with Basketball and Hockey (if there is hockey next year) in full swing. The logistics of starting in Boston just dont make alot of sense.

Joshua Tree (rehearsals and opener in Tempe AZ)
Zoo TV (rehearsals and opener in Lakeland FL)
Popmart (rehearsals and opener in Las Vegas NV)
Elevation (rehearsals and opener in Miami FL)

the only exceptions since U2 became a major act are Unf. Fire and Lovetown because those started in Australia. But both started in what would be considered the beginning of Spring for Australia.

Last edited:
Of course they rehearsed in a different arena than they actually played in in Miami, which can be done in Boston, and St. Patty's Day in Boston would certainly be attractive to Adam.

While on stage, Bono delighted the audience by announcing that U2 will kick off the band?s next U.S. tour in Boston in March 2005
- from U2log.

Looks like a change of venue. :hmm:

Weren't there rumors about U2 spending four weeks in Boston and rehearsing a while ago?

Like I said, anything is possible. Maybe this is the tour where they will break from the norm and do different things. I doubdt it though, U2 are creatures of habit and they tend to do things logistically based on what has worked previously when it comes to touring and their show.

Yes, they rehearsed in a different arena in Miami, but it was still a warm climate, that was my point. They still opened the tour in the same area though. Boston would be alot of publicity (Irish band opens new tour in Boston) headline, so thats why I say its not impossible. But typically U2 likes to play their BIG markets (IE Chicago, Boston, New York) after they have a few shows under their belt because they want the show to be firing on all cylinders for those areas. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Now if Paul McGuiness or Dennis Sheehan says this, then I'am more apt to believe it.

I'm a long time occasional reader of this site but finally registered to share some info I heard about the tour that goes along with some of the speculation about multiple venues and verying setlists. In the past I used to file reports with the U2 news site that Prarit ran.

Some of you may know of U2/Rolling Stones bodyguard John Sampson, especially those of you who got to meet U2 members on the Elevation tour. Anyone who has met John will know he is a very fan friendly bodyguard. Back on April 25, 2001, on U2's offnight between Anaheim shows, Bono and Edge were attending a concert at UCLA where Gavin friday, Daniel Lanois and Elvis Costello were amongst the performers. At this event I talked at length with John about U2's tour plans (he confirmed the return to the US prior to any official annoucement, as well as the proposed Japan-Australia-S America Elevation legs that they later decided against doing) and he allowed me to walk up to Bono and Edge and ask them for photos.

Even though I saw John at subsequent U2 shows, my next chance at talking with him one on one came on November 3, 2002 while he was working on the Stones tour. On this day the Stones were doing their soundcheck for the Wiltern theater show in L.A., one day before their show. I was out front and saw John come out by himself. I decided to thank him for how he allowed me to get those photos 1 1/2 years earlier. He remembered me from that night and I asked him about Stones touring plans. He told me about them, then brought up U2's touring plans. At the time, specualtion was that the new U2 album would be out in fall 2003. John told me it would definteily be in 2004. He told me the tour was planned to start in March or April 2004 in Florida (did not specify Miami). He also said that on the night that Bono joined the Stones onstage at their theater show in Chicago (Sept 16 02) that Paul MacGuiness was also there. John said that Bono and Paul both loved the concept of what the Stones were doing on their Licks tou-stadiums, arenas and theaters, each with very different setlists, and that they thought it would be a great idea for U2 to try some theater shows.

As we all know, U2's delays in finishing their album pushed back this proposed tour start by 1 year. At this early date, they were planning a Florida start, so I would take Paul MacGuiness' statement about the tour starting in Miami as the more likely scenario, even though Bono said Boston just this week. As far as Bono's comments about them doing 2 different setlists on this tour, perhaps they will have a standard setlist for their arena shows and a very different one for any theaters shows that could occur? The Stones did the stadium-arena-theater series of shows in about a dozen major markets around the world, so perhaps U2 will follow this model? There has not been much talk about U2 inclduing stadiums on this U2 leg, but Paul M was quoted recently in an LA TImes article on stadium rock shows that U2 was undecided on stadiums for the upcoming tour, that the music itself will dictate the type of venues they use.

In December 2002, John Sampson was Bono's bodyguard on his US heartland speaking tour, during a break on the Stones tour, so his work with U2 continues. A key guy like him would be told well in advance about possible schedules, since he works with several top notch level performers.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
well seeing as acts like pearl jam and springsteen have about 50 different set lists each, i think u2 could make an attempt at two :wink:

Come on, you're talking about bruce springsteen... that's american bull shit. I like to talk about the new u2, popmart and zoo tv. I don't see bruce compete with that. I'm desperatly hoping for a popmart like ambiance on the tour. (Popmart is u2 in best form, didn't like elevation that much)

Not for nothing, but March would be awesome. here is why. U2 are up for Nomination into Rock Hall. You know damn well they will get in. No contest. The dinner is usually early March-so that would be cool if tour started right after that.

Boston's not really a college town, so they will probably skip it altogether................ala Spinal Tap-
Seriously, the Fleet Center is pretty booked up for March
- unless of course the stadium tour rumor is correct- and March and April may be a little too cold to play outdoors in the northeast.

Back
Top Bottom