Bono contemplates 3 hour show based on fan voting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prof_peabody

The Fly
I caught this post over at Zootopia (by member Chewy):

Why Fast Cars Was Played!
#1500742 - 09/13/05 04:23 PM
Reply Quote

This is my story of what happened yesterday. You can believe me or not but I swear it is the truth-ON MY PARENTS LIFE- I Swear It Is The Truth.

My brother, my cousin and myself decided to head down early to the ACC to see if we could catch the band coming in for soundcheck. We got down there about 12:30 and made our way to the entrance ramp where they enter for soundcheck. We asked one of the guys if they already arrived yet but they hadn't. Around 2:00 we made our way to the front of the curb as more people started coming over. I can't remember exact times but around 2:30ish Edge's car drove right by us and stopped halfway down the ramp for about 30 seconds. I guess he was debating whether to come out or not. We were disappointed when he decided to drive on in. Then a few minutes later my cousin yelled to me look who's walking up the ramp. It was the Edge. It all of a sudden became chaotic. Security started yeliing please stay on the curb. He will come to you. When he got to us I couldn't believe he was literally standing right in front of me.. I said "hi edge." Then I said "Great shows at Croke" as I pulled out my Croke Park ticket stub for him to sign. He said "Wow cool ticket as he signed it. I shook his hand and said have a great show tonight. Then he went to my brother and he got a group picture signed. Then he went further up to the start of the line and then made his way back and then my cousin got him to sign his white vertigo t-shirt that I bought him from San Diego show. Then he made his way back down signing autographs as far as he could. Then things got crazy. Everything happened so fast. Bono's car pulls up and he gets out. I flash out my book-Bono-In Conversation with Micka Assayas and he heads right to me. He grabbed my marker and signed my book and said have a great show tonight and gave him a pat on the shoulder as he made his way to the start of the line. Someone yelled out the Edge already went by. He said "I guess I'm late for work then." As he made his way back down the line my brother got him to sign two pictures-1 group picture and 1 of just Bono. Then I asked him if he could sign my Croke Park ticket and told him great shows as he signed the ticket right below the Edge's signature. Then my cousin got him to sign his vertigo shirt the one the Edge just signed. As he passed my cousin I yelled out "Any chance for Fast Cars tonight." He then turned around to me while still signing pictures and said "Fast Cars hey" with a kind of a look that would suggest he would think about it. Then he said maybe we should play a 3 hour show and post something on the website to what songs people would liked dropped and added. I said I can't argue with that and then I yelled out because of the noise "How about opening with Vertigo and closing with Native Son. Then he turned to me again and said "close with what" I said "Native son" Then he looked right at me and said "very interesting". Then he made his way to as many people he could. Then got back in his car and drove on in. I then told my cousin to take of his shirt as it had both Bono and Edge's signature and gave him another shirt to put on. Then we looked at each other and couldn't believe what just happened.
I don't know if this is the reason they played Fast Cars or whether it was just a coincidence and that it was already scheduled in for the setlist. I guess there is no way of knowing.
That's the truth. I only got my brother and my cousin as witnesses. I have been a fan since 1983 and I first seen them live during the Unforgettable Fire Tour when I was 15 and seen every tour since. I'm 35 now and consider myself a hardcore fan and wouldn't bullshit anyone on this forum especially when it comes to U2.
Sorry for the late post!
It was a long night last night!

I'm pretty certain Bono only trying to egg on the hardcore fans.

I don't believe the Fast Cars part, but it makes a nice story for a fan.

Last edited:
Bono says alot of things. I tend to take what he says in relation to touring/albums with a pinch of salt these days.

:lmao:

Nice way to keep folks optimistic for no reason, Bono.

Fast Cars is a co-incidence. The band rehearsed it the day before the person asked that question.

prof_peabody said:
I caught this post over at Zootopia (by member Chewy):

Then he said maybe we should play a 3 hour show and post something on the website to what songs people would liked dropped and added.

I dont doubt for one second that he said this....but I think he was about as serious as Edge was with me the night before:

Me: lets get together onstage and do 11 oclock tick tock

Edge: Right!

That lucky fan must feel like a million bucks haha...pretty cool Fast Cars was played, good story for him to tell all.

I will confirm the above story.....he did mention...whether true or not...that it would be cool to have a website in which fans decided on the set list ahead of time. That may of been lip service...but has a band ever done that before?

I was also at the entrance ramp....and I left the GA line to get a picture that I blew up of Bono. I wanted to get his attention among all the fans.

I managed to sing for him........My favourite song is "A Man and A Woman From the Album". I started to sing the song out loud (I've got a loud voice...and I sing in a band) and he came right over to me and told me to keep singing and that it sounded very good. He signed my huge picture and wrote the 1st stanza of the song on the picture.

He was smiling....and said..."That sounds good...."

I can die now....

:drool:

I believe your story; really, I do.

but I just think Bono is full of shit when it comes to things like this; it's the 3rd leg; what do they care now about mixing it up?
and yeah.....they'll play a 3 hour show :rolleyes: however his pal Bruce does.....

are you sure he didn't say it in a sarcastic/smart ass kind of way; like:

"yeah.....maybe we should play a THREE HOUR show and have the fans decide WHAT WE PLAY!":madspit:

because if he was serious...they could make this happen.
they are the best band on the planet after all.

I seriously do think that sooner or later, U2 will have to consider longer shows simply due to the wealth of material in their back catalogue. If they want to keep representing their entire career, a longer show would probably be the best way to do that.

solacevip said:
I will confirm the above story.....he did mention...whether true or not...that it would be cool to have a website in which fans decided on the set list ahead of time. That may of been lip service...but has a band ever done that before?

Yes, well sorta. I remember hearing that a couple of tours ago one could log onto the rolling stones website and post your favorite song and the show that you will be attending and at each show the band played the most voted song for that specific show.

Also, a few tours ago, bowie had a song request portion on his website and he used this to determine the songs that were rehearsed for the tour.

Again, it's been done before, sorta.

Axver said:
I seriously do think that sooner or later, U2 will have to consider longer shows simply due to the wealth of material in their back catalogue. If they want to keep representing their entire career, a longer show would probably be the best way to do that.

Longer shows would mean less shows..

Steve

That's pretty awsome that edge actually listened to your opinions
and stuff. Most rock stars would proably just blow you off.
Edge rules!

TheBrazilianFly said:
I think it was a coincidence about Fast Cars, but the idea of having the fans picking the songs is great. Don't think they will do it though.

REM did it :shrug:

Great story. It must have been awesome thinking that you had brought on Fast Cars!

I kinda agree with Steved1998----while I'd love to see a 3-hour show, I'd be worried about Bono's voice and the state of the band as the tour rolled on...

Seems like some of people are missing the point.

If they put a poll up at U2.com most people would request popular songs. The hardcore fans that want songs like Mercy are a small minority, and it would be a frustrating experience for them.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if they play mercy at anypoint on this tour i'll lick my own asshole

not... happening...

LOL!!! I don't want to know how you would do that.

If U2 were to do a 3 hr shows they could take a 15 minute intermission. Pink Floyd did it.

These bastards better be playing for at least 12 hours for the price they are charging for their tickets...

Better yet, they should play for a couple of days non-stop... no bathroom breaks allowed.

Back
Top Bottom