Bono back problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grindstone

The Fly
has anyone else seen this today?

_____

Rumor: Bono in the Sick Bay? This morning on Los Angeles radio station KROQ, DJs Kevin and Bean were discussing U2's Grammy acceptance speech where Larry said the band may be cancelling dates for the rest of the year. Kevin, who was the announcer at this year's Grammy ceremony, said he heard reports that Bono has a slipped disk in his back and requires treatment. The back injury, according to Kevin, was why the band played the mellow "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" instead of Vertigo...

man, I wouldn't be surprised, they seemed VERY low key last night and I didn't understand at all why they were playing this instead of Vertigo, since that's the song that was nominated.

I missed Larry's speech.. did he say something about an uncertaintly of the tour? or shows?

someone enlighten me.

First off, I have a slipped disk...It is a chronic condition that requires anti-inflammatories (sp) and physical therapy ie., heat packs, massage, etc...it is NOT a tour stopping injury...just one that needs attention...

Secondly, Larry did not say that they ARE thinking about cancelling the tour...he said they WERE thinking about cancelling the tour...big difference...and unfortunately now we all know why that was now...I think this is all a big nothing...speculation at best...

cool thanks. yeah, I wasn't sure what he said since I missed when they were up there accepting the award. makes sense to me, thanks!

still I wonder if back problems led to the more mellow choice last night.. I know it's their UK single, but still..

they were uncertain before announcing the tour, but seem they have now decided to go ahead with it,

Grindstone said:

still I wonder if back problems led to the more mellow choice last night.. I know it's their UK single, but still..

Personally, I think the decision to play sycmioyo instead of the nominated Vertigo was because Vertigo has been a bit overplayed... sycmioyo is a chance for a larger audience to hear a song they probably haven't heard yet...

I had heard that Bono does suffer from a back injury (I believe there's a couple comments about it on showbizireland.com) but I don't think that played any part in the song choice...

Edited to add:

10-03-03 news
Bono's Back Clashes with Engagements...

Well it seems that Bono's back trouble, that was reported on ShowBiz Ireland first, it still giving him jipp - the U2 frontman has dropped out of more engagements because of treatment.

We told you a while back that Bono had dropped out of Neil Jordan's The Good Thief movie Premiere due to a slipped disc - it now seems that the ailment has made the singer cancel a number of his public engagements.

Bono was due to attend a ceremony in New York to induct UK punk band The Clash in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but had to pull out of the gig as he is receiving treatment on his back problem.

However, it is reported that U2 guitarist The Edge will attend the ceremony in Bono's place.

'http://www.showbizireland.com/news/march03/10-u2135.shtml

Also:

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/february03/19-u2131.shtml

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/february03/18-u2130.shtml

Last edited:
I'm sure if Bono receives treatment throughout the tour he'll be ok. What a rough begining U2 has had? I wish them the best.

if his back is still bothering him come Tour time, they can just wheel him out onstage on a couch like they did with Marlon Brando at the Michael Jackson 30th Anniversary concert a few years ago.

I remember seeing them at Foxboro, MA JT tour and Bono had his arm in a cast. The show went on but he wasn't able to wave the white flag as he was doing at prior shows. Selfish but I hope there are no cancellations - He can sit in a chair as long as his voice is on.

Numb1075 said:
perhaps, they'll wheel out Bono in a wheel chair.......

If they do wheel him out, I hope they just don't push him from the drum set and he tumbles over the stage. :slant:

I think he's had back problems for a while now. I don't think it will be a hindrance while on tour. If it gets bad, he may need meds and some special exercises. I had a pinch nerve that hurt like hell for over a year and I refused to give up gymnastics. As long as it's not putting direct pressure on your spine, you can as much as you want as long as you can deal with the pain.

In EYKIW, someone posted a bit from a fan's blog and Bono told her they played Sometimes b/c everyone's sick of Vertigo.

I've had a slipped disk before and there was a period of about 3 weeks when I couldn't even get out of the bed. It all depends on how severe it is. Back problems in general are incredibly painful. And since you are dealing with the spinal column, you're talking about nerves that can shoot the pain down either of your legs (as was my case). It made walking impossible.

Aging is a BITCH! Believe me! Bono could just come out and stand there looking hot and that would be okay with me! Larry has back pain too :( Perhaps it should be called the Vicodin Tour!:wink:

remember during the Joshua tour he cut his chin wasn't it? I hope you're ok Bono, that's what's important.

:bono: Bono told a few of us outside the hotel in LA on Saturday that the reason they weren't playing Vertigo was that "It's not a very Grammy kinda song, and it's been played a lot."

They just wanna change it up a bit I guess....

:happy:

Nothing could stop Bono from performing. Even if he's bound to a stretcher he'd be just as charismatic and excitable as ever.

Isn't the hotel they stay at in LA, located in Hollywood, near the Sunset Strip? North Hollywood area I thought.

And do you think that's where they'll be when the tour plays here in April, or will they use Edge's Malibu house?

Back
Top Bottom