Bomb Shelter - policy to change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is that it won't change. It really isn't thaaat terrible of a policy. It still is basically a first-come first-served rule. It just prevents silly overnight camping or getting there at 3AM. If the line starts at 9, you still get much the same experience waiting in line for 9 hours instead of 19.

One thing that may change is that there may not be a separate line for U2.com members. Just my own thought, nothing official. Theoretically, U2.com members who held out for 3rd leg tickets instead of 1st shouldn't have gotten screwed the same way the early buyers did. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see!

Utoo said:
My guess is that it won't change. It really isn't thaaat terrible of a policy. It still is basically a first-come first-served rule. It just prevents silly overnight camping or getting there at 3AM. If the line starts at 9, you still get much the same experience waiting in line for 9 hours instead of 19.

ummm, the first people to show up for a Saturday Chicago show arrived at 9am on Friday, thats over 34 hours of waiting. It hasnt prevented camping, and actually encourages people to show up earlier to secure a rail spot.

Last edited:
Now taking bets on how many posts it takes before this thread degenerates into a nasty argument and has to be shut down.

cbradfly1 said:
Now taking bets on how many posts it takes before this thread degenerates into a nasty argument and has to be shut down.

Love-In Part 2! :wink:

Chizip said:

ummm, the first people to show up for a Saturday Chicago show arrived at 9am on Friday, thats over 34 hours of waiting. It hasnt prevented camping, and actually encourages people to show up earlier to secure a rail spot.

True...but not in the same amounts. Some venues had a get a wristband and return policy... which was great.

The OOTS said:

True...but not in the same amounts. Some venues had a get a wristband and return policy... which was great.

Yeah, but the issue at hand is the ellipse policy, not the venue's line-up policies. I agree with Chip - the ellipse lottery doesn't fulfill its purpose at all. Honestly, I don't really care about it either way anymore b/c I think I prefer the outside rail (I say this having never been inside the ellipse), but it does suck to have to line up for over 24 hrs to get a decent rail spot.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yeah, but the issue at hand is the ellipse policy, not the venue's line-up policies. I agree with Chip - the ellipse lottery doesn't fulfill its purpose at all. Honestly, I don't really care about it either way anymore b/c I think I prefer the outside rail (I say this having never been inside the ellipse), but it does suck to have to line up for over 24 hrs to get a decent rail spot.

If there were no ellipse policy, you'd have to line up early anyways to get a decent ellipse and rail spot.

The OOTS said:

If there were no ellipse policy, you'd have to line up early anyways to get a decent ellipse and rail spot.

No, b/c during Elevation, you could fit, say, the first 200 people in line in the heart, plus another 50 along the outside rail. Now, there are NO guaranteed spots inside the ellipse, so only the first 50 people are guaranteed outside rail spots, as opposed to the first 250.

People are lining up earlier to get fewer spots. I doubt anyone who's lining up 36 hrs before the show is doing so banking on a 1/10 chance of getting in the ellipse. No, these people, myself included, line up for a spot on the rail, assuming we don't get in the ellipse.

If there were no ellipse policy for this tour, I believe the lineups would be even greater and earlier than they were for Elevation.

Sure there are still lineups, but probably to a lesser degree overall.

Which makes me wonder what'll happen December 10th in Cleveland. It could very well be 12 degrees, -5 windchill with 15 inches of snow on the ground. That, my friends, will separate the men from the boys (or the sane from the idiots, take your pick).

U2Girl1978 said:
Leave it the way it is or your just going to have the same situation like the one that happened on the Elevation leg. I don't have time for shit like that.

what happened on the elevation leg?

No, b/c during Elevation, you could fit, say, the first 200 people in line in the heart, plus another 50 along the outside rail. Now, there are NO guaranteed spots inside the ellipse, so only the first 50 people are guaranteed outside rail spots, as opposed to the first 250.

People are lining up earlier to get fewer spots. I doubt anyone who's lining up 36 hrs before the show is doing so banking on a 1/10 chance of getting in the ellipse. No, these people, myself included, line up for a spot on the rail, assuming we don't get in the ellipse.

exactly right...no one seems to understand this for some reason.

ruffian said:

exactly right...no one seems to understand this for some reason.

i understand it, and have been preaching it since the beginning ;)

:yes:

B/c of this I will be camping for the first time in Chicago. hooray west side. :| :wink:

Chizip said:

so do you like the lottery or not?

no, i think they should get rid of it. the only way in which it *might* be good is that if you show up late you have a chance of getting close to the stage by getting into the ellipse. but i think it should be first come first-served.

ruffian said:

no, i think they should get rid of it. the only way in which it *might* be good is that if you show up late you have a chance of getting close to the stage by getting into the ellipse. but i think it should be first come first-served.

see, we agree on some things ;)

Lemonfix said:
Which makes me wonder what'll happen December 10th in Cleveland. It could very well be 12 degrees, -5 windchill with 15 inches of snow on the ground. That, my friends, will separate the men from the boys (or the sane from the idiots, take your pick).

You're going to Cleveland too? :hmm:

My kind hail from Minnesota, I ain't scared of no cold weather! I will line up all day.

i'm hoping to be in cleveland...god i hope they let us wait inside :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom