Best show so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strwar718

The Fly
This question goes out to the fans who have been to multiple shows in multiple cities. Forgetting about the set list (the usual complaints of it being the same over and over), was the 10/14 MSG show the best of the tour (sound wise, energy wise, certain song selection, crowd, bands mood, etc)... i have only been to 3 and i really think it was the best one i saw...

i would like some feedback on this.

thanks

I seem to remember people saying good things about Berlin, Barcelona and some of the Croker shows.

I was at one chicago show and two Croke shows and Croke 2 was the best I have ever seen, even Gavin Friday said it was the best rock concert he has ever seen.

I've been to Toronto 9/16, MSG 10/7, and MSG 10/8.

Toronto 3 was the best in terms of spontaneity:

1. Birthday call to BB King
2. Bringing up local band Menew for Out of Control
3. Filming of Fast Cars Video
4. Daniel Lanois joining them for One
5. First COBL opener of the 3rd leg
6. I got scanned into the ellipse

MSG 10/7 was pretty exciting for me, personally, also as I've always wanted to see U2 at MSG and it was just electric. But 10/8 totally blew 10/7 away in terms of crowd participation. I don't know if it was a factor of the presale or what, but there was no comparison. I couldn't hear myself scream on 10/8, it was incredible.

So for me, Toronto 3 was my favorite show and that was only because of all the things that happened that normally don't happen at a U2 show and that I got into the ellipse. It's a completely subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Unless somebody has been to every show, and watched them all from the same seat, nobody can really say for sure.

But personally, my favorite was Chicago 9-20. Had Discotheque and The Fly in the encore, had the premier of The First Time as well as an acoustic Walk On, Yahweh was moved to the main set and it closed with Bad.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
Unless somebody has been to every show, and watched them all from the same seat, nobody can really say for sure.

and even THAT person who sat in the same seat for every show could have biases, and would we really want to have just one person's opinion?

with that being said, we can still give our collective opinions from our experiences, right? Which I believe is what the original poster asked...

HelloAngel said:

Ooh. Do you have more info you can give me on this? That would be rad. :up:

Only that they had a crew up filming Fast Cars during Toronto 3 and Toronto 4. I was hoping to see the footage included in the dvd's or perhaps it will be a stand alone video. Not sure what the plans are for it...

Lian Lunson was the filmer, who also had her film 'Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man' premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival. Bono had also made an appearance at the premiere.

09-16-05_2250.jpg

I was at all 5 shows at the garden this week... If I had to rate them first off YES, this is the best U2 has been playing since I first saw them in the 80's.... next out of these 5 shows I think 10/8 was best - amazing energy from the crowd and Bad + 40.. wow. 10/14 was amazing as well... a near tie for the 5 night run...

Chizip said:

But personally, my favorite was Chicago 9-20. Had Discotheque and The Fly in the encore, had the premier of The First Time as well as an acoustic Walk On, Yahweh was moved to the main set and it closed with Bad.

Doesn't get much better than that.

I agree :D

plus the 9/20 show had the most Bono interaction with the crowd that I have seen yet and the band as a whole seemed like they were really having a good time on stage. It wasn't a flawless show but it was fun and it showed what great live performers they are - it was the kind of show that made me a u2 fan in the first place

I was at BostonI in May, and then MSGII, III, and V this past week. Of the four, I'm not sure which I'd put on top...probably MSG V, for the best overall combo of being a great setlist and having a great audience.

I had a great time at BostonI, but the setlist was kind of lacklustre. The Ocean in place of ACD/ITH and the recently dropped NYD, didn't exactly cut it for me.

MSGII was had great energy from the band and the crowd, and it was great to hear AIWIY, WGRYWH, and Fast Cars, among others.

MSGIII was memorable for having Bad, the 3rd encore of 40, and the Achtung 1st encore, but the crowd didn't seem as into it, imho. On 10/8, the crowd really seemed to take off w/ the chorus of 40, but on Monday, it just kind of died by the time Larry was left on his own, and there was virtually no singing after he left. Kind of a disappointment there.

MSGV had a great crowd, and I think a pretty great setlist. I know a lot of you guys were expecting more, but Gloria, and Electric Co together, a messed up, but fun version of Party Girl, etc. made for a fabulous night.

Honorable mention goes to the Brooklyn Bridge show for packing one hell of a whollop for an hour long, 11 song show!! Is it wrong to say that that may well have been my favorite show? A beyond beautiful setting in front of the NYC skyline, probably the best spot I'll ever have at a U2 show (about 10 rows back, dead center) IWF, OOC, SAMTM, and all the new Bomb songs...and all for FREE!!! It was a great night!!

Last edited:
mabel said:
MSGV had a great crowd, and I think a pretty great setlist. I know a lot of you guys were expecting more, but Gloria, and Electric Co together, a messed up, but fun version of Party Girl, etc. made for a fabulous night.

shhhh, be careful. Don't forget MSG V wasn't very good or at best disappointing because the set-list wasn't varied enough or so judge the majority who weren't there.... :wink: :wink:

i agree about brooklyn bridge.. it was also my first time seeing them live lol... it was amazing and everytime i see the video or the mtv special i get chills lol

strwar718 said:
i agree about brooklyn bridge.. it was also my first time seeing them live lol... it was amazing and everytime i see the video or the mtv special i get chills lol

Brooklyn was :drool:, and for me, it's what made me decide to spend all my extra money on Vertigo this year :wink:

I love the Vertigo opening show, despite the raw edges and mistakes. It was my first time seeing the boys live and a memory deep within my heart that I will treasure ALWAYS. I had GREAT seats, surrounded by friends and we danced and sang till we had no more voices. The lights were spectacular, the fans were awesome, and it was only 3 miles from my house! :laugh:

strwar718 said:
This question goes out to the fans who have been to multiple shows in multiple cities. Forgetting about the set list (the usual complaints of it being the same over and over), was the 10/14 MSG show the best of the tour (sound wise, energy wise, certain song selection, crowd, bands mood, etc)... i have only been to 3 and i really think it was the best one i saw...

i would like some feedback on this.

thanks

gosh, have they even played any shows outside of Boston/NYC???

who knew the world tour would include non-Northeast United States stops??

God Part III said:
I was at Croke #1.

I could've been at Croke #2.

:banghead:

me 2
U2 seemed off that night
I saw amsterdam 1 and that rocked
But Cardiff was the best for me because it was Dark(which gave a great atmosphere) the entire concert and the sound was crystal and so loud

I have a picture I took of Electric Co for instance

Attachments

• rdc_small.jpg
    rdc_small.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 71
Seattle II
Chicago IV
Amsterdam I
Amsterdam III
Chicago V

To me, Nice was the best show I've attended. Berlin was bad, Zurich was ok.
Nice show started in the dark, they were so pumped up..... great great show.
However, like everybody knows, Europe shows had very much the same setlist every time. I feel like some of the american shows are more spontaneous and better..... for example Chicago 10/20 with Discotheque is great.....:drool:

I've been to quite a varied selection and tried to pick them for reasons that might result in excellent shows. I've not been disappointed once.

My shows were

Boston - May 26th
Boston - May 28th
Twickenham - June 19th
Dublin - June 24th (1st night)
Barcelona - Aug 7th
MSG / NYC - Oct 10th

I can easily rate these myself and my opinions seem to have tied in with the general feel for each of the gigs. All I know is I've seen 4 out of 6 amazing shows and the remaining 2 were execellent but not as good as the others.

1st - MSG - 10th Oct
Best opening of the tour, best crowd of the tour, Bono was on fire, the band were on fire, the setlist was awesome and it was everything I'd ever wanted from a U2 gig - my 56th gig in 22yrs and in NYC - brilliant!!!

2nd - Barcelona - 7th Aug
Best outdoor gig - biggest stadium in Europe. Lovely day, massive crowd who went absolutely nuts, band were great, Edges birthday was great and they played Party Girl - brilliant!!

3rd - Boston - 26th May
My first USA gig which was a lifetimes dream, lived up to all my expectations and the crowd in Boston are a full on Irish crowd so it had that special feel. MSG stole it though.

4th - Dublin - 24th June
Apart from the fact it pi*ssed down with rain the entire time I had a blast although I have seen them 3 times now in Ireland and Slane cannot be beaten

The other 2 were excellent but nothing special.

My best all time list to put this in perspective

1 - Slane Castle - Elevation
2 - MSG - Vertigo
3 - Barcelona - Vertigo
4 - Dortmund - Love Comes to Town
5 - London - Unforgettable Fire
6 - Frankfurt - Zoo TV
7 - Dublin - RDS - Zooropa
8 - Aylesbury (my hometown) - October
9 - London - Joshua Tree
10 - Cologne - Achtung Baby

Thus ends the ramblings of an old timer.

:blahblah:

Back
Top Bottom