Best Performance so far is???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Balfron

Acrobat
Just wondering what you guys think is the best performance so far. (Please dont start arguing about this but) Bono's voice isnt always very strong, and i was wondering whether there is any one show where he particularly shines?

i cant make the tour this year, im doing charity work in kenya when they come to Scotland, so i want to download a show to listen to it on my iPod. Whats the best show to download in terms of the quality of the performance and the quality of the download?

I talked to a couple of writers from @U2.com who had seen about 7 shows so far up to Vancouver and ranked Seattle 1 above Vancouver 1 as the best up until then.

Last night was pretty damn good! Bono's voice held up really well and he wasn't holding back at all. I recorded 5 songs but I didn't take my adapter along with me. Sorry. I'm assuming someone has a really nice bootleg it's just not ready yet.

hey mikal, knox, wouldnt you say that it seemed the band cut off bad to early for bono? that and beautiful day, he seemed like he wanted to keep improvising with 'the goal is soul' but then the band would wrap it up. twas a great show

mofo82 said:
hey mikal, knox, wouldnt you say that it seemed the band cut off bad to early for bono? that and beautiful day, he seemed like he wanted to keep improvising with 'the goal is soul' but then the band would wrap it up. twas a great show

Yeah, I definitely got that impression many times throughout the show, not just on Bad and Beautiful Day, but a couple others (that I can't remember).

knox said:

Yeah, I definitely got that impression many times throughout the show, not just on Bad and Beautiful Day, but a couple others (that I can't remember).

Yep...it did feel like it. Anyhow, that and only at the beginning of miracle drug did I feel any awkwardness.

The show was by far the best I have seen or heard in a long long time. I couldn't believe it.

BAD was remarkable.

I've saw all the Vancouver/seattle performances. Definitely Seattle2. Word is that Denver2 was the second best off all the shows so far, according to those that follow them.

What's now weird is that Seattle now has 3 shows that hardcore fans will speak of for a long time. 1992 Tacoma2, Popmart Kingdome, and now Key Arena2. Must be something in the water.

U2FP

Seattle 2 was awesome...I don't see how it could get much better. The Vertigo encore was so amazing, and I have NEVER been to a concert where the energy from the crowd was that strong.

It's funny how during the past three tours the Seattle shows have been tour highlights yet the Northwest does not have a strong U2 following like other parts of the USA. They certainly have given the Northwest some great moments...

Bad totally rocked on Saturday night. I don't know whether to hope they'll mix up the set list for the rest of the shows or not b/c I don't remember seeing it on previous setlists? Lots of people are saying we might get the same set all week b/c of the filming. And that wouldn't be all "Bad", no pun intended.

I’m curious if anybody can put Denver2 in context of some of the Seattle / Vancouver shows and now Chicago 1.

D2 was pretty darn amazing, including Bad and Gloria, and my hunch is that discussions of “better” are really getting to the margins of incrementally better by just minor amounts

I could definitely be wrong, but am struggling to believe that any particular night -- notwithstanding the pretty well documented one off night (Anaheim??) – could be that much better than the next.

Thoughts? Context on D2 with other solid nights?

Thanks

Zoocoustic said:
Seattle 2 was awesome...I don't see how it could get much better. The Vertigo encore was so amazing, and I have NEVER been to a concert where the energy from the crowd was that strong.

It's funny how during the past three tours the Seattle shows have been tour highlights yet the Northwest does not have a strong U2 following like other parts of the USA. They certainly have given the Northwest some great moments...

I feel so lucky... Seattle 2 was my first U2 show. It was fabulous!

Chicago 1 was my first show of this tour. But I saw Popmart once and Elevation 3 times, and this was easily the best U2 concert I've ever seen, let alone best concert overall.

You are all so right, Bono did absolutely NAIL "Bad". He nailed the high notes in "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" and "All Because of You" effortlessly. I don't understand where all the negative reviews for Chicago 1 are coming from. I was there, in the nosebleeds, 4 rows down from the bloody spotlights, and I thought it was great! All the way up in the rafters, the band still found a way to reach me. I thought Bono moved around plenty, Adam actually becoming a part of show for once is a great change, and I thought the audience participation was through the roof! I have no complaints at all about Bono, Adam or Larry's performance. Edge seemed to be having technical problems, and didn't move about the stage very much. I guess he needed to stay close to his gear due to the problems. But he still played very well! Out of ten, I give this concert 100!!

The_acrobat said:
I don't understand where all the negative reviews for Chicago 1 are coming from.

i was there too, and i can say that although it was a great show, overall there was a lot of room for improvement. i was mostly disappointed with vertigo and streets, prob the two songs i was looking foreward to most on this tour. bono's vocals on vertigo were messed up because, i believe, there was soemthing wrong with his earpiece. i noticed him looking off stage and pointing to it during the song. i shook my head during streets. i understand bono's quest for helping africa, but imo it ruined the energy of the song; no red lights, no full on lights after the build, nothing. i agree however, that BAD flippin rocked, as did love and peace, zoostation and the fly. but overall i was dissapointed due to the "cookie cutter" setlist and the botched songs.

Denver 2 was amazing, That was my first U2 show so I'm a bit biased

Hmm, too much bias.
:wink:

Over 700 posts roughly, before your first U2 show? That must have been a painful wait --- wonder what the record ratio is -- # of Interference Posts before your first show?

Seattle 2

I have attended 5 shows on the tour so far including San Diego 1, San Diego 2, LA 1, Seattle 1 and Seattle 2....and Seattle 2 was by far the best. It was definitely an energy thing...by far the strongest I've felt at a U2 concert....and I've been to 13 U2 shows since 1992.

The young boy Jason, Bono's guitar solo at the beginning of Running to Stand Still (which I'd never heard), Vertigo being played at the end...., Norweigian Wood and Ruby Tuesday during Bad....amazing.

Seattle 2 had that certain X factor - particularly Bono. I think Edge has played remarkably throughout the tour but Bono hasn't, for my money, been emotionally invested in the older songs night in and night out. For the most part, he's been right there for the new songs but for some reason hasn't -- to me anyway -- seemed on it for the old stuff. By the way I'm not talking technically vocally -- I'm talking about that intangible factor that lifts the songs to the heavens on special nights. For Seattle 2 he had that certain something going from the get go. A special show. Haven't heard Chicago 1 or 2 but have heard or been to most of the other shows.

Back
Top Bottom