Best part of the tour to see u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best part of the tour to see u2

• 1st leg - early shows

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 1st leg - later shows

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • 2nd leg - early shows

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • 2nd leg - later shows

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • 3rd leg - early shows

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • 3rd leg - middle shows

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • 3rd leg - later shows

Votes: 27 21.8%

• Total voters

nurse chrissi

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
out of the current tour (legs 1-3) what do you think was the best time to see the band live?
For the most part we know that seeing the band in a city with multiple shows *can* be the best way to see some setlist variety but when do you think the tour peaked this year?
discuss:D

I'd say start of the 3rd leg 'cos they were debuting all those new songs like Fast Cars, The First Time and Crumbs.

start of the 3rd for sure, had the most variation

also had the addition of walk on acoustic and discotheque to the ones previoulsy mentioned

How can I answer. I saw the beginning of the tour, and somewhere in early November... Then 2 shows later they put back in UTEOTW and MW :(

smileplease said:
Dublin.

End of story and end of debate.

Sorry mate, Milan 1 & 2 just took the piss of everything else they done so far this year..:wink:

Therefore, the Euro leg was the best leg to see them imo. Despite no significant set list variation, I always preferred U2 in stadiums rather that arenas.

Start of the third. Whole of the first was really good too.

End of the third is the worst so far in my opinion.

The whole third leg post-Chicago is a huge disappointment for me.
Throwing out the best songs of the tour for overplayed, average "hits" is not my idea of the best way to see them.
I want my Electric Co, Zoo Station, The Fly, Discotheque and Running To Stand Still back!

Chizip said:

if you like u2 on cruise control :down:

I don't usually disagree with you Chizip but I have to here..... just b/c the setlist is the same (..I know) doesn't mean the shows can not be individually outstanding. I still haven't come down from my 2 great Boston shows last week. Pretty much the same setlist, but the energy and attack on the songs were unreal.

oliveu2cm said:

I don't usually disagree with you Chizip but I have to here..... just b/c the setlist is the same (..I know) doesn't mean the shows can not be individually outstanding. I still haven't come down from my 2 great Boston shows last week. Pretty much the same setlist, but the energy and attack on the songs were unreal.

im not a big fan of the current setlist, thats why im not thrilled with them being static now. zoo station/the fly/discotheque/running to stand still/electric co/miracle drug/the first time were all highlights for me, and now they are all gone.

if they played these songs in the current setlists, then i wouldnt mind so much if they were the same. but i guess thats just song preference.

I would argue that wanting The Electric Co. (aka The Highlight Of The Tour) in the setlist is a little more than mere song preference.

Chizip said:

im not a big fan of the current setlist, thats why im not thrilled with them being static now. zoo station/the fly/discotheque/running to stand still/electric co/miracle drug/the first time were all highlights for me, and now they are all gone.

if they played these songs in the current setlists, then i wouldnt mind so much if they were the same. but i guess thats just song preference.

Ah, gotchya. Yeah it was brilliant to have those songs played live! RTSS was my Number One desire live forever. :heart: And (not to detour the thread) Miracle Drug remained one of the best moments of every show for me when it was played. I've harped on it enough but NJ2 has the best MD I've ever heard.

You raise a good point, though. First leg had "better" songs (which is subjective, I admit) but I think the 2nd leg has "better" shows. :hmm:

I just realized I haven't heard the boot of Discotheque from this tour! :scratch:

oliveu2cm said:

You raise a good point, though. First leg had "better" songs (which is subjective, I admit) but I think the 2nd leg has "better" shows. :hmm:

The 2nd leg had almost the same songs as the 1st leg. And 2nd leg shows were identical to each other and had Vertigo x2, how could those shows be better than the 1st or 3rd leg shows? :confused:

ramblin rose said:

The 2nd leg had almost the same songs as the 1st leg. And 2nd leg shows were identical to each other and had Vertigo x2, how could those shows be better than the 1st or 3rd leg shows? :confused:

i think by second leg she meant third leg

though most of the songs i mentioned, except for running to standstill, were all rotated in early in the 3rd leg setlists. thats why i voted for it :drool:

I ended up picking end (middle) of 1st leg, but it could of easily been beginning of 3rd leg. The Boy songs were a real treat when they first premiered on this tour. The Cry/The Electric Co. (I Can See For Miles - snippet) going into An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart or having Gloria/The Ocean. Never would of guessed that I could see these songs live. Also, when Bad first premiered in Phoenix and went on pretty much for every second show was really special. I never would of guessed that Bad would become rarer and rarer as the tour went on. And how can I not mention the great Achtung Trio encore. Zoo Station/The Fly/Mysterious Ways was a monster trio without a doubt. Everything after that trio was a bonus.

Last edited:
I was in Boston for the Oct.4th Show...middle 3rd,
INFUC*!N!!! credible, been a fan for years but never saw the boys live until that nite, Absolutly AMAZING to hear The Cry/Elec.Co. !!!!:drool: and one of my all time favorites...40!!! - from what I heard and I saw the Org. set list , they were supposed to do Bad, but went with 40 instead to end the show, and I was in heaven :wink: - Then saw them again in Boston on Dec.4th, the unprecedented 3!!! encore show - end of tour, and that just blew me away, words cannot begin to describe that show, I thought they were gonna play all nite, and I wouldve stayed all nite, maybe they saved the best for last...:yes:

Chizip said:

i think by second leg she meant third leg

though most of the songs i mentioned, except for running to standstill, were all rotated in early in the 3rd leg setlists. thats why i voted for it :drool:

oops- yes, I did mean 3rd leg. thanks for clarifying.

nurse chrissi-- :up: :up: Thanks!!!

I would say the beginning of the third leg. I say that because they were rolling at that point and had the core songs down completely. Then started to experiment with a few others at the same time. That is U2 at its best IMO.

I would say for just flat out single performance wise, now may be the time as they are rolling completely and have the show down. The drawback is no variation or very little.

I also disagree with the poster that said post Chicago 3rd leg was a disappointment. Still saw alot of variety beyond Chicago. Plus Crumbs was done for the first time AFTER Chicago. Electric Co was still played for a good portion of the third leg. It was only dropped completely recently. Which I agree is a shame, but it doesnt make the rest of the leg a disappointment IMO.

Last edited:
i saw them in may and again yesterday :drool: and i'd have to say that yesterday they just sounded better... if thats possible i mean. something about bono's voice i suppose. set lists were really different and idk how i feel about that. although, they did play wowy yesterday, which they didnt in may, and its my fav song.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom