Believin' all the lies that they tell ya, buyin' all the tickets that they sell ya

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadRacer

The Fly
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! ... ... You know what, I tried to get tickets to David Bowie when he was in the area, who is supposed to be dead and gone for years. (Seriously, who cares about David Bowie, nowadays?) Ticketmaster.com, I was there a couple of minutes before they went on sale until an hour after. The first second, it was all sold out, without hope. I tried the phone because I thought I got an error or something, but they confirmed that fear. Linkin Park? Forget that! You can't get a ticket on the floor, or a decent seat. I had been just as committed, there the first second the website let the general public in on that sale. C'mon, they just dropped their SECOND album, and you've got to be in a fan club to see them properly?? Who knows if I had been in the fanclub whether I would have gotten a better offer?! But Linkin Park are not as big as U2, as you know, if you know them at all, so you get an idea of the dark cloud of desperation that loomed above my head for the oncoming general public sale on the 12th of March. I knew if I wanted to be in there, I had to act early.

I tried to sign up for U2.com, but, I guess fortunately for my ass, they had already posted the warning up in the center somewhere: "Due to unexpected demand, we will not be giving out any more pre-sale codes with new memberships for the 2005 Vertigo Tour." Next, I turned to U2tours.com (where tickets are sold at face value, only - scalpers are dead people to me) to post early for Tampa and even Miami, that I'm waiting for tickets with open arms. Then some fool came and criticized me for rushing things in regard to a show that hasn't even gone on sale yet. I told him just what I'm telling you know: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!"

8-ticket-men. Are you kidding me? Having that many tickets, that's just a slap in the face of the fan who doesn't have any ticket! That's just flaunting your sh*t! Yeah, I've got a grudge against scalpers and ticket brokers, too, but I also have a grudge with so-called fans who get their dirty hands on 8 tickets and only want to trade them. Do you people with tickets just want to be an elite club and have the same people at all the shows, all the time? Don't you realize you're shutting us out? And, of course, once you get there, you're just *sob*bing little flowers! I wonder how great a time you would have at the show if nobody bought them, if you were sitting on all of these eight tickets! And then there are those people that are planning on fighting for the front on some shows, and on other shows they just want to take it easy, sit back with some beer and pretzels. If you are a real U2 fan, doesn't it make you feel bad if you're sittin' there watchin' several shows and there are people out there who fought hard but couldn't get into ONE show??!!

I tried to get 2 GA tickets, but all I was offered was the ass of the arena. Even if I had been offered decent seats, I wouldn't have been able to afford them. I'm one of those poor hardcore fans you may have heard about. But let me tell it to you straight from the heart. I've just come from two small venue / club shows, this weekend, and the energy in there was just amazing. I mean, you had people piling themselves on people, reaching for the microphone and getting it handed to you while the strangers that have just become your fellows are holding you up with their shoulders, where the people jump and bounce the way they're supposed to when you speak of a "rocking show" (I know that has become a very cheap word), the motion of bodies, the energy that's being sent back to the performer, the jumping up and down, raised arms, the crazy dancing. Nobody got hurt, but you won't listen. You know, everybody who is afraid to rub up against a mosh pit shouldn't even go to live shows. You are a disgrace! You don't know what it's like, you're just full of myths and superstitions and bullsh*t. Whoever thinks moshing is inappropriate behavior at a rock concert is an cowardly fool who has no true life in him. Have you ever been thrown backwards through three rows of people before being caught by the fourth, without touching the floor? There's no pain involved - it's like swimming in a sea of pillows. It's great! C'mon, we're humans. You gotta embrace this fact. It has its disadvantages to be so soft and clawless in nature, but it's great for concerts. Imagine if we were alligators with that hard skin and those clawed feet.
Now, we're not talking about bringing the club experience to a U2 show. We're just talking about bringing some fire to those very alive U2 tunes, and perhaps even show U2 an experience they've been missing ever since they became a world-stage player. Heck, they may even want to do another date in Tampa, just for us. And don't forget the most important things. I'm sorry, U2 fans, but I've seen some sorry *sob*s standing there like flowers in the meadow, bopping their heads to the music. When I see people who are so close to the band and don't even use the opportunity to go off like a rocket; they scream in the wrong places and are strangely sedate when they could send a strong signal; they exert their energies when there is going to be the obligatory encore, anyway, but as soon as the band says "goodbye" they drop out - I don't believe U2 would turn their backs on a wild crowd. I think you guys need to be shaken up from your routine, and you would benefit from feeling the exhaustion when the fire touches you.
Call me a resident of the fantasy world, but I'm running the concert in image form in my head, what a good concert should FEEL like. I mean, people, you pay upwards of $50 for standing on your feet for a looooong time, waiting for entertainment to happen. It comes, lasts about two hours, and leaves you. Paying that much should get you close to the fantasy realm. Or, at least a good memory that will last a lifetime. Speaking completely honestly, I see the heart of Elevation and all of us drenched in red light with Bono singing not one of their more "hard" tunes, but one that has lots of fire, inside, and I just see an ocean of hands and heads moving unpredictably, like waves in a wild ocean, and we're not all standing upward, either, but flowing sideways, sometimes, to the vibes. Let me tell you, I've never been so on fire for a concert as with this one. But I gotta be on the floor for that, because when you're stuck with those apathetic fools, no matter how shining you are, you're gonna be blotted out. You have to situate yourself in a position of leadership in the pit. I've been on the balcony, and let me tell you, it's not worth it. You take one step to the left and you are reprimanded by security. I envied the people in the heart, who had the freedom to move. So, the next concerts, I made a serious effort to get GA tickets. But, alas, I was greatly disappointed by the sheer lack of enthusiasm of those stiffs - they would have made a good seated audience. My friend and I said: "That's enough! This is not acceptable! We gotta show these people how to have a good time!" So, we made it happen. Let's just say everybody there heard those artists say they'll DEFINITELY come back, every time. These were small concerts, where it is easier to influence everybody in there, but if you don't bond together and do something, big concerts are not going to be considered LIVE - you might as well watch TV!

"they say jump and you say how high, you're brain dead, you got a fuckin bullet in your head."

had to finish off the verse :wink:

havent read ure whole post, but rage against the machine :rockon:

Last edited:
RAGE reference :rockon:

Rad Racer just went up a notch in my book

RademR - LOL I didn't read the whole thing either, I just got excited w/ the Rage reference

A little while ago, I listened to a RATM DVD, and I was surprised how some of their songs (especially Bullet in The Head) are really similair to Bullet. :ohmy:
I wish U2 makes more songs like that...:drool:

That RATM DVD from Mexico is fantastic

sorry for the thread hijack...we now take you back to your scheduled program:wink:

RadRacer-

Interesting post. Yes, tickets for the Vertigo Tour have been difficult to purchase during the regular sales. GA's have been especially tough to purchase because thousands of people try at the same second to purchase GA's from a limited supply. Ticket brokers compound the problem because they are allotted tickets and they try to buy tickets during the regular sale. Reserved tickets, however, have been fairly easy to purchase for nearly every show if you get online and try ticketmaster at 10AM sharp when tickets go on sale.

One main cause for fan frustration is that many people feel they deserve great seats or need to have GA's to enjoy a show. Why are people complaining when they are given the opportunity to buy upper deck seats? Why are you complaining? YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO BUY TICKETS FOR THE CONCERT! Also, why are you complaining about ticket prices? Did you not check the prices before attempting to buy tickets? You need to realize that concerts are a luxury and not everyone can afford them.

During the JT and ZooTV tours, ticket demand significantly exceeded supply. The difference back then was that people who were given the chance to purchase ANY tickets (over the phone or at a ticket window) realized how fortunate they were to get ANYTHING- and of course they purchased the tickets, even if they were in the upper deck. They didn't feel they had to get floor tickets to enjoy the show. Also, they knew how much tickets cost, and often paid in CASH- which is much different from today's debt- financed society where we put everything on credit cards.

Yes, I'm one of the people who rips into fans who ask for tickets BEFORE a show goes on sale to the public. I do not understand why anyone would do this. They always say that they are "covering their bases," but an intelligent, well-researched U2 fan would be able to get tickets to ANY show they wanted without having to send out a plea to the U2 community.

PS, does anyone have any GA's for the Cleveland show?

:ohmy: Wow
I've rarely ever taken the time and money to even try to go to a really big concert (you know, we're talking headliners, major money and attention and demand) so I guess I didn't realize just how much trouble it had been. I mean, I'd caught wind of the complaints, obviously but I'm sort of out of the loop way up here in the middle of frozen nowhere. I had no problem getting GA's for the Green Day concert this may, and I figured I was just too slow on the earlier U2 concerts which were within reasonable distance. I feel extremely fortunate that I got the tickets for this new show they just announced; even if they aren't on the floor. I've never had the chance to see them live, so I'll take what I can get. Of course, I did have to sell my left arm in order to afford the tickets at $100 apiece but I'm gonna have to make the most of it. Personally, I don't think people deserve to call themselves fans if they are abusing the concerts buying tickets up for their own benefit. It's probably better for me NOT to be on the floor, no matter how much I wish I could be... I'd just end up being taken down by security or arrested for indecent exposure... I've had a run in or two with security at one of the smaller concerts I was at a few years back. I get a little wound up (as if you couldn't guess!) Of course I have to say a lot of people were impressed that it took three rather large men to get my little 5'3" I-won't-say-how-many-pounds ass back where I was supposed to be... :D (I'm kinda proud of that) I figure it this way, I somehow managed to get in to see the show and I'm treating it like a once in a lifetime shot; make the most of it. Too bad you aren't up North with me, After I bought two tickets I realized I didn't know who to take along... I mean I have a couple friends who are a lot of fun, but none that are even half as into U2 as I am. I think I'll have to set up some sort of quiz to see who qualifies for the seat next to mine. :)
Excelent rant, by the way. Very well articulated.
And don't let the bastards grind you down! :sexywink:

Thank You, Buckman, and Sad Girl, for taking the time to actually read my post. But you Rage against the Machine guys are also cool, and thanks for not hijacking my post, indefinitely.

Sad Girl, you're my only and best friend on this forum. You're probably as starry-eyed about U2 as my friend and I were, back in December 2001, when Elevation became our first concert. Back then, just getting to see them was a big blessing (although the bad seats we had cost only half the $ they do this time, around), but something prevented me from enjoying myself, completely. It was big and magical, yes, but it wasn't complete. It wasn't as satisfying as concerts that I've visited, since, where I was in the action. I guess one of the more or less discernable points I made up there is that the only real place to enjoy a concert is to be without an alloted seat. Why? Because it's hypocrisy when the band and the organizers of a show want people to "go crazy", but then whack 'em on the back of the head when they are moved to get out of their seat. There's actually this sick rule that you cannot even stand up from your seat unless more than 50% of the seated audience are standing. I guess I'm inviting you all to swim in the sea of incredible freedom that GA can be, and if there is a need to change concerts as people's perception of them changes, then organizers will find a way.
Of course, once you get into the GA area, you're confronted with the second problem: People with "seat mentality". People that don't know that they would never go back to being like that if they once just experienced the free flow of energy. I guess I'm asking for a chance to get myself down on the floor, again, of something that really touched me, back then, with a couple of friends who understand what I'm trying to say, and then we'll show everyone what a concert is - and I mean EVERYONE (VERTIGO would be my 5th major concert).

You are totally optimistic, like an anime character. Having to be taken down by security is something to think about, whether there's not a problem with you. I can just imagine you thinking back to that experience with a smile on your face. I like that.
So, you're 5' 3"? That makes it a little difficult in the tough area, but I've seen plenty of small girls moshing.

IMPORTANT NOTE on my FIRST POST: And if you're worried about me just wanting to start the largest ever mosh pit, you can be relieved. (I'm rather shy and a gentle spirit, believe it or not.) I wouldn't have anything against it, but I 'm talking about other ways of having fun. I only used that exaggeration of "anyone who is afraid to rub up against a mosh pit" to make a point.

Buckman,
It is the truth that all I could have gotten my hands on is the outermost part of the opposite side of the arena, the "ass" in vulgate, and that's more a rip off than what I had in 2001 (even though, back then, I bought my tickets two weeks before the show - can you imagine??).
I knew the ticket prices ahead of time and knew I couldn't afford anything other than GA. I did my homework well. Besides, even though shy and reserved when you meet me on the street, I think I am one of those born for Pit only.
Sure, concerts, like many things on our capitalistic market, are a luxury. Some parts of my complaint are addressed to anyone in a position of power to make changes. Larry Mullen, for example, may know about fans' feelings, and he's stood up for them, in the past. Even Bono talked about keeping prices low, even without sponsors. Alas, these days, maybe it's wishful to hope U2 are going to change their money-grubbing ways:)
Is there a difference between the time of JT and ZooTV and now? Fans are still grabbing any ticket they can get. The question is, can we be a little more intelligent fans, who won't be sold out? :) (As you can see, I also have a sense of humor that can't be stopped from coming up, when things get too serious.)
I'll give you that, there are (at least) two kinds of people, and I happen to belong to the one you don't talk about. Let's call 'em "My Faction" and "Your Faction".
And that "an intelligent, well-researched U2 fan would be able to get tickets to ANY show they wanted without having to send out a plea to the U2 community" - I strongly contest that. Just look at U2tours.com's forums.

You know, as soon as I get a pair of GA tickets, I'll be busy assembling my possee and trying to put my idea into action. I'll save the ticket debate for later.

I'll find out about that mosh pit thing in May when I see Greenday! I'm taking my nephews (14 and 16) for their birthday, and they're a little nervous because they've heard my sister relay the stories of previous events and how excited I can get. :p The 14 year old is more like me but his brother is kind of reserved, so he was like mosh pit? Really? :ohmy: I'm sure it'll be fun and definitely more my type of thing than the stadium seating (which I have done once at the Palace, which is where I'll be seeing U2, and it wasn't too bad) but I'll take what I can get!

Back
Top Bottom