Article about Vertigo tour and what's next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
U2: From joshua trees to palm trees
Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:42 PM EST

By Jonathan Cohen
NEW YORK (Billboard) - You can't blame U2's concert promoter for wondering just how big the band's Vertigo world tour could have been if it had simply kept on playing.

After all, not one ticket went unsold for the 131 shows on the trek, which began March 28, 2005, in San Diego and wrapped December 9 in front of 47,000 fans at Honolulu's Aloha Stadium.

Having been on the road in fits and starts since March 2005, U2 was clearly in a celebratory mood in Hawaii, as Bono danced onstage with a woman from the crowd during "Mysterious Ways" and even pulled a lucky guy out of the audience to play piano with the band during "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses." Whether waving the American flag high above his head amid opener "City of Blinding Lights" or writhing on the stage blindfolded for "Bullet the Blue Sky," the frontman was holding nothing back.

When all was said and done, Vertigo clocked in as the second-highest grossing tour of all time: $389 million from an astonishing audience of 4,619,021, second only to the Rolling Stones' concurrent A Bigger Bang trek, which may continue into 2007, and has grossed more.

"I sometimes try and visualize, what would be the universe?" promoter Arthur Fogel told Billboard. "In other words, what if you could just play and play and play? We sold over four-and-a-half million tickets on this tour, but we still underplayed basically everywhere we've gone."

Vertigo visited arenas in North America through late May 2005, then played stadiums in Europe throughout that summer. In the fall, it was back to North America for a run that included six shows at Toronto's Air Canada Center and six at New York's Madison Square Garden.

February and March took U2 to South America, which was originally to be followed by dates in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Those shows, however, were postponed until the fall due to a serious illness that struck within the immediate family of a band member. Details have never been publicly disclosed.

Getting Vertigo back on track was the final hurdle for Fogel. He and U2 manager Paul McGuinness say they're in contact all the time, even a year before the first fan has filed into a venue.

"As the record develops, the production develops," McGuinness said. "And depending on when the record is finished, we have an imaginary start date. That's subject to change, but the thinking about the production is always simultaneous with the making of the album."

The Vertigo stage set featured an ellipse-shaped extension that allowed band members to travel far into the general-admission crowd on the floor. It required 30 semi trucks to get from place to place, according to stage manager Rocko Reedy. On a good day, it took two-and-a-half hours to assemble, but that duration could nearly double depending on weather and venue configurations. After being loaded post-show onto the trucks, the stage was packed onto three 747s to travel to the next venue.

Early in the tour, U2 performed in front of seven see-through LED curtains, onto which images and patterns were projected. Later, a giant, super high-tech LED screen was used instead to form the backdrop.
"All the stuff we use is always serial number 001," Reedy said. "The first time they create this type of technology, it's U2 that uses it. Then everybody else under the sun goes out and gets it, so we just have to come up with something new."

That said, Vertigo has not been without its share of drama. The tour got off to a rocky start after a disastrous presale for paid members of u2.com in January 2005, when demand far exceeded the ticket allotment, prompting shut-out fans to blast management and even band members themselves on Internet forums.

"The demand was artificially stimulated because, quite honestly, a lot of ticket scalpers had joined u2.com planning to trade the tickets," McGuinness said. "It was clear very early those tickets would have a higher resale value than face value. We got caught by that, and we certainly underestimated the demand that would arise through the fan club. We did the best we could to meet it. But we'll be a little more careful next time."

Then, in the wake of the Asia-Pacific postponements, Fogel spent months dealing with insurance issues. "That process took a very long time and was very difficult in complex, but ultimately resulted favorably," he says. "That probably was a much greater challenge than the actual logistics of bringing the production and personnel back together.

"We had a few venue issues (rescheduling) in Japan, because originally we were playing outdoors at Yokohama Stadium," he added. "Given we were now in early December, the weather is such that we had to then look to go indoors. So, we had to basically refund 60,000 tickets and then resell for three shows at an arena."

But, to the surprise of nobody, the fans were still right there waiting to attend the makeup dates. "In Australia, even though we were postponing the shows by six months or so, almost no customers asked for a refund," McGuinness said. And indeed, the time off allowed U2 to rejigger the tour set list, as well as record "The Saints Are Coming" and the new song "Window in the Skies" with producer Rick Rubin. Both were released on the compilation "U218 Singles" in November.

While it may have been tempting to entertain adding still more shows to the itinerary after the fall leg, McGuinness said this was "a logical point to stop. We're obviously aware we could go on and on and on, but selling out (venues) is actually more important to us than the gross."

So where does the U2 go from here? The first destination is the recording studio, sometime in 2007, with an eye on releasing a new album by the end of the year. McGuinness predicted the next tour would then begin in 2008.

"All I can say is it will be completely different the next time, but it will be big," he said. "I think our audience expects very big productions. We've become good at doing that, and I think it is part of U2's reputation." The band may even experiment with commercially releasing select concerts as downloads shortly after their completion. "That's something we're exploring," McGuinness acknowledged. "In the future there will be more what we call 'band-to-fan activity."'

Reuters/Billboard

biff said:
"All I can say is it will be completely different the next time, but it will be big," he said. "I think our audience expects very big productions. We've become good at doing that, and I think it is part of U2's reputation." The band may even experiment with commercially releasing select concerts as downloads shortly after their completion. "That's something we're exploring," McGuinness acknowledged. "In the future there will be more what we call 'band-to-fan activity."'

:drool:

biff said:
"The band may even experiment with commercially releasing select concerts as downloads shortly after their completion. "That's something we're exploring," McGuinness acknowledged. "In the future there will be more what we call 'band-to-fan activity."'

Reuters/Billboard /QUOTE]

:up:

biff said:
The band may even experiment with commercially releasing select concerts as downloads shortly after their completion. "That's something we're exploring," McGuinness acknowledged. "In the future there will be more what we call 'band-to-fan activity."'

We've heard that one before. :|

biff said:

If that means Itunes, why not post the shows at U2.com instead so the non Itunes countries aren't discriminated? Or why not go the P. Jam route and release shows on CD - they could even donate the proceeds to charity if they wanted. (Or make the whole thing easier by officially allowing taping of shows)

I could see a very techy tour if they go big again, remember the stories how they talked about using that sound projection thingy early on on the last tour? Combine that with some state of the art video imagery...

Re: Re: Article about Vertigo tour and what's next

Axver said:

We've heard that one before. :|

Exactly. Weren't they going to do it for the Vertigo tour? :eyebrow:

U2girl said:

If that means Itunes, why not post the shows at U2.com instead so the non Itunes countries aren't discriminated? Or why not go the P. Jam route and release shows on CD - they could even donate the proceeds to charity if they wanted. (Or make the whole thing easier by officially allowing taping of shows)

:yes: Make the u2 membership really worth

Re: Re: Re: Article about Vertigo tour and what's next

IrishDawg said:

Yes, would be great if they did it. But if they were going to they need to release every show like most bands that do this do. I just dont think they will do it. They had the perfect oppurtunity on Vertigo with the whole Ipod deal and didnt do it.

I think this is the same interview that the 2007 album and 2008 information came from before. Same magazine, so it makes sense. Paul McGuinness saying it is encouraging. I'm still not holding my breath. Simply because its all contingent on how recording goes and U2 arent exactly speedy typically in the studio. Should be interesting.

Later, a giant, super high-tech LED screen was used instead to form the backdrop.
"All the stuff we use is always serial number 001," Reedy said. "The first time they create this type of technology, it's U2 that uses it. Then everybody else under the sun goes out and gets it, so we just have to come up with something new."
Euh POPmart ring a bell?

If they want to do something big make it bigger then POPmart, that's something.

The Vertigo screen had a much higher resolution than the Popmart screen.

If they did sell concerts, the price would be the issue. They could probably scalp fans for $10, but $5 would be a much nicer price.

thelaj said:
If they did sell concerts, the price would be the issue. They could probably scalp fans for $10, but $5 would be a much nicer price.

$5??? Most artists that do this charge at a minimum $10. Most are $15 to $20 per show. So if U2 charged $10 they wouldnt be scalping anything. They would be undercharging compared to lesser artists that do the same thing. IF they did it, my guess would be $15 per show. Think about it, you would be getting a 2 CD concert of the show you attended. That isnt worth $15?

U2girl said:

I could see a very techy tour if they go big again, remember the stories how they talked about using that sound projection thingy early on on the last tour? Combine that with some state of the art video imagery...

At the start of the Vertigo Tour, they were projecting the Human Rights Manifesto speech woman on clouds of fog. It didn't seem to go too well, and I don't remember when they abandoned it.

I wasn't a fan of the "light curtains" in the arenas either because you really needed to be looking at them directly from the front of the stage to get the full visual effect.

Mark

kramwest1 said:

At the start of the Vertigo Tour, they were projecting the Human Rights Manifesto speech woman on clouds of fog. It didn't seem to go too well, and I don't remember when they abandoned it.

:eyebrow: They were still using it on 2006

IrishDawg said:

U2: all talk, no walk.

If they're going for this Beatles-ish, melodic album, I can't quite see that turning into a big stage production.....

they could add a little bon 7ovi to the choruses.

ALL MY LIFE I'VE BEEN WAAAAAIIIITING....

i hope they don't :no:

U2Man said:

i hope they don't :no:

I kinda feel the same way about big productions, too. Nothing's going to top ZooTV and there's no point in trying. And having seen both stadium and arena gigs live, I much prefer the feel of the arena. What I really wish is to have been able to see the pre-Elevation club gigs. :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Article about Vertigo tour and what's next

J_NP said:

:eyebrow: They were still using it on 2006

They were still projecting the Human Rights speech on fog on 5th Leg shows?
I didn't see it in NZ or Honolulu (the speech was on the video screens, but I didn't see any smoke projecting going on).

Mark

I would pay more money for a live concert than an album, does noone feel the same way?

My favourite bit is:
New album 2007
Tour 2008

Just speculation, but McGuinness knows what he's talking about. I think it all comes down to whether the band likes their sessions...

Blue Room said:

$5??? Most artists that do this charge at a minimum $10. Most are $15 to $20 per show. So if U2 charged $10 they wouldnt be scalping anything. They would be undercharging compared to lesser artists that do the same thing. IF they did it, my guess would be $15 per show. Think about it, you would be getting a 2 CD concert of the show you attended. That isnt worth $15?

For some reason I wrote $ but meant £. £10 would be an okay price, but I would only be content if they still allowed bootlegging to occur. Then at least people could hear the show and decide if it was worth buying in SB quality.

coolian2 said:

Big productions > Little productions

Hefty hefty hefty wimpy wimpy wimpy.

I have to say if I was going drop big money for U2 in a small venue/small production like the Stones did. I wouldn't settle for Pride and Bullet.
Bring on Elvis Presley And America, Exit and Acrobat.

Otherwise, go BIG!

Mark

With the success of the Vertigo tour and Bomb album they are in postion for a huge/stadium tour if they want to go that route. The key is make the production huge and keep tickets prices the same. $50-$160. Stadium shows are a dying breed, but U2 is one the few bands who could pull it off.

thelaj said:
The Vertigo screen had a much higher resolution than the Popmart screen.

Higher resolution, my 32inch HDTV LCD tv also has a higher resolution that most plasma screens for sale.

Im talking about bigger size.

Back
Top Bottom