Are they starting the tour in Dublin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From atU2.com:

Last week in this space, I wondered about the scheduling of the European dates ... and how U2 would play Ireland in May (as has been rumored) and the UK a month later, which would be unusual. And now there's a contest on the Australian web site NineMSN, which is giving away a trip for two to Dublin with this statement: "Up-for-grabs is a trip for you and a friend to Dublin, with two tickets to see U2 live in concert as they kick off their 2005 World Tour in their own homeland, Ireland." So maybe they start in Ireland, go around Europe, and get back to the UK a month later. Works for me.

:confused: I thought McGuiness said they're starting in Miami. With all the rumors about Croke Park and Glastonbury, perhaps it would make sense to start in the UK/Ireland - their European legs of the tour always end there AFAIK.

*edit* OK this is what the site had to say "last week in this space" when talking about Glastonbury and Croke park rumors:

U2 tour news/rumors: You no doubt read the story that U2 is expected to headline the Glastonbury Festival in 2005, with the festival organizer all but announcing U2 as the headline act. Today comes news from Ireland's Sunday World newspaper that U2 will play Croke Park in Dublin in May 2005...which seems like a misprint or typo of some sort. U2's Dublin dates are always within a week or two of U.K. dates, not a full month apart. Seems like any Croke Park dates would be more likely for June/July, 2005, right near the Glastonbury date at the end of June -- and a regular @U2 reader/source in Ireland also tells that U2's Irish shows will be next June, not next May.

Big picture: If all this turns out to be true, it'll be a real change of pace from U2's touring history of the past 12 years. Starting with the Zoo TV tour and continuing through PopMart and Elevation, U2 has always hit Ireland and the U.K. in the month of August. But if they're playing the U.K./Ireland dates in June, it either means A) that the European leg is starting in the U.K./Ireland (which I doubt), or B) if the European leg is ending around this time, both the Euro and N. American legs will be a lot shorter than past tours have been. My guess is B.

Last edited:
Bono_man2002 and I have discussed this, and we think that if this is true, the tour won't begin in Dublin but the EUROPEAN leg will and perhaps the stadiums. I can't see them starting outside the USA.

Back
Top Bottom