Arcade Fire to open for U2 on 3 Canadian Dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cmb737 said:
Just curious, how many non canadiens had ever heard of Arcade Fire before the Vertigo Tour? I think it is interesting to think about over the years how many bands I have been exposed to because of U2.

Yep same here. I had heard of Arcade Fire but never got around to checking them out before the tour. Now I'm trying to find a way to make it to one of their shows... the boots I've been listening to are so great. :drool:

cmb737 said:
Just curious, how many non canadiens had ever heard of Arcade Fire before the Vertigo Tour? I think it is interesting to think about over the years how many bands I have been exposed to because of U2.

That being said, I am still holding out for Keane for Oakland, SLC, or Portland.

I hadn't heard of them until the Vertigo Tour. I'm just starting to get into them now. After Montreal is Boston, so I'm hoping they open for U2 December 4th. :drool:

neutral said:

Yep same here. I had heard of Arcade Fire but never got around to checking them out before the tour. Now I'm trying to find a way to make it to one of their shows... the boots I've been listening to are so great. :drool:

where did you get your boots from??

LUCKY CANADIANS!:hyper:

That's so awesome for them.
Too bad it looks like they won't be opening anywhere else on the third leg though. I would DIE to see them open for U2 in Philly.

Anyway, I just looked on their tour site. Does anyone know if they'll be scheduling any dates in or around Philadelphia this fall?

cmb737 said:

hadn't heard of them till Wake Up. glad i discovered them!

I heard about them in various music blogs right around the time the album came out. The I read about them at Pitchfork, a review I highly agreed with :wink: Subsequently bought Funeral and a few months later, their EP. I cannot wait for a new album from them. Def. my 2nd favorite band.

YAY! I heard this just this evening on my way home from work, that Arcade Fire is opening up for U2 in November here in Montreal ...i was totally excited!! :dance: ...November can't come fast enough now :hyper:

I can't remember if I bought it before or after U2's tour began, but I didn't hear about them through U2 or buy it because U2 are using their song. I just heard it was great from many people including people in B&C. And they were right. :drool:

I'm Canadian so I don't count.

But having seen them live, I can honestly say they are absolutely beyond incredible. I saw the 6th of 6 shows (in 6 nights!) and they were on fire - one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I had never heard of them before..

Perfect opener though, gives me the chills whenever I hear it..

U2 playing Wake up with Arcade Fire would be awesome..

this is so sucks. first they can't do the toronto shows cause they are playing in the US then and then they are touring western canada and not playing toronto. so basically through the fall they are playing every major city in canada except toronto. :sad: :scream:

i hope we get someone good.

do all of you even know what kind of music Arcade Fire is? I mean, sure Wake Up is great... But the rest :eyebrow:

Lancemc said:
Rebellion (Lies) is the best song of 2004.
The best Arcade Fire song? Yes... The best song in general? No...

No, Rebellion is a good song.. Wake Up is a good song.. But U2 had better bands supporting them this tour..

fredstab said:
arcade fire is THE BEST Supporting band for u2 in the last ten years (Maybe even with Killers and Interpol)
Popmart had dates with Oasis, Rage Against The Machine and Skunk Anansie... Vertigo had Franz Ferdinand, The Killers and Interpol... Zooropa even had Pearl Jam and the Pixies!

I'm sorry, I also like the Arcade Fire... But having seen all(!!) the bands I mentioned live, I really think U2 had better acts than the Arcade Fire...

Of course this is my opinion, just as you have yours...

Last edited:
yes, this is just your opinion, my opinion is that Killers, Interpol and Arcade Fire are Awesome. I also really like Franz Ferdinand, Rage And The Pixies (I saw most of them live), but Arcade Fire is Something special....

fredstab said:
yes, this is just your opinion, my opinion is that Killers, Interpol and Arcade Fire are Awesome. I also really like Franz Ferdinand, Rage And The Pixies (I saw most of them live), but Arcade Fire is Something special....
And that's your opinion.. No need to get angry :eyebrow:

You find Arcade Fire something special... From all the bands I named I find Interpol something special... Think of your blood pressure :wink:

And I don't have any problems with you finding Arcade Fire a great band (cause they are), but don't be naive by saying they are (and I quote) "THE BEST supporting band for u2 in the last ten years" :(

Last edited:
I'm not naive, just a big music lover, that saw many times U2, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Arcade Fire, Bjork, Pearl Jam, Stereophonics, Garbage, The Killers, Pixies, Rage live.

I had seen u2 live 25 times and more than 5 times (Arcade, Interpol, Killers, Stereophonics, Garbage, Pixies) i really think that North American Fans will be more happy with Arcade Fire as an opening band that most of other awesome opening bands.

But, yes, i respect your opinion.

That entire Montreal music scene is really pumping out some incredible albums these days. I saw Arcade Fire a few weeks ago at Hillside (with the Stars opening!!!, check out "Set Yourself on Fire" if you haven't yet)...absolutely incredible performance. If you haven't been witness to a live performance, download the Arcade Fire performance on Conan, keep an eye on the percussion section...wild!

Someone earlier mentioned Broken Social Scene, that would rock as well for the TO shows especially....

i'd headed to the sat. montreal show and am happy to hear that arcade fire is opening. i do, however, wonder how this changes the entire 'intro' to the show; on the first leg, 'wake up' was a big part of it.

fredstab said:
I'm not naive, just a big music lover, that saw many times U2, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Arcade Fire, Bjork, Pearl Jam, Stereophonics, Garbage, The Killers, Pixies, Rage live.

I had seen u2 live 25 times and more than 5 times (Arcade, Interpol, Killers, Stereophonics, Garbage, Pixies) i really think that North American Fans will be more happy with Arcade Fire as an opening band that most of other awesome opening bands.

But, yes, i respect your opinion.
Well, I guess I haven't seen U2 as many times as you have... But I'm a big music fan in general too, so I have seen all the others (multiple times) too...

I guess what I'm saying is that for you Arcade Fire is the bomb... For me, I love a lot of other bands aswell and that's why I just could not say something like "that band is the best support act ever!...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing The Arcade Fire in Ottawa as much as U2 now. I mean... U2 is one of the greatest live bands ever, that's a given, but The Arcade Fire are apparently an amazing live band as well. I read through a few posts from people on this forum saying that their show was the best they had seen in a long time. These guys aren't just "up-and-comers", they're making a name for themselves in their own right.

I'd say for pure anticipation this is one of the best openers U2 has ever put forward, and hands down the best on this tour.

Back
Top Bottom