Arcade Fire and U2 onstage together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
am i the only one who doesn't get a boner at the mention of the arcade fire?

i love wake up and all... but i dunno. twas not impressed when i saw 'em live on letterman... maybe they just had a bad performance that day... i'll investigate further... who wants to send me their album? huh? huh? anyone?

It's because you have to see them live in person. My jaw was on the ground and I nearly cried twice during the show. UNBELIEVEABLE performers and artists for sure. Let me know what you think of them after you see their live show up close and personal.

Canadiens1160 said:
I found AF pretty approchable after a listen or two. You'll play Wake Up for about a week, then discover Rebellion (Lies), and then later realize that Neighborhood 1 is the best song on the album.

Then you'll be hooked.
Neighborhood 1 :drool: :drool:

BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM

kakvox said:

Neighborhood 1 :drool: :drool:

BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM

Yeah, I'm with you... As great as "Wake Up" is, "Tunnels" (aka "Neighborhood #1") is my favourite. I so wanted to see it live and got to on Saturday. I cry when I think of it, it was so intense.

I didn't know much of their music (even though I have their album...too busy with U2 hee hee). But I LOVED them live at the Ottawa show. I really enjoyed Haiti and Tunnels and hmmm ya it was all great!!

U2 fans should like the controller.controller guitar in their EP, History -- as it has many Edge-like moments. Not as much in X-Amounts. Try the start of the song also called History. Plus, given the Talking Heads crack at AF...if you like Talking Heads, controller.controller is also worth a look.

Broken Social Scene are also home-based in Toronto, and less-palatable than Stars (but really, really good). But yeah -- don't even bother with Godspeed until you check out the others first.

Also might check out Metric (Toronto) and The Dears (Montreal). No Cities Left by The Dears should have some U2 Fan appeal.

Was kinda surprised that I couldn't hear Win's voice on Love Will Tear Us Apart. I could only hear Bono and would have liked to get a bit of everyone.

Last edited:
.....I'm bummed that we don't get to see them.

We get to see Mr. Gwen Stefani.....oh I mean Gavin Rossdale. How very 1995.....

blech....

PartyGirl43

Best songs are Neighborhood #1 and Lies -- and I now also really love Haiti since seeing it live at Montreal 1, with Regine and all her hand poses. What a beautiful song -- that repeating melody has been in my head for days.

I also loved yelling "we remember our parents, WELL WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THEM?" at the show. I also liked how all their images of snow and ice and darkness were so appropriate after tunnelling through the snow of the GA line all day. :) I've been listening to nothing but Arcade Fire on my Ipod since then. At least until I get U2 Montreal audio.

Last edited:
trashdaveed said:
U2 fans should like the controller.controller guitar in their EP, History -- as it has many Edge-like moments. Not as much in X-Amounts. Try the start of the song also called History. Plus, given the Talking Heads crack at AF...if you like Talking Heads, controller.controller is also worth a look.

Broken Social Scene are also home-based in Toronto, and less-palatable than Stars (but really, really good). But yeah -- don't even bother with Godspeed until you check out the others first.

Also might check out Metric (Toronto) and The Dears (Montreal). No Cities Left by The Dears should have some U2 Fan appeal.

Was kinda surprised that I couldn't hear Win's voice on Love Will Tear Us Apart. I could only hear Bono and would have liked to get a bit of everyone.

Metric played a free show at the bar here at Western, excellent show, although they were kind of assholes about the sound check...

but the point: great show, would be good openers for u2

~A.j.~

Love Won't Tear Us Apart

U2 live moment in HISTORY

been a few of them this tour, Im happy, Im complete, the tour can now end.

ok, fine, dont end.

(one more remark like that and you're off the tour)

:wink:

fandangamoq said:

Metric played a free show at the bar here at Western, excellent show, although they were kind of assholes about the sound check...

but the point: great show, would be good openers for u2

~A.j.~

Hey fandangamoq

You go to Western? We had some UWO student exec's at our shows recently in Ottawa at the Irish Village....would like to talk to them, do you know them? Or are you one of them? :)

G

Video of the performance. I can't take credit for this one, but since I live in Mtl I have my sources. (just add w)

ww.megaupload.com/?d=YM6U5XMN

I just wish they'd turned up the other mics a little. Not cuz I don't love Bono on lead vocal...just think it would have been cool to get some of the harmony and accordian in there.

Enjoy! Hopefully an mp3 will come along somewhere down the pipeline.

trashdaveed said:

Broken Social Scene are also home-based in Toronto, and less-palatable than Stars (but really, really good).

Some of the members are from Montreal are they not?...such as Amy Milan (from the Stars) and a few others? Quite the band when they get everyone together.

I agree 100%

Actually, the only band out of all listed in this thread I haven't seen live yet is The Dears....really disappointed I didn't get tix to that show.

If some don't know...Stars are playing at Lee's Palace in TO from Dec 16-19 and Broken Social Scene at the Kool Haus on Jan 20 and 21st. Unfortunately though every single one of these performances for both bands are completely sold out. (not surprising)

Miro said:

And Bono on his knees singing so low and un-U2 like.

That was one of the best parts about it. :drool: Bono was channelling Ian Curtis there.

I only went to the 1st Montreal show and Arcade Fire didn't impress me that much actualy... They have some good songs but still need to work a lot to become a real "good" band to me.
What made me laugh the most about them was to see one of their players jumping everywhere on the 26th at the back of the stage ! He was dopped - I'm sure of that ! Once he even felt on the ground and it took him 1 minute to stand up. Then he tried to kill the second singer with a flag ahahah. I have no idea who he was but I believe Arcade Fire would have been better without him.

that was so great and funny, quoting bono: "it's the land of the giants"

and i just read in the newspaper why bono was on his knees during the song... he was reading a paper with the lyrics

Back
Top Bottom