Anyone sat completely to one side of the stage? How was the view?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
I bough tickets to the lower level, exactly to the right of where Adam Clayton plays for the Miami show. I just wanted to know what others who have sat there have though of the view . Obviously it's close to the band but is there alot of staring at their backs? How bad do the light curtains block the view? Are the screens visable?

I've been to many U2 shows and I'm going to both Miami shows. The reason I ask is because I'm taking my sister, who's never been to a U2 show, and I want her to get the best experience possible. Below, is a pic of where we will seat in either show.

What do you all think is better, close but to the side or frontal but farther away?:huh:
seats-u2-3.jpg

Blue Room said:
They are good seats, the curtain lights aren't bad even when they are down. Have fun!

Blue Room,

You sat near that area? You would pick those seats over the others I have for the second show if you had never been to a U2 show?

salim117 said:

Blue Room,

You sat near that area? You would pick those seats over the others I have for the second show if you had never been to a U2 show?

Depends on where your other tickets are at. If you cant get in the ellipse I actually think the side stage lower lever (and even lower parts of the upper level) are the best seats in the house. You are close to the stage, full view, and you have a seat to relax in prior to the show. I dont think you will be disappointed in those seats. Based on that map the only seats that would be better (and not much better) are sections 105 and 106 (or same sections opposite side) and I'm sure those are the REALLY expensive tickets.

I've sat there three times this tour in three different venues, but on Edge's side...excellent and up close view! At the mid-price they are usually the best value seats in the house. Also you may be lucky and fall in the gap between the light curtains, so even when they are down you can see the band without the curtains covering them.

I sat in similar seats for San Diego & Boston 5/28 (although for both I was within the 1st 4 fours), so that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

I love side stage and now that I finally sat opposite the stage in DC2 and saw all of the light show I can safely say I much prefer to be side stage close to the band.

Pop Artist said:
I've sat there three times this tour in three different venues, but on Edge's side...excellent and up close view! At the mid-price they are usually the best value seats in the house. Also you may be lucky and fall in the gap between the light curtains, so even when they are down you can see the band without the curtains covering them.

Thanks for the input!
Are the video screens visable from that section?

I sat in the lower section to the side of the stage for the Vertigo Tour (just 2 weeks ago at MSG). I really enjoyed being that close to the stage but would probably prefer in the center (even if it was further back) just so I can take it all in. You are a little limited being on the side.

At MCI, I sat in the 2nd row about halfway up the oval on Adam's side. I prefer that spot to where you mentioned because Bono and Adam performed on the side of the oval a lot (about 15 feet from my seat), with a lot of eye contact. Plus, the audio is probably better as well further back. The screens were on the front part of the stage, and were not visible to the sections directly on the side. The curtains were not an issue there, I believe. I paid around $160 (face).

Both are fine but I’d go for the uppers myself. From the map it looks like you’re really far away but those are good seats with a full view of the stage and like some others have said the sound will probably be better. Pretty much anything parallel to front of the stage is going to be a great seat. These are arenas after all.

Gen. Chat said:
Both are fine but I’d go for the uppers myself. From the map it looks like you’re really far away but those are good seats with a full view of the stage and like some others have said the sound will probably be better. Pretty much anything parallel to front of the stage is going to be a great seat. These are arenas after all.

Right, I agree. But I've seen them live many times. My sister never has. I'm trying to think what I would have enjoyed more my first time; up close to the band but a limited view of the "show" or farther back but w/a full view!
She's no help cause she doesn't know which she'll like better either ! As you can see, we're a family of indecisive asses! :laugh:

I personally prefer a somewhat frontal view (not too far away) - I had the equivalent of 106 and I really liked that. You get more of a stereo audio effect. I have sat in the equivalent of 104 for another band, and I was not too impressed with the sound.

Last edited:
salim117 said:

Right, I agree. But I've seen them live many times. My sister never has. I'm trying to think what I would have enjoyed more my first time; up close to the band but a limited view of the "show" or farther back but w/a full view!
She's no help cause she doesn't know which she'll like better either ! As you can see, we're a family of indecisive asses! :laugh:

I think for the first show you should go back further and get the full effect of all the lights/screens etc. Novice fans won't be as chuffed as seasoned fans to be close to the band, but I've found that they are really impressed by the lightshow if they've never seen U2 before.

ntalwar said:
I personally prefer a somewhat frontal view (not too far away) - I had the equivalent of 106 and I really liked that. You get more of a stereo audio effect. I have sat in the equivalent of 104 for another band, and I was not too impressed with the sound.

U2's rig has speakers pointing down to the side sections. Sound isnt a problem from the sides of U2's stage.

I have sat beside the stage and upper at the opposite end. Its not even a close comparison for me. I would rather see the band up close to see their reactions with my own eyes versus seeing it on a screen and seeing the whole light show. :shrug:

this is a shot I took at MSG... it's not exactly where you are, but you can get an idea of what angle you might have using this as a reference point:
Picture081.jpg

Cool picture, but its not a great comparison for what salim is asking. MSG is shaped differently from most modern arenas, it has a bowl shape and no real upper deck, its all one deck. Side stage at a new arena is alot closer to the stage and upper deck is higher.

Bottom line is, its U2, you are in the building. I would recommend the side seats as that is my personal preference. Others prefer upper deck opposite. I guess it depends on what your sister is looking for in seeing U2. Is she going to see U2 because they are a great live band with energy OR is she going because she likes some songs and has heard they have a great stage set up and light show? If its the first one, the closer you are to the stage the better IMO.

u2wedge said:
this is a shot I took at MSG... it's not exactly where you are, but you can get an idea of what angle you might have using this as a reference point:
Picture081.jpg

Wow! From that pic, those seats on the side look like "die hard fan"(me) seats. I think she might enjoy the show better the second nigh from farther back.
I'll send her a link to this thread.

Blue Room said:
Cool picture, but its not a great comparison for what salim is asking. MSG is shaped differently from most modern arenas, it has a bowl shape and no real upper deck, its all one deck. Side stage at a new arena is alot closer to the stage and upper deck is higher.

Side stage at MSG was just as close as it was at Continental Arena and HP Pavilion (had pretty much the exact same seat/section in all 3!). The pic posted looks like it's from the 400s, which is the uppermost level and a separate deck from the other sections.

Pop Artist said:

Side stage at MSG was just as close as it was at Continental Arena and HP Pavilion (had pretty much the exact same seat/section in all 3!). The pic posted looks like it's from the 400s, which is the uppermost level and a separate deck from the other sections.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this. But MSG is a bowl, you can clearly see that even in the picture. The side section where this picture was taken is further away from the stage than a seat in a modern arena would be, simply because of the bowl shape (or oval) of the arena. Thats all I was saying. Upper deck like salim is talking about in Miami is not going to look quite like this picture. It will be higher for sure.

Blue Room said:

I'm not going to get into an argument over this. But MSG is a bowl, you can clearly see that even in the picture. The side section where this picture was taken is further away from the stage than a seat in a modern arena would be, simply because of the bowl shape (or oval) of the arena. Thats all I was saying. Upper deck like salim is talking about in Miami is not going to look quite like this picture. It will be higher for sure.

Actually, if you look at the pic I posted, the side seats I have are on the first level. The second set of seats for the second show are facing the stage, on the second level a bit back and on the edge's side.

Pop Artist said:

It's actually section 315, one section above the 200's same part of bowl. 400's were a level up from me in this pic.

Blue Room said:

Bottom line is, its U2, you are in the building. I would recommend the side seats as that is my personal preference. Others prefer upper deck opposite. I guess it depends on what your sister is looking for in seeing U2. Is she going to see U2 because they are a great live band with energy OR is she going because she likes some songs and has heard they have a great stage set up and light show? If its the first one, the closer you are to the stage the better IMO.

as I stated in my original post, this was just used as a point of reference, I never claimed it was representative of his seats.

tbird said:
section 69 at the garden and section 65 at the garden.. absolutely loved it. you are so close... you can see the view at my flickr acct

www.flickr.com/photos/tbird/

enjoy!

That's awesome tbird! Section 69 is pretty much exactly the same as my 104's! Those pics are great! Thanks!:bow:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ny-msg-CONCERT.gif

:scratch: seems rather oval shaped to me.

madison square garden is not a "bowl" per-say, despite it's round appearance from the outside.

it's an arena just like any other arena.

and there is a "real" upper deck... the 400 level.. the "blue heaven," if you will.

:hmm: didnt I say bowl (or oval) almost exactly in my post? YES, read it again. MSG is not an arena like any other. It has no real upper deck like just about any arena built after 1980 does.

Enjoy the show salim, sorry I commented.

Blue Room said:

:hmm: didnt I say bowl (or oval) almost exactly in my post? YES, read it again. MSG is not an arena like any other. It has no real upper deck like just about any arena built after 1980 does.

Enjoy the show salim, sorry I commented.

Thanks BR. I appreciate ur input.

Back
Top Bottom