Any experiences taking kids to stadiums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were a couple of mid teen girls right in front of me at Manchester, I was about 4 people deep from barrier in front of Edge. My friend actually ended up kissing one of them, but thats by the by. I can't say I saw any young kinds (10 and under) and the GA spots were mainly comprised of 20-40 year olds. It was a crush I have to say and I had a few bruises, but people were generally well tempered. If you were further back I guess it might be less intense.

One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of the people on the floor will be tall, and the stage is elevated higher than at an arena, so if the kids are small it might be difficult for them to see properly. Speaking of those two girls, they were smallish (5"6-5"8) and they had such difficulties seeing we ended up putting them on our shoulders for a short while. Won't be a problem bouncing to Streets though :D

When you have seats, kids won't be a problem. A friend of mine brought his 8 year-old-son and 10 year-old- daughter to one of the Amsterdam shows...
The GA-area might be a bit tricky. Besides, kids won't see a thing while in GA..

There is no way I would take a little kid into GA. I am tiny and unless I am right up the front at concerts, I can't see a thing! Not to mention the fact that you get crushed a lot more when you are heaps smaller than everyone else!

Being small, I usually go for seats. I would say that would be the best option for little kids aswell...

Speaking of those two girls, they were smallish (5"6-5"8) and they had such difficulties seeing we ended up putting them on our shoulders for a short while.

I have been to a couple of concerts (not U2) where guys have picked me up and put me on their shoulders so I could see! I thought it was so nice! If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have seen a thing! lol

I took my daughter to a GA arena show and it was okay, we were holding her, however we were in the ellipse and it was less crowded, so I am wondering what stadium floors are like. Thanks for the info. Lila64 and Tryan101 how are you guys going to deal with this?

I took my 8 year old daughter GA to the Madrid show beleive me they dont get any more intense than that!!
We stayed on the outside of the B stage at Edges side she had a great view, an amazing experience all the fans were so kind to her and she ended up backstage and watched 15 minutes from the side of the stage!!
Go for it and enjoy they have just as much right to be there as anyone else!!

Bono's Tart said:
I took my 8 year old daughter GA to the Madrid show beleive me they dont get any more intense than that!!
We stayed on the outside of the B stage at Edges side she had a great view, an amazing experience all the fans were so kind to her and she ended up backstage and watched 15 minutes from the side of the stage!!
Go for it and enjoy they have just as much right to be there as anyone else!!

Thanks, I agree. I think that people who don't have kids just don't understand how fun it is to experience things with your kids. No offense intended so nobody flare up at me. I was kidless at one time and probably felt as they do. However life's viewpoint changes when you have kidlets.:ohmy:

Thanks, I agree. I think that people who don't have kids just don't understand how fun it is to experience things with your kids. No offense intended so nobody flare up at me. I was kidless at one time and probably felt as they do. However life's viewpoint changes when you have kidlets.

Interesting view point. I am actually the opposite to you! Pre kids, I probably would have said "yeah, take 'em in, they'll be fine". Now that I have kids, my main priority is their safety. Hence the reason I wouldn't take them to a concert just to "have fun" with them. I would rather be the bad guy (in their eyes) and keep them safe than to be a "fun" mum and take them to a concert where there is a risk they will be crushed.

I'm not saying that my opinion is "right" - I just find it interesting to read different view points about things like this from other parents!

OceanGirl said:

Interesting view point. I am actually the opposite to you! Pre kids, I probably would have said "yeah, take 'em in, they'll be fine". Now that I have kids, my main priority is their safety. Hence the reason I wouldn't take them to a concert just to "have fun" with them. I would rather be the bad guy (in their eyes) and keep them safe than to be a "fun" mum and take them to a concert where there is a risk they will be crushed.

I'm not saying that my opinion is "right" - I just find it interesting to read different view points about things like this from other parents!

Don't worry I think everyone has a right to their opinion, I totally understand the safety aspect of it all and that will be my number one priority at the concert.

Am I the only guy in here..lol

A stadium floor is a lot different to the arena floor. The ellipse has a lot of space to move round, the same cannot be said for GA in a stadium.

The GA section is split into 2 sections, the first being an arc drawn around the B-stages, then the rest of the floor. The front section has a substantial amount of room to move around if you are near the back, but towards the front it gets intense. Perhaps if you are on the rail the fans might understand about your small people - but in the centre, there are too many people. Only the people immediately around you would know yo uhad kids, but they would be pushed and compressed by the others around them. Its unlikely they would be injured, but I have read some stories about adult fans being injured as the crowd surge forward.

Perhaps if you were towards the back of the first section, say between the B Stages you would have a good compromise of safety and viewpoint.

Give those kids an automatic rail spot! They deserve it for 1) having such cool parents and 2) for braving all the adults endure and then some. What an awesome wicked good time they will have!

faithingrace said:
I took my daughter to a GA arena show and it was okay, we were holding her, however we were in the ellipse and it was less crowded, so I am wondering what stadium floors are like. Thanks for the info. Lila64 and Tryan101 how are you guys going to deal with this?

We're planning on waiting in line early enough to get in the front GA section, then hanging out at the back. pictures indicate there is some room back there. plus, we bought 2 seats that we're keeping in case it gets too hairy in there and we need to get our littlest out. I'm also expecting the Hawaii crowd to be less intense than those mad Europeans. :rockon:

Carek1230 said:
Give those kids an automatic rail spot! They deserve it for 1) having such cool parents and 2) for braving all the adults endure and then some. What an awesome wicked good time they will have!

Automatic rail spot? No.

Ellipse automatic pass? Sure, why not.
:yes:

tryan101 said:

We're planning on waiting in line early enough to get in the front GA section, then hanging out at the back. pictures indicate there is some room back there. plus, we bought 2 seats that we're keeping in case it gets too hairy in there and we need to get our littlest out. I'm also expecting the Hawaii crowd to be less intense than those mad Europeans. :rockon:

good idea but that's expensive, I have toyed with the idea too. My hubby isn't as big of a U2 freak as I am so I guess he can always leave and pick me up later. It will be different from my Oakland disaster night since we will have a car and a hotel nearby. Oakland we were stranded and hostage of the train system. How early is early?

How old are your kids,because the last thing you want to hear in the middle of the set is,mum,i need to go to the toilet:crazy:

Although my brother was 14 when he came with me to ZooTv,he had a ball!

fly so high! said:
How old are your kids,because the last thing you want to hear in the middle of the set is,mum,i need to go to the toilet:crazy:

She is 6 and believe me I learned the hard way at a November Vertigo concert she had the stomach flu and was :barf:ing in the ellipse so we had to leave. This Hawaii concert is bound to be better...knock on wood.:wink:

fly so high! said:

ours are 10 and 12, but we've always taken them to shows. 5 so far on this tour. and usually its Dad that has to take more pee breaks than they do.
zxdrink.gif

faithingrace said:

How early is early?

probably mid-morning. I'm guessing noon is fine, but it is a Saturday so no one's working. that being said, Hawaii is kind of laid back, so I'm not thinking the majority will be getting there ridiculously early. I'll probably drive over early in the am to check it out, then go from there.

as a disclaimer, U2 should play "Mothers Of The Disapeared" at their stadium shows.

fly so high! said:

haha, I hardly consider 14 a kid since that's how old I was when I saw Zoo TV myself. (I went with no adult supervison either :wink: )

I think 9/10 is a good age for GA. :up:

Miroslava said:

Automatic rail spot? No.

Ellipse automatic pass? Sure, why not.
:yes:

Afraid you might not get as much Adam love if a kid is on the rail? Or that we are infringing on your space? :mad:
We got plenty of :love: on the rail with Adam
5.gif

And Carek - hold Miroslava back so I can get our railspot! :shifty: Besides, Maddy's a cutie and she didn't mind camping out all day in L.A. for the arena show. Paid off with front row rail, so... And she knew there was no leaving for bathroom or food breaks - she knew what to expect, and dealt with it beautifully.

As for the stadium, I've already told her that it's a different animal so to speak, and that she might not see anything too well in GA depending what spot we get. She might have to watch video screens or hope for some tall/strong man near us to hoist her on his shoulders. And worse comes to worse, if we/she gets crushed, we get out and go to the back of whatever part of the field we are in and just enjoy the music. We're there for the music, the last show, and to see all of you other crazy fans
bunny2.gif

So tryan - I think we should :shifty: exchange numbers at some point :shifty: I'm thinking of lining up early :shifty: Maybe we could take shifts. Maddy (she's 11 by the way) is ready to camp out again (early morning, not an overnight thing - I'm scared of that if it's just me and her).

Last stadium I show (sans child of course) was Dodger Stadium, 10/31/92. We were in the back of the field - think Bjork stood near us for a part of the show (she opened I believe). The field was seated too. I would rather be much closer...MUCH closer, you hear me :madwife:

Edited: I would have included a wink here, but apparently I was over my smiley limit for this post :madspit : : mad:
: wink:

Lila64 said:

And worse comes to worse, if we/she gets crushed, we get out and go to the back of whatever part of the field we are in and just enjoy the music. We're there for the music, the last show, and to see all of you other crazy fans
bunny2.gif

So tryan - I think we should :shifty: exchange numbers at some point :shifty: I'm thinking of lining up early :shifty:

I was thinking the same thing, I'll be taking my cell to Hawaii, maybe we can share info. Ditto for the back of the field thing.

It's got nothing to do with ME getting love or not. It's got to do with the fact that this is still a rock show.

Besides, do you know how many people would take advantage of such an automatic pass? Fair is fair and if the people in line that camped over night were to get to the rail only to find it populated by children and their guardians, I am not too sure that would go over so well. Besides, not sure how much the band would enjoy that night after night.

Have a few on me, :drunk: so probably should leave it at that. :shrug:

fair enough Miroslava - I was only teasing. I gots nothing but love for ya! :hug:

I didn't mean automatic pass per se. But perhaps a better chance if we camp out... All I'm hoping for...

Those of you bringing kids to the stadium shows...have a blast! Sarah and I wish we could be there with you. I had 2 GA's for MSG 11/22 and I wasn't going to bring Sarah (she is 13) because I wanted to have fun and totally enjoy my first GA experience without having to worry about her safety. I am rather small and I knew I would have trouble "protecting" her if there was too much pushing. Also, like someone else mentioned, I did not want to have to deal with bathroom breaks, or stomachaches, etc (Sarah once spent 1/2 of a Broadway show in the bathroom)! Anyhow, after much agonizing I followed my gut instinct and brought her to the show with me. The people around us were so kind and we had the BEST TIME of our lives! The fact that we shared that experience together made it extra special for both of us. One of these days, we MUST see a show with all of you cool people! Lila, I wish we could hang with you guys in Hawaii!
~Liz

well, I hope you win the lottery between now and Hawaii! Would love to see you - and what you said was very sweet! :hug:
And don't ever hesistate taking a kid to a show (well, maybe depending on the type of music). Maddy's first show was McCartney when she was 8 (seats of course). I didn't want her to ever be embarassed when someone would ask her what her first show was. I'm not revealing mine again :silent: How can you go wrong with an ex-Beatle? Just got to train them right. She's seen McCartney twice now, and U2 twice, so far. But I'm pretty sure she'll say our time on the rail was the best show ever - how can that be topped (I could only hope). At least we can share that special moment Liz, right? You more so, since Sarah was pulled up, but still, I was proud for ya! :hug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom