An Open Response Regarding The Current Vertigo Tour Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why do you have to be so negative about 90's U2 KUEF?

it really brings a guy's day down when he comes onto the board and have to read that stuff

Chizip said:

it really brings a guy's day down when he comes onto the board and have to read that stuff

Actually, he is being too positive. I come here for some negativity and bitching and all I get is his constant optimism :mad:

Chizip said:

hey i loved 80's 90's and now 00's U2, all i am saying is people who are for some reason going on about all this "they walk to the b stages the same time every show" isnt just new for this tour, and infact has happend during zoo, popmart and even elevation

to quote what some people call 00's U2 lovers "maybe there just so blind to not have relised that they are doing what they done during past tours" :wink:

Now, if people have really begun complaining about where Bono walks on the stage at certain times and whether he walks at the same place at the same time night after night....well....well.....well.....that is one thing I wouldn't waste my time on KUEF. That is indeed a ludicrous thing to do.

@U2Man
Don't worry, because that is really not interesting at all - maybe even less than, which clothes the four have (been) chosen for their performance. Because just a week later nobody else will remember it anymore ...

U2@NYC said:
U2 Die-hards like many of us in Interference will challenge the current setlist, complain about it and suggest changes, but that does not mean, in any way, that the U2 experience is not the best experience of them all.

Nicely said..

And can you imagine how boring the forum would be if everyone agreed.

Shaun Vox - God I really Like Wild Honey

Axver - Oh yes, especially on the third leg of elevation, November 02, 2001 / Philadelphia, PA at the first First Union Center 2123

Jick - :drool: :drool: :drool:

KUEFC09U2 said:
your wrong 90's U2 never done wrong, never cued nothing, and they were not TOO political honest

Yup, never EVER say anything against 90's U2 if you know what's good for you around here.

Bash the last 5 years of their career though...you're welcome with open arms.

(forgot to say in my previous post this tour has a very different atmosphere and mood to the touchy/lovey Elevation)

zwervers2 said:

I thought you said you were 20?:huh:
oh right so i cant love the albums from the 80's then?

i guess i cant love rattle and hum? and the countless bootlegs i have from that era either?

U2girl said:

Yup, never EVER say anything against 90's U2 if you know what's good for you around here.

Bash the last 5 years of their career though...you're welcome with open arms.

t's responses like these that remind me of arguements with my mom.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Many postings here unfortunately are not very grounded on facts, but individual taste or emotions - which is not a way it should be for such a sensible topic.
Like it or not:
1. U2 never have been a band changing "dramatically" their setlists - that in fact were nearly mostly (last exceptions during a few 80ies gigs) built upon one important thing: the current tour album, that builds a kind of frame for the shows and occupies a good percentage of the nightly sets. So, the most important thing is: You should really want to hear the new tunes, when you go to the gigs. If you don't, only this point might be enough to make you unhappy, an eternal critics-person or even might stress you that much, to go for another band.
2. The rest of the spots always has has a strong weight on the so called "Greatest Hits" or U2 classics - this being the fact especially in stadium tours, where a lot of people have to be entertained - and that IS the priority. So: If you don't like these tracks (too) this might be your second chance to turn to other music or at least not lament anymore on the "logic" of the setlists...
3. There might be different spots (at least since the mid 80ies) reserved for "obscure" tracks, as Bono himself calls them - tunes, that might be not familiar to everybody in the audience, but they (mostly) let fans' hearts beat faster. Now: If you only search for those tunes in the setlist - poor boy/girl, you never will smile at the light of sun again.

The thing with the current tour has only one "problem": It started out in the arenas with the band hacing a really strong tour album and performing a very fine selection of "Greatest Hits" - and at nearly a nightly basis playing around with openers and closers (LAPOE, COBL, Vertigo, Bad, '40'), plus further on dusting off tracks from their brilliant, sadly too often neglected back catalogue (An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Gloria, The Ocean ...).

This ideas have changed or even dispappered in the stadiums of Europe: From the elder, "obscure" tracks of the past only very few have survived (The Electric Co., Zoo Station - and Running To Stand Still, at least until the Amsterdam Shows). "Only" one tune came there (Miss Sarajewo) and the other spots were filled with more classics in adition to those, that already were in the setlist (IWF, ISHFWILF, AIWIY - at least until Munich, WOWY). There has been no live premiere of any track from the current album, plus: U2 play a lot more single nights in short frequences - and they have worked out a setlist, that - apart from the snippets - reflect a rather static setlist at the moment, even for U2's standards. the wish, other old "obscure" tunes might appear until now has not been realized, neither tracks from the '93-'97 period of ZOOROPA and POP.

Of course there are outstanding nights over here, too: The three Dublin shows - without a doubt the musical highlight of the whole European leg -, some elements at Amsterdam, especially the 2nd half of third night being easily as strong as the Croker ones and some multiple nights. On the single nights, the only good setlist surprise is the casual addition of Party Girl, the big minus the loss of Yahweh therefore - and, since Munich, another spot in the general setlist between ISHFWILF and COBL. Yeah, folks, the band can play shorter and less than the night before, too.

In the end, I can only declare for myself: I am very much interested in setlists; I like it, when the band decides to switch the setlists - and I do really love the current stadium setlist. U2 are playing for more than two hours a very strong and moving tracklist with a mixture of the elements I described above, covering (nearly) all phases of their career. It leaves me dancing, singing and celebrating - memories, I'll keep forever. Not more, not less. And when they decide to play a "special song", well, what more do I want. Hey, it is U2 out there and they are playing one of their strongest tours ever. So I wish to all of you for the forthcoming shows to enjoy it - and not to spend too much time thinking, what COULD BE - but, what there IS!

Did ZOOTVTourist really go? I really like his points...

U2Man said:

Nah, she is stuck in an Avatar she can't get out of :wink:

Just wondering do you find yourself making U2 related jokes all the time?

I often get asked 'have you found it yet' when looking for something...guess my reply:wink:

I do it way too often...

KUEFC09U2 said:
oh right so i cant love the albums from the 80's then?

i guess i cant love rattle and hum? and the countless bootlegs i have from that era either?

Maybe I misinterpreted the "I loved the 80's sentence" :wink:

Back
Top Bottom