Amsterdam III setlist partay part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

I also wonder if Please will ever be played. I suspect if it is, it won't be until the four Toronto shows or five NY ones, though.

i'm really hoping Please becomes a staple of the third leg

when U2 throws in songs every now and then they don't get the same type of production that the staples get

a full band please with the full effects of the curtains of lights would be really cool

zooholland said:

no only miss sarajevo...no rtst

Really? OK, I'll change u2-vertigo-tour.com's set. Most sites seemed to be reporting RTSS was played, so I added it to our set ...

Did Bullet have the usual snippets then?

zooholland said:
OOTS was very cool too. It was dedicated to herman brood, a well known artist in holland who commited suicide a few years ago (during the elevation tour). Miss sarejovo was instead of RTT and was dedicated to Theo van Gogh and Pim Fortuyn

And Original Of The Species was a full band version (according to Bono for the first time). Their backup keyboard player (Terry Lawless?) was on stage playing the electric piano.

Axver said:

Really? OK, I'll change u2-vertigo-tour.com's set. Most sites seemed to be reporting RTSS was played, so I added it to our set ...

Did Bullet have the usual snippets then?

Yep. English Civil War, Please and The Hands That Built America.
After ...Streets Bono sang a small bit of All You Need Is Love

Popmartijn said:

And Original Of The Species was a full band version (according to Bono for the first time). Their backup keyboard player (Terry Lawless?) was on stage playing the electric piano.

Full band? woooohoooooooooooo

oh that reminds me we got reports of an 8 minute Elevation...any reason for why it went on so long?

popmartijn could you hear what bono said after SYCMIOYO. When he walked back to the main stage he said something about bubbles or being horse...(he was so entousiastic that it almost seemed his head would explode

1stOne said:

I just knew this would happen! How long is it since Vertigox2 wasn't played?

Must have been in the states, can't remember....I hope zwervers will upload a BIIIG picture of that banner :wink: It has already made history!

Chizip said:

i'm really hoping Please becomes a staple of the third leg

when U2 throws in songs every now and then they don't get the same type of production that the staples get

a full band please with the full effects of the curtains of lights would be really cool

I would love for Please to be a staple - it's such a great song and worthy of the effects. I'd like to know where they were considering playing it at Chicago.

I also would also love some GONE!

LJT said:
Full band? woooohoooooooooooo

oh that reminds me we got reports of an 8 minute Elevation...any reason for why it went on so long?

:scratch:
Hmm, gotta think now, always difficult. :wink:

I think it was just because of the woo-hoo's going on forever. :)

Popmartijn said:

Yep. English Civil War, Please and The Hands That Built America.
After ...Streets Bono sang a small bit of All You Need Is Love

Ah, OK. When we still thought RTSS had been played, I was wondering if Bullet had segued into Miss Sarajevo instead of Hands.

By the way, what is English Civil War? Has it replaced When Johnny Comes Marching Home, or is that an alternate name?

zooholland said:
popmartijn could you hear what bono said after SYCMIOYO. When he walked back to the main stage he said something about bubbles or being horse...(he was so entousiastic that it almost seemed his head would explode

No, I couldn't. Will have to wait for the bootleg then. :)

Popmartijn said:

:scratch:
Hmm, gotta think now, always difficult. :wink:

I think it was just because of the woo-hoo's going on forever. :)

haha thanks gotta love enthusiastic wooohoooing:D

This sounds like one of the funnest U2 concerts i have heard off.

no RTSS? why do they always have to take out the best songs of the setlist to make room for new songs :madspit:

Chizip said:
no RTSS? why do they always have to take out the best songs of the setlist to make room for new songs :madspit:

Because they don't like you. :wink:

Axver said:
By the way, what is English Civil War? Has it replaced When Johnny Comes Marching Home, or is that an alternate name?

Yes, it's an alternate name (or Johnny... is). I know The Clash recorded it as English Civil War.

ENGLISH CIVIL WAR

(traditional; arranged by strummer/jones)

When johnny comes
Marching home again
He’s coming by bus or underground
A woman’s eye will shed a tear
To see his face so beaten in fear
An’ it was just around the corner in the english civil war

It was still at the stage of clubs and fists
When that well-known face got beaten to bits
Your face was blue in the light of the screen
As we watched the speech of an animal scream
The new party army was marching right over our heads

Alright

There you are, ha ha, I told you so
Says everybody that we know
But who hid a radio under the stairs
An’ who got caught out on their unawares?
When that new party army came marching right up the stairs

When johnny comes marching home again
Nobody understands it can happen again
The sun is shining an’ the kids are shouting loud
But you gotta know it’s shining through a crack in the cloud
And the shadows keep falling when johnny comes marching hom

what the FUCK?!?! Miss Sarajevo?!?!?!?! holy shit!!!! i wonder how the hell they did that and what it sounded like!!1

awesome!!!!!1111:drool: :drool: :wink: :drool: :drool:

Popmartijn said:

No, I couldn't. Will have to wait for the bootleg then. :)

shouldnt be a problem . 2 guys pretty much next to us had a backpack with a microphone sticking out sooo

So, how many song will we have for the DVD ?
What setlist do you imagine now that Amsterdam I, II and II are over ?

Popmartijn said:

Yes, it's an alternate name (or Johnny... is). I know The Clash recorded it as English Civil War.

ENGLISH CIVIL WAR

(traditional; arranged by strummer/jones)

When johnny comes
Marching home again
He’s coming by bus or underground
A woman’s eye will shed a tear
To see his face so beaten in fear
An’ it was just around the corner in the english civil war

It was still at the stage of clubs and fists
When that well-known face got beaten to bits
Your face was blue in the light of the screen
As we watched the speech of an animal scream
The new party army was marching right over our heads

Alright

There you are, ha ha, I told you so
Says everybody that we know
But who hid a radio under the stairs
An’ who got caught out on their unawares?
When that new party army came marching right up the stairs

When johnny comes marching home again
Nobody understands it can happen again
The sun is shining an’ the kids are shouting loud
But you gotta know it’s shining through a crack in the cloud
And the shadows keep falling when johnny comes marching hom

The song i believe is based on an old irish song which is actually far more depressing as its about a legless soldier sitting in the gutter begging...an immigrant to the States in the 1850s(around then i think) joined the army and became the bandmaster(i forget his name but he was apparently very famous in his day) and copied the old tune from Ireland to make Johnny Comes Marching Home.

Ah, I didn't know The Clash had recorded Johnny as English Civil War. Thanks for that, Marty! I just knew that it was a traditional American song from the US Civil War that had its origins in Ireland.

discothequeLP said:
what the FUCK?!?! Miss Sarajevo?!?!?!?! holy shit!!!! i wonder how the hell they did that and what it sounded like!!1

awesome!!!!!1111:drool: :drool: :wink: :drool: :drool:

Well.. it was truly amazing.. They started out with a piano intro which left us all wondering what was coming next, cos it didnt sound like Running to Stand Still.

Then bono started singing... "Is there a time"... and you could literally hear 25000 jaws dropping :)
It was kind of a mellow full band version without the Synths that are on the original...

Bono did sing the complete Pavarotti Aria as well... in Italian...

beautiful, beautiful... goosebumps everywhere!

...and Bono last "L'Amore" gave 50.000 people in de ArenA ...... I'm speechless.... You will hear it when the bootleg comes...

Back
Top Bottom