"Album of the Year"--Double Bill, Tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
When has a headline act in mainstream music chosen an opening act with more Grammy Nominations?
Both U2 and Kanye are up for Album of the Year and will share the stage tomorrow.
I think U2 gets mad props for its cross-cultural, cross-genre gesture of charisma, confidence, and courage in choosing the last opening act of this leg.
And the lyrics to Jesus Walks? The folks in the Goal is Soul should have a time with that.
Here's hopin' a hip-hop/gospel/rock collaboration with Kanye replaces Instant Karma as the surprise nugget in the remaining sets.
My bro' is calling for a Christmas song.
Let's see what happens.
See you on the message boards after St. Louis, my last show of this tour.
love,
Anu

Kanye West is overrated [and that is an understatement].

[Jon Brion :)drool: :drool: ) tried, but couldn't save his album... he should learn how to rap, seriously...]

Yikes!! I am so down with Kanye, so not down with ignorant U2 fans.
Kanye got how many Grammy nominations? Are you all posting here so much more wise than his peers who think he has it going on?
Back off MK--this is the second thread where I've posted kanye-sympathetic statements, and you've creeped me out with the ALL CAPS stuff about how pissed you will be. Can you think of how pissed Bono might be if he knew you were posting this stuff about his choice of an opening act?
Just don't come to St. Louis, and please think before you post.
This is the time of year for Peace, except for maybe on the Interference boards!!!

I'm not a big Kanye fan, but I'm actually excited to see him tomorrow. I've never really gone to a show of his genre of music before, and probably never would, so it'll be fun to have the chance to experience that along with U2.

If Kanye West gets booed in Portland I'm gonna be sick. I thin it's totally cool that u2 has him opening for them. Kanye is a different kind of rapper as far as the mainstreme rappers are concerend. He's not singing about Candy Shops or Ases like that, he's actually got positive thigs to say. If anyone plans on booing him they should just stay home. If you don't like it fine. Sit back and relax and wait for U2 to come on but booing or making lame assed commenst makes the person who's doing it look like an ass.

All of this talk lately has made me wonder how many people booed Public Enemy back on ZooTV because they were close-minded, and how many of those people regret it now.

Institute was terribly boring, in my opinion. I didn't boo; I just pretty much zoned out the whole time they were on. I would've loved having Kanye as an opener. Even if he's not someone I'd listen to regularly, he's attracting a lot of attention from critics and fans alike, which piques my curiosity. The Grammy nominations last week only makes the pairing of Kanye and U2 more interesting to me, too.

I'll be interested to hear reports from these last few shows, both about Kanye's performance and about the crowd's reaction and behavior.

I'll be VERY surprised if Kanye gets booed at any U2 concert. I think at the worst, he'll get ambivalence from the crowd if they don't care or don't like him. If he says anything akin to what he said on the telethon, he'll likely get a solid mixture of cheers and boos.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Portland.

I could not care less about Kanye West or Rap for the most part but that doesn't mean I am racist does it?

look at it this way.. i hate people who refuse to see opening act.. infact your ticket price goes towards that as well. it doesnt hurt to go and see it.. worse comes to worse..you dont like it and enjoy u2. Anyone who boo's him has no class and i think Bono and the rest of the band should let the crowd hear it if people boo for any opener.

Keane was awesome for U2 btw.. they are my pick for fav opener

Clawgrabber said:
horseshit.
kanye won't get booed.
anyone who thinks that doesn't know what their talking about.
and anyone who would boo kanye doesn't deserve to be at a U2 show.

Ignorant jackasses.

Actually, Kanye could get booed in Omaha for his disparaging commment about G. Bush post Katrina.

Nebraska is the only state that voted against Bill Clinton in both elections he was in and (duh) is extremely conservative. On pro-Bush sentiment alone Kanye could get a negative reaction and could very well get booed.

I don't think it will happen, but it could.

And sorry, but I disagree, a person that boos Kanye at a show does deserve to be at a U2 show, just like anybody else that bought a ticket. Is it polite or proper, no. But just as Kanye expressed his displeasure and opinion about President Bush, others could express thier opinion about Kanye during the performance.

Before anybody starts flaming away here, I'm not a Bush supporter; and don't have an opinion on Kanye. I'm just laying out some sentiment that some could feel, and they'd have decent, perhaps sophomoric logic: Kanye bashes Bush, we love Bush, we bash Kanye.

BWU2Buffs said:

Kanye bashes Bush, we love Bush, we bash Kanye.

And by your logic, you bash U2. Bash. Bash. Bash.

What happened to Peace on Earth? MLK/ Pride?

But actually, I don't think Kanye bashed Bush. Bush bashes Saddam and the like.

Kanye criticized Bush. And last time I checked, criticism is still a noble American craft (these boards being proof).

Kanye didn't bash the person Bush, but rather, his rather incompetent and inept behavior in response to an American disaster.

You all know, don't you, that Bono is black, anyway, in the sense that he's pretty much said that Irish are white n---ers.

And look at the funky music: Elevation, Mysterious Ways, Still Haven't Found....

That's SOUL MUSIC, folks.

And that's what Kanye raps about.

Soul. Black and white together.

Dig?

i think if the crowd is rude to kanye it would be hysterical if U2 gives a half ass and shorter show....that would show people not to be disrespectful. Now if kanye starts talking and u disagree and boo.. ok maybe.. but show the guy some respect...relax..watch the show

If Kanye says something politically radical at the show and subjects the audience to that, then yes, perhaps he should anticipate audience reaction whatever it happens to be. But to boo him w/o a catalyst on the night would be redonkulous and disrespectful.

I love rap and hip-hop and think Kanye is a terrific voice in that medium. He has recently recanted his Bush statements and admitted they weren't made in the best way or in the best manner when he made them.

Bono bashes world leaders often. Calling them wankers, and telling their people that the leader has greatly disappointed him. Now, how should France and Canada react to that? By booing, protesting and burning U2 CDs? No. We move past these things. I think there is a strong element of the fact that Kanye happens to be a rap artist that allows for more easiness with the severe comments against him though, or the perception of those comments being racism-based.

So, just back from the St. Louis show, and Kanye did exceptionally well. The crowd welcomed him; so I guess, those who didn't want him on the bill were respectful by coming to their seats late.
Lots of arm waving, hand slapping, really *live* and positive vibe in the room, including Kanye really working the walkway. No boos.
But, when Bono gave him mad props, said he was humbled and honored to have an artist of Kanye's caliber sharing the bill, the some people booed. To Bono's face, with Edge already beginning the chords to "i still haven't found . . . ."
So Bono's takin it to church, and the congregation is booing the preacherman.
Then, later, Bono sampled "Jesus Walks," not once, but twice--at the end of Beautiful Day; then later, at the end of Sunday Bloody Sunday.
I think he had an extra good, even funky feeling for the message he's making just by bringing him along.
Anu

gherman said:
BWU2Buffs

Are you from Colorado?

Yep, Boulder. My first U2 show was in the CU Events Center the night after Red Rocks.

And just to be clear -- someone earlier referred to the bashing logic being mine: to reiterate, I was just walking through the logic of someone that is very conservative and pro-Bush and how they might react to Kanye. I won't boo him tonight and hope others don't either - I was just pointing out that it could happen and why others might boo him as a message of support for Bush.

Back
Top Bottom