After 3 shows in a row...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
After three shows in a row this past week, a few things that stand about Vertigo tour:

1. Setlist is perfect. Sure there are songs i would have liked to hear, but to the fan going to one show, not knowing anything before hand - its perfect. I knew what was coming at each show (except for Bowie song at msg, and I still haven't at Nj2) and it didn't matter. The flow of the show is awesome. Bullet, elevation, and pride- all of which i wasn't particularly looking forward to hearing were amazing. Pride to streets has really been worked out and really great (still not bad to streets) but still very good. They know what they are doing- The segues between lapoe and sbs, and then sbs and bullet were excellent.

2. Where The Streets Have No Name is still the best live song ever.

3. Larry is very very skinny.

4. Although i was one for one on the ellipse lottery and got front row for NJ 2 (probably the best concert of my 21 times to see U2), I think the lottery (while well intentioned) is a terrible idea. It seemed very unfair to the people who wait all day, and I met several people who did even really care they were in the ellipse (and left early).

5. MSG, was great but would rank third behind both NJ shows. Both NJ shows were great. The second Vertigo for NJ 1 after 40 was awesome. The second vertigo instead of 40 at msg was not. The energy of the crowd was great at msg, but all the talk on this board about msg is so special and makes for the best show is untrue. I have seen U2 in several major cities (Miami, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, NJ, etc.) and MSG was cool but no "better". All U2 shows are great, and like I said I think both NJ shows were better than MSG.

6. Bad is a better closer than 40. I loved them both, and glad i got to see them both, but Bad with the 40 snippet is better. They both were really good, but Bad is nearly twice as long so it wins.

7. COBL- they have made a bleiever out of me. I still don't think its the best choice for an opener- but it was really cool- especially in the ellipse.

8. Bono looks ridiculous during Love and Peace. No other singer could pull that off (and he doesn't really either).

9. Bank Robbers - very cool, and loved their enthusiasm. they really added to the show. It was really cool to watch Edge smiling and laughing (not at them), while they played.

10. Kings of Leon. I think people jsut bash them without really giving them a chance. They were very good, and I look forward to seeing them again. They got better each night. They we soo much better than past opening acts (esp. smash mouth, 3rd eye blind, and the corrs) , and I enjoyed them.

11. U2 is still the best live band in the world. Even in their 40's and they still put on the greatest Rock show. I can't wait to see them again in the fall.

Great, positive post. I have to definitely agree with #6. I saw Bad close Chicago 4 (5/12) and it was easily the best ending I have ever seen (11 minutes long). I also liked Kings of Leon. I could do without a couple songs, but overall, impressed. Anyone know where I can get a copy of their setlist? As for the GA lottery, I also think it is kind of ridiculous. The ellipse should be filled with people who want to be there, not for someone who won the lottery. Just my 3 cents.

I'd like to chime in and give Kings of Leon their due. They're in a tough spot opening for a band such as U2. U2's one of those bands where a ton of their fans come in with a "screw the opener" mentality. It's a shame because I picked up their CD this weekend BECAUSE of seeing them in Philly. I caught a song of theirs at the Bonnaroo festival last year but hurried away to see another band. I was glad I caught 'em this time because their energy really impressed me.

KOL are great, the 2nd album is one of my faves of last year. Im going to see them in June and can't wait.

I was pleasantly surprised by KOL. I really didn't think they were bad.

I too loved the transition between SBS & BTBS--it comes out of nowhere and is very powerful!

I'm still sorting out my impressions of these two shows. But one aspect is very clear to me--I preferred the NJ audience.

Last edited:
clip51 said:
The crowd sucked at NJ1....

Are you saying that in a sarcastic way? :eyebrow:

If not, then, in my humble opinion, it was the loudest crowd that U2 played to on this tour. If you don't think so, then do you think U2 would have added OOTS and Vertigo -- both songs that were not on the setlist? Otherwise, we have a different understanding of what crowd energy means to a band playing live. :wink:

Last edited:
great post, jphelmet! I was at the Chicago 4 show, as well as Chicago 1 and 3, so I feel I have a fair right compare their setlists. COBL is a great song, not as great an opener- that should be reserved for Vertigo or All Because Of You (they better try that one out soon as opener cus I think Edge's guitar wailing to open a show would get everyone pumped.

KOL really suprised me. I was a basher, now turned halfway fan. The thing that kills me about their songs is that over half of the ones they played stopped abruptly, and that really sucks for people who don't know the tunes and are just getting into the sound...BAM songs over :mad:

back to U2...

i love the jump the band and production crew made to alter this tour from lasts to open the show up to more of the audience with the improved lighting and innovation of the light curtains (even though they block the vision at times, at least they arent permanent fixtures) Its a sweet modern throwback to the Popmart screen. Just wish there were some more Pop tunes to go along with it :wink:

But really, no complaints about the setlist from me.

Bad/ Norwegian Wood/ Sexual Healing/ 40 at Chicago 4 was out-of-my-mind insane, and a second-place follow up was 'strangers in the night' snippeted into With or Without You. I thought one of the greatest snippets i've heard from Bono was 'sexual healing' into mysterious ways from Elevation Tour, but Bad and sexual healing I never saw coming. Sure was glad to have the girlfriend there with me at that show- she was soooo happy to hear these songs as was I.

I had to go with the positive flow...what a great live act

Last edited:
i agree with ya about MSG's setlist being nothing to write home about... i was disapointed with it myself. but the crowd was by far the loudest of the three shows i had seen that week... philly 1, and both NJ shows. who knows... maybe it all depends on where you are... maybe certain places in the arena are louder than others... or maybe i was drunk. :shrug: who knows... but while the setlists may have been better at the other three shows last week, the crowd noise was amazing saturday. :shrug:

if it had been my first show/only show, it would have been by far the best show of the four... but it was hurt because i already knew the setlists, knew the "tricks" of the tour... i.e. pulling a kid out durring an cat dubh/into the heart, a touching spontaneous moment in philly, an lame ploy by the time MSG had come around...

I went to Chicago 2 and 4 (GA). I loved the magical opening of COBL the 9th - the light curtains, the confetti - felt like a big party was starting. I had more fun the 12th - I think Vertigo was a great opener followed by ABOY, Elevation, and Gloria. Has anyone heard the recording of Elevation from 5/12? It was SO much fun in person - I loved how they teased us before finally kicking in with the whole band :cool: It sounded great.
I agree with LPOE and Bono - I laughed @ him but it was still :cool: Larry indeed is really skinny as is Bono :ohmy:
I was praying to hear Gloria so that was great - too bad more people weren't into it :(
I got to know KOL before the show and like them - it was sad to hear maybe 20 people clapping for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom