Acoustics at the UC discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
How were all of your experiences with the sound at the United Center? Post where you sat and how it sounded here...

The Vancouver acoustics complaints had me a bit freaked about the sound at the UC. I had section 204 and could decipher what Bono was saying pretty easily tho there were some parts when he whispered that I couldn't make out. The bass and drums were thunderous. Edge's guitar a little more muted in comparison. Overall, i'd say average...not great but not going to complain.

Would like to know your experience from the floor, from the nosebleeds, behind the stage, everywhere!

section 102, row 19. Noticed a little echo during Kings of Leon and was concerned. No problems during U2. In fact, that is the absolute best I can remeber Bono's voice sounding in over 20 shows in the past 4 tours.

Section 204 is on the right side outer marker ... maybe that explains why Edge's guitar sounded "mute" to you. Were you close in Rows or further back ?? I was in the 300 level section
( left side middle of the arena ) 2nd Row ... and Edge's guitar was AWESOME !! Also heard Larry's pounding drumbeat and Adam's rockin' bass, with no problem ... The band's music was TERRIFIC !!
Although, I wish the song setlist would have changed and at
least, given all of us on opening night ... a different "never played yet" song ...

It's true though that Bono's voice did seem a little "hoarse" and hard to "understand" when he whispered ... and especially while performing "Vertigo" as Bono's vocals were not "on-cue" or maybe somehow "distracted" with the band's playing during that song ... but overall other than that ... his vocals sounded pretty GREAT !! I didn't see Bono "interacting" with the fans that were
"behind the stage" though ... as others have mentioned that Bono has given "alot of attention" to them in other cities. A shame for opening night "behind the stage" Chicago fans, indeed!

The lighting effects were GOOD !! For most of the show, I did NOT have any major problems seeing the band through those curtain lights ... but sometimes they were slightly "blinding" as well. I really wish those curtains would NOT have been used as much ... I would say overall that the show wasn't as GREAT or SPECTACULAR as I thought it would have been ... but it was NOT just plain average either ... I believe it was just a GOOD show in general ... being the first show for opening night would explain this theory of mine too ... I think by the 3rd or last show in Chicago ... is when the "surprises" will happen anyway, with Bono acknowledging behind the stage fans more or even the song setlist changing as well ...

i sat sect 334, row 3 - right side to the stage, 45 degree angle to the stage, even with the end of the ellipse

I felt the sound was typical of a rock show in the united center. was a little distorted, but not much. edge was clear to me, adam shook the floors, larry was well heard, sharp. the only thing i didnt like was that bono's talking was very echo-y, not singing, but when he talked after a song about this or that. I cant even say what it was he said cus i couldnt make it out.

pride and streets were at a very good tempo, compared to elevation and popmart

but seriously, i needed more COWBELL :wink:

Still, had a blast singing with the music. Great times

Here's hoping to 'until the end of the world' and 'crumbs' getting play this week!!!

I was on the floor, four back from the ellipse. I thought the sound was great, although about halfway through the show I did begin to hear the "helium effect" people had mentioned regarding Bono's voice. However I attribute this to my disintegrating hearing rather than from anything due to the acoustics in the building, or the sound mix.

I was in section 309 directly center from stage.

I was very very impressed with the sound. Significantly better than any Elevation shows there as well as many other concerts I have seen there such as Pearl Jam and Plant and Page.

The only song with some distortion from my seats was Zoo Station, the lyrics were hard to pick up.
In 2001 in nearly the same seats I couldn't even tell what Bono was saying during is speeches.

I only wish the decibels were higher!

yeah, if anything, i was suprised at how clear it was. i'm actually wondering if U2 turned the volume down a little, because my ears weren't even close to ringing after the show.

cowbellwillferrel.gif

that image is both disturbing and fascinating at the same time:wink:

as for the sound - I was in 122 and the sound was muddled for The Kings of Leon but good for U2 - at one point the bass actually had the floor shaking and you couldn't really hear what Bono was saying when he whispered

First of all, the more cowbell the better.

I did notice the "helium effect" too.

I am not old and my ears rang all day Sunday. I sat in Section 119, row 19. Pretty good seats.

Back
Top Bottom