A little surprised about reaction to stage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
All accounts early on were that U2 was going to have some 3000 light spectacle and push all sorts of envelopes with their stage setup. While it wasn't going to be ZOO TV, it was going to be something a bit more snappy than Elevation. From what I've read from rehearsal reviews is that it's an 'Elevation-lite' setup, even more austere than the previous tour. While the LED beads hanging down sound intriguing, are these the 3000 lights they were talking about? I'm sure it's all good, just a bit surprised at the lack of excitement about the stage.

I was expecing some more shock and awe reactions than I have heard.

Anyone else get the same impression?

Last edited:
I'm sure once you have 20,000 plus U2 nuts in the San Diego opener there will be very few complaints about the stage setting and all that. The buzz should be incredible.

Personally, I don't go to U2 shows for the light shows or even the stage setup... :ohmy: Those turn out to be the icing on the cake imo.

agreed - stage design is just an extra - If they wanted to go on with the house light up I'd be okay with it as long as they played

The elaborate stage production ("3000 lights") referred to in the initial post relates only to the European Stadium stage production, not the US arena stage production. The US got a stripped down stage to permit the sale of seats behind the stage.

On the other hand, Europe will receive the glitzy production in order to justify the higher prices (for example, European GA's were almost double the cost of US GA's).

U2log.com has a great write up with lots more details about the stage peripherals in case anyone is interested,,,

When I saw U2 in brooklyn, there was no light show, not catwalk, no smoke, no video screens, no text messaging during songs, .... and it was UNBELIEVABLE ... anything else is just icing on the cake. Yes it was really cool to see them during the elevation tour with the heart and the lights and such. But when it comes down to it its all about Larry, Edge, Bono, and Adam. I'm sure Vertigo will be just fine!!

njelevation06 said:
When I saw U2 in brooklyn, there was no light show, not catwalk, no smoke, no video screens, no text messaging during songs, .... and it was UNBELIEVABLE ... anything else is just icing on the cake. Yes it was really cool to see them during the elevation tour with the heart and the lights and such. But when it comes down to it its all about Larry, Edge, Bono, and Adam. I'm sure Vertigo will be just fine!!

That Brooklyn show had the most beautiful backdrop possible...the lights of lower Manhattan and two bridges lit up against the night sky!

I agree with this post. Bells and whistles are nice, but in the end what really matters most is that Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry are in the house!

(And what a coincidence--MTV Jammed is on MTV2 as I type this!)

Think about this...the Vertigo tour crew set up stage in Vancouver for several weeks and probably worked out all the kinks up there. Then they transport everything to LA, where there is a one-night only stay at the old LA sports forum. Why would they take all the time to set up every component for a rehearsal show, especially where the acoustics are bad enough as it is? Alot of unnecessary work if you ask me. It seems to me that this rehearsal show was a great PR move, to grab people's attention the way they always do. With all the time that was spent in Vancouver, why would everything hinge on a practice show in a location that they would never have a true show in?

U2 has prided themselves in the art of bringing a live show together- just check out the 'U2 Show' book. With that said, I would be suprised if the opener and all shows afterwords are really that close to the way the rehearsal show went (in regards to the sophistcated elements of the lighting and stage equipment goes).

Last edited:
I remember in an article from U2.com Bono said "the crew have never been as excited about the production."

U2girl said:
I remember in an article from U2.com Bono said "the crew have never been as excited about the production."

Key words to note: "Bono said".

*takes a grain of salt*

*** Remember and LED is a "Light Emitting Diode."

Each pixel of the screen is considered a light.

If you want to count the LEDs in this bead screen contraption, I am sure you will get at least 3000.

plus i have heard the stage is also lit this tour, were it was only the catwalk that had lights on it during the elevation tour, and not the actual stage

njelevation06 said:

brooklyn1.jpg

when you have a background like that, elaborate staging is unneccesary...

besides... i do believe i count at least 3000 lights in that setup :wink:

ouizy said:
*** Remember and LED is a "Light Emitting Diode."

Each pixel of the screen is considered a light.

If you want to count the LEDs in this bead screen contraption, I am sure you will get at least 3000.

Exactly. LEDs are small lights that can produce images all together, that's the whole point.

Back
Top Bottom