A few thoughts after watching the San Diego DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImOuttaControl

Refugee
I was sort of waiting to be able to "see" a show before I wanted to comment too much on the Vertigo Tour. I got my San Diego DVD in the mail this morning and it's great! Here are a few things that stood out the first time I watched.

The opening song--- I actually thought COBL came across better when you can see it than just on the audio bootlegs, although opening night it seems COBL was sort of lifeless.

The Boy songs--- Awesome. I still think that 3/4 of the crowd is clueless when U2 starts up these songs--3 relatively unknown songs to anybody who isn't a huge fan-- this isn't good for getting a good vibe from the crowd. I don't think the Boy songs should be dropped, but perhaps An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart would work better a little later in the set.

Love and Peace or Else-- The highlight for sure! For that very reason I'm not sure if it should open the show, even though before the tour I always said I thought it should open. Now that I've seen it on the boot, the best performanceshouldn't be first IMO.

Streets-- :yuck: My least favorite version of the song ever. I like the African style singing, but I cringe when I hear "Africa! Africa! Africa!" Aside from that it's still great to the ears, but the visuals that go along with it just suck IMO. Bring back the "blinding lights" and the red screens.

Zoo Station-- I love the song, but I have a feeling it won't be a regular song on the setlist. Even the hardcore fans who are right up front are barely groovin along.

A couple other random notes:

For the most part, I think the lighting and the LED curtains are awesome.

The Ellipse---- Get rid of the damn lottery system! It was really sad to watch this bootleg and see 1/2 of the people inside the ellipse just standing there, not dancing or anything. I should actually post a screenshot on here where you can easily see a group of about 5-6 people standing there, looking bored with their hands in their pockets when Bono is right in front of them! Turn it back to first come, first serve. Give people a wristband when they show up, tell them to go their merry way and come back to line up at 5 o'clock (something that definitely can't be removed and put back on to be sold by scalpers tho).

Did I miss something? How'd you get a DVD of the show? Thanks.

Jon

Klink said:
Did I miss something? How'd you get a DVD of the show? Thanks.

Jon

I bought it on e-bay, but apparently it is now also available on torrent sites (I'd personally rather pay 15 bucks than go through that hassle). Here's to hoping someone films the shows I'm at in Chicago!

ImOuttaControl said:

I bought it on e-bay, but apparently it is now also available on torrent sites (I'd personally rather pay 15 bucks than go through that hassle). Here's to hoping someone films the shows I'm at in Chicago!

Is it good quality? Thanks.

Jon

Klink said:

Is it good quality? Thanks.

Jon

Yeah I was actually impressed. The picture is extremely clear, even moreso than the Barcelona 8/8/01 bootleg from last tour, and the sound is great too. Very little shaking or anything...I've heard more people filmed this show, so I"m sure in time we'll see a multi-camera bootleg of this show available.

There was a thread earlier about a DVD tree that's starting up. Don't have the link at hand, though.

ImOuttaControl said:

The Ellipse---- Get rid of the damn lottery system! It was really sad to watch this bootleg and see 1/2 of the people inside the ellipse just standing there, not dancing or anything. I should actually post a screenshot on here where you can easily see a group of about 5-6 people standing there, looking bored with their hands in their pockets when Bono is right in front of them! Turn it back to first come, first serve. Give people a wristband when they show up, tell them to go their merry way and come back to line up at 5 o'clock (something that definitely can't be removed and put back on to be sold by scalpers tho).

Who made you the Ellipse Police? Not all people are screaming lunatics. Have you seen vids from Elevation shows? Plenty of evidence that plenty of people like to stand, be mellow, enjoy themselves, and listen to the music.

Last edited:
Re: Re: A few thoughts after watching the San Diego DVD

The OOTS said:

Who made you the Ellipse Police? Not all people are screaming lunatics. Have you seen vids from Elevation shows? Plenty of evidence that plenty of people like to stand, be mellow, enjoy themselves, and listen to the music.

...and weren't they the so-called 'chosen beautiful people'?:eyebrow:

yes, all the ugly people in the heart at slane were going crazy for the entire concert

but unfortunately i can barely watch that dvd because the people are so ugly

Last edited:
Re: Re: A few thoughts after watching the San Diego DVD

The OOTS said:

Good lord, a little touchy are we? Have I seen vids from the Elevation shows? Yes, I have about 30 bootlegs from the Elevation shows and every single one of them there's much much more energy inside the heart--because those are the die hard fans who waited patiently to get inside the heard.

The fact of the matter is that when there is a lottery to get into the Bomb Shelter, you're not getting just hardcore fans up front--which is what most bands want because they feed off the energy. Instead, you get very casual fans who somehow ended up with a GA ticket showing up to the show at the last second and getting up to the front. As evident in the San Diego DVD, there are many people who look like they don't even give a rats ass that they're in the shelter (hands in their pockets, standing there looking bored when Bono is literally within reaching distance). I never once have seen that in my Elevation Tour boots.

Aardvark747 said:
Im looking all over ebay for 1...with no success so far!!:sad:

Yeah thanks to the Gestapo like fans on here and U2.com who feel like they need to police this stuff, the listings were pulled almost immediately--even though it was evident the actual taper was selling the show (the dvd's were up on e-bay less than 24 hours after the concert). I'd personally much much rather shell out 15 bucks for a concert than have to deal with torrents, b & p, "trading trees" or whatever there might be out there.

Re: Re: Re: A few thoughts after watching the San Diego DVD

ImOuttaControl said:

Good lord, a little touchy are we? Have I seen vids from the Elevation shows? Yes, I have about 30 bootlegs from the Elevation shows and every single one of them there's much much more energy inside the heart--because those are the die hard fans who waited patiently to get inside the heard.

The fact of the matter is that when there is a lottery to get into the Bomb Shelter, you're not getting just hardcore fans up front--which is what most bands want because they feed off the energy. Instead, you get very casual fans who somehow ended up with a GA ticket showing up to the show at the last second and getting up to the front. As evident in the San Diego DVD, there are many people who look like they don't even give a rats ass that they're in the shelter (hands in their pockets, standing there looking bored when Bono is literally within reaching distance). I never once have seen that in my Elevation Tour boots.

I'm a hardcore U2 fan. I mostly just stand there and enjoy the experience. I don't have very much rhythm and I am not a strong advocator of the 'white people hippy arm dance.' I have nothing against people who do get crazy - whatever they want to do is cool with me. Personally, though, I mostly just chill and absorb the experience.

I've never been on the floor, though, always in the stands. So I suppose I might act differently if I were around a bunch of people going crazy. Mob mentality and al that. :wink:

-Miggy

Chizip said:
dont buy it

http://forum.interference.com/t123159.html

it will be spreading very shortly, i should be getting a copy soon and ill be able to send a few copies out to people
Yeah just watch that thread and the Trading Post forum (I'll probably start a thread for it there). Anyone who can take a few minutes of their time to mail out a blank DVD and bubble mailer should be able to get it here free.

ImOuttaControl said:

My point is you are generalizing....big time. I have seen many Elevation vids and there are fans who are standing still inside the heart.

With my experience inside the Ellipse, everyone was jumping, dancing, singing, and into it. I am sure there were areas inside that weren't as enthusiastic. But, it was the same inside the heart.

I've experienced both (heart and ellipse) and it was a very similar experience.

Last edited:

The fact of the matter is that when there is a lottery to get into the Bomb Shelter, you're not getting just hardcore fans up front--which is what most bands want because they feed off the energy. Instead, you get very casual fans who somehow ended up with a GA ticket showing up to the show at the last second and getting up to the front. As evident in the San Diego DVD, there are many people who look like they don't even give a rats ass that they're in the shelter (hands in their pockets, standing there looking bored when Bono is literally within reaching distance). I never once have seen that in my Elevation Tour boots. [/B]

You hit the nail on the head. Good post.
Lottery Sux.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A few thoughts after watching the San Diego DVD

The OOTS said:
With my experience inside the Ellipse, everyone was jumping, dancing, singing, and into it. I am sure there were areas inside that weren't as enthusiastic. But, it was the same inside the heart.

I didn't notice as I was too busy doing pushups and jumping jacks in the back with all the room I had.

Seriously, in San Diego there were people that were standing on the rail, leaning on it, without a person within 4 feet of them facing away from the stage talking on cell phones while the band was on the main stage. They were rawkin I am sure.

I don't think it sucks that every post in here eventually becomes a lottery sux post. Quite nice.

a very generous U2 fan will be B&Ping this for me- i am going to try to get my hands on a DVD burner, and hopefully will be able to return the favor...

thanks for the review- can't wait to see it!

couple of questions:
how is the video quality? shaky or steady?
is it shot from very far away? and if so, are there any close-ups?

thanks again!!
:wink:

Firstly this came as a shock to me that there was a DVD out there, must check on e-bay. Secondly, I can';t stand torrent and the trouble with it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A few thoughts after watching the San Diego DVD

The OOTS said:

My point is you are generalizing....big time. I have seen many Elevation vids and there are fans who are standing still inside the heart.

heh...the Live from Boston DVD comes immediately to mind, although I guess for a little different reason..

I'm Outta Control,
I couldn't agree more about the Gestapo ruining it for people who wish to purchase these things.
Idiots.

Well on one hand i like the lottery cos if i have to work on the day of my concert i don't know if i will even to get into the ellipse at least this gives me a chance...remeber not every U2 fan can line up early enough...and even the ones who come at 5pm at night can still be very hardcore fans.
Just because they are quiet...well everyone takes in a concert differently in my opinon...i admit i am one of those jumpy excited singing along type person...but thats me...hehe

Anyhoo i can't wait until my torrent is finished so i can this...:dance::drool:

I watched the dvd boot today, it's shot from the upper left if you are looking dead on center stage, mostly close-ups, pretty steady, decent quality--I'm pleased with it!

There do seem to be people in the ellipse just standing there not even paying any attention, not clapping, etc. Guess there's nothing anyone can do about it unless the policy is changed :shrug:

OMG :D Just finished the torrent while i slept (dont know why people think Bittorrent is a hassle :scratch: I absolutely love it its so easy..) and watch a small part of it (have to go to work...but Love and peace is sooooo AMAZING :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom