3rd leg opening act should be big!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techfire

Acrobat
If I remember correctly, during Joshue Tree 1st leg, they had a lesser known band (forget the name, tip of my tongue) and returned in the fall with the Pretenders (who was big at the time). Zoo TV started with the Pixies (not so big at the time) and returned in the fall with Public Enemy and Sugarcubes. Pop Mart had big openers throughout (Rage here in L.A.). Same story with Elevation, PJ Harvey opened 1st leg, who is some-what popular, but returned with No Doubt...big! So it would not surprise me to see a big act open the 3rd leg, like Audioslave or White Stripes, thoughts?

Last edited:
Does U2 even have a say as to whom opens for them? Isn't it all decided by the record company?

And they will only choose someone on the same label - or is that not correct?

HappyFatBono said:
Does U2 even have a say as to whom opens for them? Isn't it all decided by the record company?

And they will only choose someone on the same label - or is that not correct?

Not sure, I don't think No Doubt is on the same label as U2, but I could be wrong. From what I can remember, I think ND opened the 3rd leg because they were big fans, it seemed that way.

if they're not big i hope theyre at least really tall

ps - hey techy have you noticed who has the best record in the NL these days :wink:

Last edited:
techfire said:
If I remember correctly, during Joshue Tree 1st leg, they had a lesser known band (forget the name, tip of my tongue) and returned in the fall with the Pretenders (who was big at the time). Zoo TV started with the Pixies (not so big at the time) and returned in the fall with Public Enemy and Sugarcubes. Pop Mart had big openers throughout (Rage here in L.A.). Same story with Elevation, PJ Harvey opened 1st leg, who is some-what popular, but returned with No Doubt...big! So it would not surprise me to see a big act open the 3rd leg, like Audioslave or White Stripes, thoughts?

if buy big you mean popular and non-indie/alt bands you might be correct... the pixies were as huge as they ever were in '92- and still carried a ton of street cred on the indie music scene (for godssake surfer rosa, doolittle, come on pilgrim???)... i think lone justice opened on the jt tour, they were always a mediocre band... good does not equal big, and often quite the opposite is true... i think you are looking at big in mtv terms... for god's sake i had to sit through fun lovin' criminals... but apparently popular music=big=good acts in your mind... if we followed your logic we'd never see kol, ash, kaiser chiefs, athlete, razorlight, franz ferdinand, bravery, killers, snow patrol, etc.... all good and some excellenet bands but none "big"... now i'm off to see snowpatrol and embrace tonigt, and i am certain it will be an excellent show.... keep your fingers crossed and maybe you'll get shania twain or ashley simpson to open for them...

I believe the Pretenders were brought over for just a handful of stadium shows. P.E. also opened for stadium gigs. Unless U2 returns to stadiums in the U.S., I don't think there's any need to have a "big" opening act, especially since the 3rd leg is already sold out.

Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

hcmiller said:

if buy big you mean popular and non-indie/alt bands you might be correct... the pixies were as huge as they ever were in '92- and still carried a ton of street cred on the indie music scene (for godssake surfer rosa, doolittle, come on pilgrim???)... i think lone justice opened on the jt tour, they were always a mediocre band... good does not equal big, and often quite the opposite is true... i think you are looking at big in mtv terms... for god's sake i had to sit through fun lovin' criminals... but apparently popular music=big=good acts in your mind... if we followed your logic we'd never see kol, ash, kaiser chiefs, athlete, razorlight, franz ferdinand, bravery, killers, snow patrol, etc.... all good and some excellenet bands but none "big"... now i'm off to see snowpatrol and embrace tonigt, and i am certain it will be an excellent show.... keep your fingers crossed and maybe you'll get shania twain or ashley simpson to open for them...

FYI, it's "by", not "buy"...get it straight guy.
And by big, I mean been around a few years making good music on the radio, and can pack an arena on their own. I like all those bands also, but bringing along a No Doubt, Public Enemy or Rage is always a nice bonus. But if you want to be a smart ass then I can continue to catch some of your 2nd grade spelling, guy.

Chizip said:
if they're not big i hope theyre at least really tall

ps - hey techy have you noticed who has the best record in the NL these days :wink:

Damn, I was trying to avoid you. OK, OK, the D hit a slump, but come on, give us some home games. Not counting yesterday, they had only played 5 games at home. Who makes up this schedule, how do you play in L.A. then fly to Milwaukee, 3 games is less than 48 hours, then fly to San Diego for 2 more then fly back out to Colorado for 3 more...WTF!! I'll give you credit, the Cards have bounced back, especially Mulder. I'll look for you on the 9th...don't go anywhere.

Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

hcmiller said:
if we followed your logic we'd never see kol, ash, kaiser chiefs, athlete, razorlight, franz ferdinand, bravery, killers, snow patrol, etc.... all good and some excellenet bands but none "big"...

I don't know if it's this way in the rest of the country, but those bands are huge here in the Bay Area. The Killers played two sold out gigs (on the same night) this week at the Fillmore. The tickets were being scalped for around $100 a pop. GA Floor Snow Patrol tix are going for a buttload. KOL sold out their gig on 4/8 (the night before SJ1) and people were paying $50 for a ticket to that. I can't even imagine what Franz Ferdinand went for, or is going to go for here in S.F.

I don't think he was saying big in terms of MTV. It seemed like he meant "big" in terms of hot up-and-comers.

...this just in...
"..." has replaced the comma...
...and the period...
...and the question mark...
...rumor has it the exclamation point is next...
...more news as we get it...

Last edited:
tkramer said:
...this just in...
"..." has replaced the comma...
...and the period...
...and the question mark...
...rumor has it the exclamation point is next...
...more news as we get it...

OHMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big doesn't mean good. at all.

europe, for the most part, is getting some great opening acts.

Franz is opening for Coldplay in August and September to my knowledge. Maybe even into October. I'd be surprised to see them opening for U2 as well, especially with them working on a new record.

all i ask is that they use several opening acts throughout the 3rd leg as opposed to one as they are doing on the 1st leg. i'm going to 5 shows, so i'd like a little variety.

knox said:

:drool: :drool:

Might ruin their "indie cred", though.

Arcade Fire cannot and will not stay 'indie', they're just too damn good. I think they will be HUGE within a few months, it's already starting. Anyone who listens to Funeral is blown away. It's a masterpiece, and it's their first record, which is umbelievable.

If I were to see Arcade Fire and U2 on the same night I think that would just be too much for me :drool:

i wrote this in another thread, but i saw razorlight tonight and they were damn good

the whole time i was thinking why couldnt they have opened for U2 in the US instead of kings of crap

The killers snow patrol garbage

any of these are acceptable.

I didnt really jive with kings of leon too much

Back
Top Bottom