3rd leg opening act should be big!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Opening Acts

I saw Zoo TV outside broadcast in Madison, WI in September 1992. Public Enemy and Big Audio Dynamite opened. B.A.D. had just released their album "The Globe" and the single, "Rush," so they were pretty well received. PE sounded horrible, but were entertaining nonetheless, with Flava Flav bouncing around the stage in his all white jumpsuit with bright orange, giant clock hanging around his neck.

As far as the 3rd Leg Vertigo opener, I would love to see any of the bands that are lined up for their European summer leg, i.e. Snow Patrol, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Ash, Killers.

Back in 2001, I thought PJ Harvey sucked when she opened for the Elevation Tour.

Re: Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

techfire said:

FYI, it's "by", not "buy"...get it straight guy.
And by big, I mean been around a few years making good music on the radio, and can pack an arena on their own. I like all those bands also, but bringing along a No Doubt, Public Enemy or Rage is always a nice bonus. But if you want to be a smart ass then I can continue to catch some of your 2nd grade spelling, guy.
fark off, i was at work and typed the whole damn post in about 90 seconds... a typo is the best you got? nice ad hominem... "music on the radio"? surely you jest... corporate radio is trash and, with the exception of satellite radio, is dead... now go back to rockin' out to that new kelly clarkson song...

Last edited:
tkramer said:
...this just in...
"..." has replaced the comma...
...and the period...
...and the question mark...
...rumor has it the exclamation point is next...
...more news as we get it...
it did for me jackass... again, i was at work and busy

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Opening Acts

OffAxis said:

Just my opinion I guess. I thought that Stereophonics were quite mediocre at MSG.

PJ Harvey was great in Albany on the 1st leg. Then again I'm a huge fan of "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea." BTW, this was not one of U2s best shows. Bono had the flu.

Last edited:
You should really give Stereophonics another chance. Start by listening to Performance and Cocktails then go to Just Enough Education to Perform then go to their new album, Language Sex Violence Other? I don't really like their album You Gotta Go There to Come Back. But the other three I'm a fan of. Their first album is good too, but I don't own it so I won't recommend it. They are just straight up rock'n'roll. Maybe they sucked that night in MSG, but I saw them at Bogart's (Cincinnati) in 2002 and it was awesome. I am seeing them tonight actually at Great American Music Hall (San Francisco). They're huge in the UK. Try out a few songs, I think you'll be pleased.

My only complaint about the band is the rotating cast. The singer/guitarist and bassist have stayed the same, but they just got a new drummer and they usually just have a second guitarist tour with them. U2's stability has spoiled me! :D

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:shrug: if they get an opener i like, i'll watch... if they don't, i'll spend the time to get acquainted with my nearest beer stand. doesn't bother me either way... i didn't buy the tickets to see the opener...

exactly. gin and tonic is my favorite opener.:wink:

the good thing is u2's opening acts are varied. i have seen several i really liked (rage, primus, pixies) and several that sucked horribly (third eye blind, smash mouth, no doubt). there are never going to please everyone and its not a big deal if you don't like them, although it is added bonus when you get a good one. for me i'm really like kings of leon- so i quite happy with my first leg shows, but even if i had to sit through franz ferdinand, or keane it would change that I was there to see U2.

OffAxis said:
You should really give Stereophonics another chance. Start by listening to Performance and Cocktails then go to Just Enough Education to Perform then go to their new album, Language Sex Violence Other? I don't really like their album You Gotta Go There to Come Back. But the other three I'm a fan of. Their first album is good too, but I don't own it so I won't recommend it. They are just straight up rock'n'roll. Maybe they sucked that night in MSG, but I saw them at Bogart's (Cincinnati) in 2002 and it was awesome. I am seeing them tonight actually at Great American Music Hall (San Francisco). They're huge in the UK. Try out a few songs, I think you'll be pleased.

My only complaint about the band is the rotating cast. The singer/guitarist and bassist have stayed the same, but they just got a new drummer and they usually just have a second guitarist tour with them. U2's stability has spoiled me! :D

Bogart's, boy that brings back memories, I used to live in Cincinnati.

I actually had an album by Stereophonics, can't remember which. Never listened to it all the way through.

Hope you enjoy the SF show though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

hcmiller said:

fark off, i was at work and typed the whole damn post in about 90 seconds... a typo is the best you got? nice ad hominem... "music on the radio"? surely you jest... corporate radio is trash and, with the exception of satellite radio, is dead... now go back to rockin' out to that new kelly clarkson song...

Dude, I guess you must be the coolest jerk off on the planet, since you seem to think that indie music makes you cool. Come on guy, get real, I like some not all Indie music and I also like the Audioslaves, White Stripes and Coldplays of the world. If you're so cool because you listen to Indie, what the hell are you doing in a U2 forum guy. U2 is the most over-played, radio friendly band around, and they are a BIG band, so slow your role guy before you respond to me.

^^^^^^^^

stop it guys. fighting over the internet is as cool as picking your nose in public.

inmyplace13 said:
Franz is opening for Coldplay in August and September to my knowledge. Maybe even into October. I'd be surprised to see them opening for U2 as well, especially with them working on a new record.

They're opening for Coldplay? Sweet! I'm going to try to get tix for the August 6th show. Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

techfire said:

Dude, I guess you must be the coolest jerk off on the planet, since you seem to think that indie music makes you cool. Come on guy, get real, I like some not all Indie music and I also like the Audioslaves, White Stripes and Coldplays of the world. If you're so cool because you listen to Indie, what the hell are you doing in a U2 forum guy. U2 is the most over-played, radio friendly band around, and they are a BIG band, so slow your role guy before you respond to me.

wow, again with the tangential arguments...

i have been listening to u2 since they were a "punk" band... that's what we thought they were... i bought october when i was 11... just have never been able to shake the habit... that is why i wander over here...

to paraphrase you, i am cool because i simply am, not what i listen to... however it has been my experience that people who listen to drivel (regardless of genre) are most likely simpletons and "uncool"...

your "big bands" opening for u2, the mothership of big bands, has never been a good idea... these big bands, while laughing all the way to the bank, tend to perform best for their own fans and often do not appreciate the headlining talents fans ambivalence towards them...

quick, who won american idol?
see, i knew you'd know

keep your fingers crossed for that u2/mariah carey ticket...

this will mark the end of my comments regarding this topic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

hcmiller said:

i have been listening to u2 since they were a "punk" band... that's what we thought they were... i bought october when i was 11... just have never been able to shake the habit... that is why i wander over here...

to paraphrase you, i am cool because i simply am, not what i listen to... however it has been my experience that people who listen to drivel (regardless of genre) are most likely simpletons and "uncool"...

your "big bands" opening for u2, the mothership of big bands, has never been a good idea... these big bands, while laughing all the way to the bank, tend to perform best for their own fans and often do not appreciate the headlining talents fans ambivalence towards them...

see, i knew you'd know

Guy, stop giving me your U2 resume. You seem to know many things about popular bands, the way they feel about true fans, how their attitudes change when they hit main stream, are you a groupie or something? FYI, you seem to know who won American Idol since you know who Kelly Clarkson is (read your previous post). What a jerk off!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

hcmiller said:

see, i knew you'd know

what?

Here's my idea ... NO OPENING BAND! Just start the show earlier and play a bit longer.

Maybe have a clown or a magician go out and entertain the crowd for a few minutes before the show starts.

ok ok .. so that will never happen in my lifetime. If Oasis could swallow their pride a bit, I think they should open for U2 on the third leg. While they are a huge stadium act in the UK, they have fallen off the face of the earth in the U.S. They're a club level band on this side of the ocean. (except in NY,Toronto and Vancouver)

retro said:

Maybe have a clown or a magician go out and entertain the crowd for a few minutes before the show starts.

I heard that Bozo the Clown was opening the 3rd leg gigs in Chicago.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd leg opening act should be big!

techfire said:

Guy, stop giving me your U2 resume.

you asked me why i was here and i told you

You seem to know many things about popular bands, the way they feel about true fans, how their attitudes change when they hit main stream, are you a groupie or something?

i have some background in the music/radio business...

again, nice retort

Last edited:
Wow this place is full of argumentative half wits notwithstanding those who happen to be not so inclined as to burn a hole, but not so big, that I may never find, what I need to find, I feel like Morrissey now:|

Back
Top Bottom