3rd leg next month - still no opening act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NumbMacphisto said:
If you haven't seen an Arcade Fire show, it blows the rest of those bands away. There is no comparison, and I am a big fan of those other three.
Infact.. I have seen Arcade Fire live.. But Interpol and Franz Ferdinand too... I really prefer Interpol and Franz Ferdinand... They are way better... Specially Interpol!

NumbMacphisto said:

They have about 4 percussionists besides the drummer just going insane. If you look up pictures of their performance at Coachella this year, two guys are halfway up the side scaffolding! Their energy is phenomenal.

4 percussionists, cool, kinda like Blue Man Group? Blue Man Group would be a cool opening act for the Vegas show.
Kidding aside, I do like Wake Up from AF, although that's the only song I've heard from them, I'll have to buy CD.

Neilz said:

I'm sorry... But some dates in Europe had Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, The Killers... All better than Arcade Fire...

In what universe?

First, Arcade Fire are better, in my opinion then any act that opened for U2 on the first or second leg. They have a much more unique sound. Sure, the Killers and Interpol are good, but they are just repackaged versions of other bands (Strokes, etc. in the case of Interpol). But I like both of them.

If you think Arcade Fire have only one good song, I highly disagree with you. Every song on Funeral is strong. Neighborhood 3 (Power Out) really rocks. Coldplay could take a lesson there on how to write melodic rock.

Also, the comparison to Polyphonic Spree is unfounded. Sure, they are both indie bands. But, PS sounds like the reincarnation of The Age of Aquarius, while AF is really forging new territory. Of course, these are only my opinions.

But really, I think AF have the potential to be a very, very big band.

Arcade Fire really only have one good song.... and we've all heard it. the rest of the cd leaves a lot to be desired.

scottyT said:
Arcade Fire really only have one good song.... and we've all heard it. the rest of the cd leaves a lot to be desired.

I acctually feel Wake Up, while a FANTASTIC song, is only about in the middle of the album in terms of greatness.

I feel all the Neighborhood songs and Rebellion (Lies) are all easily better than Wake Up.

If anyone would like to get a taste of an Arcade Fire concert, http://www.fabchannel.com/ has two recent Arcade Fire concerts available for streaming on-demand. Windows Media Player required. I couldn't get the 3/10/05 Melkweg concert to play today, but the 5/10/05 Live in Paradiso concert does work. I was quite impressed. I would disagree that "Wake Up" is the only good song they play. Too bad they're only opening up for U2 in Canada.

The latest crazy rumour is that PEARL JAM will be opening for a couple of the Toronto shows, since they'll be in the area anyways. That would be, bar none, the best concert ever.

PopFly said:
The latest crazy rumour is that PEARL JAM will be opening for a couple of the Toronto shows, since they'll be in the area anyways. That would be, bar none, the best concert ever.

Isn't Arcade Fire the opener already? Hopefully PJ opens Vegas, or somewhere on the west coast.

PopFly said:

They are opening for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh. I don't see that being too far fetch.

zoopop said:

They are opening for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh. I don't see that being too far fetch.

Oooh, how about MSG!!!

Anyway, speaking of the Rolling Stones, they have a pretty eclectic array of opening acts:

Black Eyed Peas : Boston
Maroon 5 : Hartford, Detroit, Moncton
The Tragically Hip : Moncton
Les Trois Accords : Ottawa, Moncton
Our Lady Peace : Ottawa, Moncton
Buddy Guy : Milwaukee, St Paul
Wilco : Atlanta
Joss Stone : Miami, Tampa, Charlotte
Pearl Jam : Pittsburgh
John Mayer Trio : Washington, Philadelphia
Beck : Toronto, Columbus, Hershey
Trey Anastasio : Charlottesville and Duke University
Metallica : San Francisco
Jason Mraz : Las Vegas, Fresno, Salt Lake City, Denver, Glendale/Phoenix

Hopefully the opening act for MSG will be more along the lines of Wilco/Beck/Pearl Jam than Black Eyed Pead/Maroon 5!

Sorry for the temporary thread-jack!

Back
Top Bottom