3 Level Video Screen? - Stage Diagrams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fullautoreverse

War Child
Hey all.

After reading reviews about tonights rehearsal and a prop listed as a '3 level video screen' - can anyone shed some light on what that might actually look like? is it motorised like the elevation screen was (moving up and down into the floor)...?

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the LED lights hanging at the back...would the show be better viewed say at the tip of the oval than from the front of the stage? ala popmart screen...

Anyone know how to use photoshop or a paint program to give us extremly jealous viewers some insight?

:wink:

Last edited:
Heh, it's kind of pointless to make someone draw it, to be honest........people will take pics at Monday's show and such.........

I have questions:

What about the 3.000 lights that were going to light up the stage?

What about the gigantic screens?

What about the 1.000.000 €/$ the show will cost per night??

Now it is said the stage will be simple!??!?! Have we have been tricked?

I want a what is called "show"!!! I don't want to see a simple stage with a band in it! If so i prefer to stay at home listening to it because it would be the same. Just to remember i paid 64 € for the ticket.

I really hope the stage in Europe leg will be very different from NA leg...

Squire said:
I have questions:

I want a what is called "show"!!! I don't want to see a simple stage with a band in it! If so i prefer to stay at home listening to it because it would be the same. Just to remember i paid 64 € for the ticket.

1) They might not have set up all of the lighting for the rehearsal gig.

2) The screens are definitely large....

3) Nobody ever said the show would cost that much.......it was just some paper that made that estimate.....and it's a really bad estimate as it would leave the band barely making a profit on most shows.....

4) They never said the stage would be like ZooTV....

5) Most people like the stripped down atmosphere of this compared to the spectacle of PopMart and whatnot......to each his own, but I go to concerts to hear live music and see a band, not for the special effects....

6) The European stage setup will have to be larger due to the stadiums...

hehe - i cant believe i even suggested using paint...

anyone trying to draw diagrams right now in paint...please stop...im sorry...

lol

Yeah everyone has there opinions and values...

But my opinion is: I don't like stripped down concerts simple because i payed 64 € to see a "show". And for me going to a concert only to see a band playing music, if so i prefer to stay at home listening to there music and watching videos and pictures because for me the sensation will be the same.

Just to mention what i really like. For me the best concert ever made was Pulse from Pink Floyd (although Zoo TV is really close imo). Those laser lights, explosions the gigantic stage... that is what i call a SHOW.

Squire said:
Yeah everyone has there opinions and values...

But my opinion is: I don't like stripped down concerts simple because i payed 64 € to see a "show". And for me going to a concert only to see a band playing music, if so i prefer to stay at home listening to there music and watching videos and pictures because for me the sensation will be the same.

Just to mention what i really like. For me the best concert ever made was Pulse from Pink Floyd (although Zoo TV is really close imo). Those laser lights, explosions the gigantic stage... that is what i call a SHOW.

I would sell your ticket then if you have one. Whats with all the Pink Floyd comparisons by people lately?? That band is NOTHING like U2 in any way. I dont get it.

Blue Room, i'm not comparing Pink Floyd with U2. There's no comparison, anyway. Two completely different bands.

What i was refering was stereotype of concert. Zoo Tv and The Division Bell Tour are the master examples of a SHOW. That's the only thing i was saying.

And if i see in fact that the concert is gonna be like Elevation Tour(simple concert) i would definately think of selling the ticket, since i gave 64 € wich in my oppinion doesnt deserve the price just to see a simple concert.

Squire said:
I have questions:

Squire, have you ever been to a U2 show before? Did you see the Elevation tour footage? That was a 'stripped down' stage set up too, and I would bet that the majority of people attending shows would tell you that it blew them away. Simple doesn't necessarily mean bad. Don't be so fickle.

Squire said:
... i gave 64 € wich in my oppinion doesnt deserve the price just to see a simple concert.

if you think any u2 concert is a "simple concert" sell your ticket.

the greatest live band in the world could play on a completely bare stage, and it would still be incredible. u2's shows are the best concerts, and it has nothing to do with the visuals.

Im a U2 fan for about 10 years, and i say it right now that Elevation Tour in my opinion was CRAP! Bono's voice was AWFULL (like it has been since Pop), and the concert concept was too simple. I just didn't like it.

If we see Zoo TV or even Pop Mart and then go see Elevation Tour we will notice a really big difference. And what annoyies me is that one of U2's trademark was to be ahead of. And right now that is simply over.

Yeah, simple doesn't mean bad necessarily. But coming from a band that "always" rises expectations about theirselves... well i would call it bad. A simple concert isn't a surprise right?

However i didn't say ANY U2 concert is a simple concert (be carefull with your interpretations please). Zoo TV and Pop Mart are good examples.

I listen music since 6 years old, and i have 20 right now, so i know pretty much the meaning of music for me. If i am going to a concert, i want to have sensations that i naver had while listening their music in studio. And in Elevation Tour it didnt create me those sensations. It was to damn simplistic. Seeing them playing live was the same as hearing some live concerts in MP3.
Sure they are an energetic band in stage... so what? For me that's not enough. A SHOW it's much more than a simple energetic attitude.

And of course, let's be serious.
We, here, are great fans from U2, and we love their music, but sometimes we have to criticize.
I payed 64 €, there were people that gave the double i gave. it's a simple concert... with "not so high" costs. So why the hell the tickets prices are so high??!!
It seems U2 are not as saints as some people try to picture.
Oh money, money, money...
but it's not just U2... it's ALL bands.

We will see how is the stage. If i don't like it, i will sell the ticket by 500 € at least (and it wouldnt be that hard...). Yeah it seems i love money as much as U2 love.

I saw numerous Springsteen shows last tour and was blown away by each and every one of them. Funny though...not one laser beam and not one explosion. The band did the talking and all the stage had was a a simple dark backdrop. Total sensory assaults detract from what the band's playing. Let your passion for your music do the talking. Elevation was perfect.

I'll use a Floyd reference and ask if anyone really needed a flying pig to enjoy a Pink Floyd concert.

Squire said:
Im a U2 fan for about 10 years, and i say it right now that Elevation Tour in my opinion was CRAP! Bono's voice was AWFULL (like it has been since Pop), and the concert concept was too simple. I just didn't like it.

If we see Zoo TV or even Pop Mart and then go see Elevation Tour we will notice a really big difference. And what annoyies me is that one of U2's trademark was to be ahead of. And right now that is simply over.

Yeah, simple doesn't mean bad necessarily. But coming from a band that "always" rises expectations about theirselves... well i would call it bad. A simple concert isn't a surprise right?

However i didn't say ANY U2 concert is a simple concert (be carefull with your interpretations please). Zoo TV and Pop Mart are good examples.

I listen music since 6 years old, and i have 20 right now, so i know pretty much the meaning of music for me. If i am going to a concert, i want to have sensations that i naver had while listening their music in studio. And in Elevation Tour it didnt create me those sensations. It was to damn simplistic. Seeing them playing live was the same as hearing some live concerts in MP3.
Sure they are an energetic band in stage... so what? For me that's not enough. A SHOW it's much more than a simple energetic attitude.

And of course, let's be serious.
We, here, are great fans from U2, and we love their music, but sometimes we have to criticize.
I payed 64 €, there were people that gave the double i gave. it's a simple concert... with "not so high" costs. So why the hell the tickets prices are so high??!!
It seems U2 are not as saints as some people try to picture.
Oh money, money, money...
but it's not just U2... it's ALL bands.

We will see how is the stage. If i don't like it, i will sell the ticket by 500 € at least (and it wouldnt be that hard...). Yeah it seems i love money as much as U2 love.
well if thats what it takes to get you excited then i would seriously consider selling your ticket asap, U2 arent just about "massive stage shows" U2 are simply about the music, before ZooTv Or Popmart what did they do that was so stunning? nothing really, just 4 guys 1 stage and the truth, and to many thats all it needs

Squire said:
I have questions:

seeing a band you love live is always better, regardless of how complicated the stage setup is. ALthough i must admit i'd be a little dissapointed if this tour was real laid back like the elevation tour...

If you want massive effects, go to a lighting and visuals show. Personally, I don't care for those. If I had my way, U2 would play on an empty stage, the only colouring would be Streets' red backdrop. But really, it's all needless. I attend a concert to hear MUSIC. If I wanted to watch fancy lights, I'd go drive around town around Christmastime when people have the lights out on their houses.

everybody, including U2, has their preferences on whether they'd like to see / put on a massive spectacle.

Bono, The Edge, Larry and Adam...two guitars, a set of drums and a microphone...amps. Throw in 15-20,000 fanatics and you have all you need for a fantastic experience...so scalp your tix, whoever would pay 500 euros for them would enjoy the show a lot more than you are going to.

Axver said:
If you want massive effects, go to a lighting and visuals show. Personally, I don't care for those. If I had my way, U2 would play on an empty stage, the only colouring would be Streets' red backdrop. But really, it's all needless. I attend a concert to hear MUSIC. If I wanted to watch fancy lights, I'd go drive around town around Christmastime when people have the lights out on their houses.

Here is where we disagree... i don't attend a concert ONLY to hear music. if i want to hear music, i will put an album in my cd player...

The last sentence just shows that you don't have a clue of what i have been talking about... Go see Zoo TV or Pulse from Pink Floyd and you will know what i have been taking about (if you saw, in fact, both concerts, wich i sincerely doubt deducting from your sentence).
Comparing a concert with great visual component with christmas light just shows your argument....

Im sure im gonna have fun with those 500 € more than that guy will. I will garantee you that.
but let's see the stage first

Last edited:
Squire said:

Here is where we disagree... i don't attend a concert ONLY to hear music. if i want to hear music, i will put an album in my cd player...

The last sentence just shows that you don't have a clue of what i have been talking about... Go see Zoo TV or Pulse from Pink Floyd and you will know what i have been taking about (if you saw, in fact, both concerts, wich i sincerely doubt deducting from your sentence).
Comparing a concert with great visual component with christmas light just shows your argument....

Im sure im gonna have fun with those 500 € more than that guy will. I will garantee you that.
but let's see the stage first

Major concert setups don't interest me in the slightest. Maybe it's because of my vision. It's 6/36, or 20/120 in Imperial measurement. When you have vision like that, you become very aware that what's on the stage can be spectacular and wonderful, but ultimately unnecessary when it comes down to the real reason you're there - the music and the emotion in that. In any case, I find the technology to be restrictive and ZooTV and Popmart to be U2's two worst tours as the technological overload restricted the variance within songs and their order.

But at the end of the day, hearing music live cannot be equated to playing the bootleg in your living room. The point of going to a concert is to hear a band. They can add whatever stage and lights and visuals they like, but the real purpose for attending is to hear U2 perform. As I said, if you want to see a lovely display of lighting technology, go to a light and visual show or watch some fireworks.

[Note: obvious spoilers below]

I was one of the fortunate ones to make into the rehearsal, but unfortunately an hour after it started. The stage is *extremely* clean- it's like a big raft in the arena. No part of the stage extends to the ceiling. I never sat behind the stage for Elevation, and was on the side for this show, but it seems like those in the back should have a clear view of the back of the band.

The LED lights are trippy. The best way I can describe them is to imagine those beads people hang in door ways. It's very much like that. They are rolled up above the stage and roll down for certain songs. There are maybe eight of them. At first I thought they were a little cheesy- my first look at them was when they were just glowing red for Bullet. But what's cool is that these beads are capable of reproducing images (like PopMart) and when they were showing live shots of the band members, I was blown away. IMHO, there should have been more shots like these. I guess the coolness factor of these beads depends on what's on them. Anyway, these beads really emphasize the openness of the stage- people in the back see the same image as people in the front but can also see through the strings of beads. I sound like a broken record, but I really mean to emphasize the openness of the design. All lights are suspended from above. And like with Elevation, there are screens on the front/back/sides, but these are color, not B&W.

Anyway, people expecting Zoo TV need to tame their expectations. This show is slightly more sophisticated than Elevation, but by no means a technological extravaganza. The stage itself, like Elevation, has some really cool lighting effects.

Also, the inside of the stage seems to be much bigger than the heart of Elevation.

And if you're still reading, you obviously don't mind spoilers. So I just wanted to make a comment about the mini-set of Zoo Station-Fly-Vertigo. The band FUCKING killed. The place went apeshit for Zoo Station when Bono emerged from this fog doing his fly strut. (A quick side note: this fog came after this declaration of human rights thing. IMHO, this part was weak and felt too forced into the show) Anyway, I was too young for ZooTv and to see this song come out of nowhere was unbelievable. Then they launch into The Fly, and it's like I've been taken back to 1992 to show I never attended. (BTW, the beads are now showing the random words and such from ZooTv. I guess poeple in back see the words backwards?) Just when you thought the show couldn't get any better, they play the most kick-ass scorching rendition of Vertigo. Again, since I missed the beginning of the show, I was surprised it was played this late. Just when the song seems to come to an end, Bono tells the boys to pick it back up as he throws in some Stories For Boys before bringing the song to a screeching halt with the "yeah, yeah, yeah's." Fucking amazing.

The rest of the set list seemed strange- like U2 on shuffle. But who cares? What an amazing show. Fuck.

Last edited:
You think Zoo TV and Pop Mart are the worst U2 tours??

Thanks for stating that, because that's no surprise for me. That really shows that im talking with a person who doesnt really knows what means a concept concert.
You just made me save some words.

Bono doing a speech about human rights... i think he is going too far.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the human rights thing is not a speech by Bono, but a prerecorded recital of the document. That why it seemed so strange. It comes on and the band go off stage for like 5-10 minutes. It felt like listening to one of those boring museum presentations or something. I have a feeling that they will either modify or dump this thing at some point in the tour.

Squire said:

Sorry for saying this, especially since you carry the username of a great guitar player, but this statement is completely moronic.
ESPECIALLY in the case of U2. Seeing them perform live is an incredible, religious experience which you can't get in your room with your cd player. Above all else, performances of the songs are different and much better live then on the album. I'm sorry you don't get that.

Squire said:
You think Zoo TV and Pop Mart are the worst U2 tours??

Thanks for stating that, because that's no surprise for me. That really shows that im talking with a person who doesnt really knows what means a concept concert.
You just made me save some words.

Bono doing a speech about human rights... i think he is going too far.

I never said concept concerts are bad. I love ZooTV and Popmart. But the rest of U2's tours have been much better. Less restrictions placed on the music by needless overuse of technology. From the rehearsal, it sounds like the band have got it just right - awesome to hear about the lighting they are using this time!

And while there is still inequality, violence, and hate in this world, you can't talk too much about basic human rights and justice.

Do you really think that quoting human rights you are gonna change the world?? This is what i call Show Off. Just give him the nobel prize for god sake so that he can shut up with all that crap.

There are things that he and his wife are doing that really deserves respect and are an example for sure. But i'm sick of his speeches about about third world debt, etc during concerts. Just SING!

Djerdep, yeah i like John Squire too.
i'm sorry too that you think it's kind of religious thing... because i hate religion. Now can you get that?

Last edited:
passanis said:
[Note: obvious spoilers below]

I was one of the fortunate ones to make into the rehearsal, but unfortunately an hour after it started. The stage is *extremely* clean- it's like a big raft in the arena. No part of the stage extends to the ceiling. I never sat behind the stage for Elevation, and was on the side for this show, but it seems like those in the back should have a clear view of the back of the band.

The LED lights are trippy. The best way I can describe them is to imagine those beads people hang in door ways. It's very much like that. They are rolled up above the stage and roll down for certain songs. There are maybe eight of them. At first I thought they were a little cheesy- my first look at them was when they were just glowing red for Bullet. But what's cool is that these beads are capable of reproducing images (like PopMart) and when they were showing live shots of the band members, I was blown away. IMHO, there should have been more shots like these. I guess the coolness factor of these beads depends on what's on them. Anyway, these beads really emphasize the openness of the stage- people in the back see the same image as people in the front but can also see through the strings of beads. I sound like a broken record, but I really mean to emphasize the openness of the design. All lights are suspended from above. And like with Elevation, there are screens on the front/back/sides, but these are color, not B&W.

Anyway, people expecting Zoo TV need to tame their expectations. This show is slightly more sophisticated than Elevation, but by no means a technological extravaganza. The stage itself, like Elevation, has some really cool lighting effects.

Also, the inside of the stage seems to be much bigger than the heart of Elevation.

And if you're still reading, you obviously don't mind spoilers. So I just wanted to make a comment about the mini-set of Zoo Station-Fly-Vertigo. The band FUCKING killed. The place went apeshit for Zoo Station when Bono emerged from this fog doing his fly strut. (A quick side note: this fog came after this declaration of human rights thing. IMHO, this part was weak and felt too forced into the show) Anyway, I was too young for ZooTv and to see this song come out of nowhere was unbelievable. Then they launch into The Fly, and it's like I've been taken back to 1992 to show I never attended. (BTW, the beads are now showing the random words and such from ZooTv. I guess poeple in back see the words backwards?) Just when you thought the show couldn't get any better, they play the most kick-ass scorching rendition of Vertigo. Again, since I missed the beginning of the show, I was surprised it was played this late. Just when the song seems to come to an end, Bono tells the boys to pick it back up as he throws in some Stories For Boys before bringing the song to a screeching halt with the "yeah, yeah, yeah's." Fucking amazing.

The rest of the set list seemed strange- like U2 on shuffle. But who cares? What an amazing show. Fuck.

Thank you very much passanis, it only took 24 hours and a lot of interference to get the answer I was looking for.

Whats even more amazing is that passanis has only been a registered user for 2 months and made 3 posts. Keep it real newbie :) Cheers, I cant wait.

Back
Top Bottom