2nd Leg - Stadiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

play it cool

The Fly
Sorry if similar posts have been before.

Does anyone know if the stadium shows will have the same stage set up as the current arena show? Was the Slane show in 2001 (were there any other outdoor gigs on the Elevation tour?) the same as the arena show. This time they are playing a number of stadiums - I wonder what they'll do for these?

they were the same but ALOT bigger, but were hearing different things about this, some people are saying pretty much the same but larger, but i have also heard different stage setup all together, i can imagine the main stage being the same i.e. circular look about it

Hum... i am quite sure that the production for stadium concerts will be very different. At least is what i expect... and what i want.

Squire said:
Hum... i am quite sure that the production for stadium concerts will be very different. At least is what i expect... and what i want.
I'm guesing it won't be that different really... The LED curtains in the stadium's will be just as big and no more then 7...

I'm not sure wether in the stadiums also tickets begind the set were sold... Because if so, they will definately use a true centre stage...

They are, its wider and there is no elipse into the crowd. There will be platforms on the sides of the stage. Basically though the configuration is the standard end stage stadium set up. No ramps or b stages into the crowd. Unless they changed their minds recently and added those elements. But I dont think so.

am pretty sure there will be a elipse, they did it at slane, just made it bigger, wouldnt be very fair if they started cutting back on the stage when we have paid the higher ticket prices

Blue Room said:
They are, its wider and there is no elipse into the crowd. There will be platforms on the sides of the stage. Basically though the configuration is the standard end stage stadium set up. No ramps or b stages into the crowd. Unless they changed their minds recently and added those elements. But I dont think so.
What is you source? Because all the Elevation stadium gig's did have a heart (Slane, Arnhem, Turin)...

they can't use the led curtain, it's for indoor installations only. It's far, far, far too light to be exposed to the wind. I imagine they'll just use static screens or projection screen if they go for a similar setup.

popshopper said:
they can't use the led curtain, it's for indoor installations only. It's far, far, far too light to be exposed to the wind. I imagine they'll just use static screens or projection screen if they go for a similar setup.
Bull! These curtains are more outdoor proof then the Popmart screen was... Also it is a very heavy curtain, altough it may not look that way... Projection screen's as you imagin as the curtain's replacement would even catch more wint!

Infact, I think the curtain's (and the eclipse) are one of the only things we can really be sure of which will be used in the outdoor leg...

they couldnt use a large LED screen due to seats being sold in the stand behind the stage

KUEFC09U2 said:
they couldnt use a large LED screen due to seats being sold in the stand behind the stage

Im not that sure if the seats behind the stage are available in stadiums concerts...

I'm guessing the production will be very similar to what we are seeing now, just on a bigger scale. Probably a couple minor differences but I wouldn't expect to see anything that doesn't mirror the current setup. They're not going to spend all that money to research and develop a new production that only gets used for less then 1/3 of the total tour.

TheFly40 said:
I'm guessing the production will be very similar to what we are seeing now, just on a bigger scale. Probably a couple minor differences but I wouldn't expect to see anything that doesn't mirror the current setup. They're not going to spend all that money to research and develop a new production that only gets used for less then 1/3 of the total tour.
But the only part that has truely been researched and developed are the led curtains.. And they will show up in Europe in the exact same size numbers.. The rest of course is only a larger stage, ramp and maybe some hundred more lights :drool:

isnt it gonna be the smae only a little bit of a bigger elipse and maybe a b stage (like it was on some seating charts of the arena?...evrything else on those charts seem to be correct!)

popshopper said:

Wonder if this will affect cardiff as it has a roof (retractable) if indeed you are correct??

Wow, first post!! :ohmy:

What I was told (from someone very much on the "inside") was that there were indeed two different stage designs -- one for arenas and one for stadiums. This may have changed since then, however.

Blue Room said:

Check out this thread. Look at Headaches post about half way down. The Munich set up show is the official design for Europe as of Feb 2005. Could an elipse be added? Sure, but I doubt it. They have this schematic for the venue so they can prepare for the logistics involved.

http://forum.interference.com/showt...15&highlight=Munich Stage design&pagenumber=9
Oh that picture... Well, this is nearly a seatingchart to point out the sightlines... I have seen many seatingcharts for the US arena's too which also don't resemble the current stage... You are saying this is the official design for Europe? I'm saying it is a seatingchart for Munich Stadium... Why on earth would U2 nót use a catwalk/eclipse this time around :huh:

All I can say is that it would not be overally fair if we Europe and UK gigs did not have a Oval. I am hoping that the stage will be the same or I might just be seeing U2 in the US in the future if that is where the better stages are!!!!!!

Can't see it - it will be the same everywhere....... I hope

Lisa

TheFly40 said:

...but for a bigger number of people...
Example: They have to play 10 concerts in NY's MSG to even compete with London's concerts.

One medium-sized stadium show = 3 or 4 arena shows...
...and as I can see here, 20% or more people on arena shows are the same all the time (in one city)...
...so 1 stadium show means not only more tickets, but also more "diferent" people seeing the show compered to arenas where one person very often goes to all shows available in the place.
---

bathiu said:

...but for a bigger number of people...
Example: They have to play 10 concerts in NY's MSG to even compete with London's concerts.

One medium-sized stadium show = 3 or 4 arena shows...
...and as I can see here, 20% or more people on arena shows are the same all the time (in one city)...
...so 1 stadium show means not only more tickets, but also more "diferent" people seeing the show compered to arenas where one person very often goes to all shows available in the place.
---
But what is medium sized? Amsterdam's stadium can hold up to 50.000 people which comes close to 2 or maybe 3 arena shows... Camp Nou in Barcelona can hold up to 115.000 which is 5 of 6 arena shows...

:p I would say something in between...

But arenas are also in diferent sizes... from the talk here on Interference, some arenas are for 10.000 others for 25.000

...nevermind... the point is: They should make something diferent with the stage in Europe... not like TheFly40 was sugesting.

bathiu said:
They should make something diferent with the stage in Europe... not like TheFly40 was sugesting.
Indeed they should.. And they will probably.. It would really be un-U2 not to really..

Neilz said:
Bull! These curtains are more outdoor proof then the Popmart screen was... Also it is a very heavy curtain, altough it may not look that way...

Uh... Neilz have you been to any of the Vertigo shows yet? Those curtains are made up of nothing more than white balls on a line with LED lights inside them. The band members would walk through them as if they were standard beaded curtains. In an outdoor setting those things would have to be stablized somehow.

Cleasai said:

Uh... Neilz have you been to any of the Vertigo shows yet? Those curtains are made up of nothing more than white balls on a line with LED lights inside them. The band members would walk through them as if they were standard beaded curtains. In an outdoor setting those things would have to be stablized somehow.

I haven't seen them up close, but my Bro works in the staging industry and assures me that the prototype's he's seen were strictly indoor. They are very light as you say, just light plastic and cable. I imagine that the current screens are weighted a little to allow proper deployment.

I reckon we'll get a large back screen (a smaller version of the pop-mart screen, which they own as it was completely custom built) and maybe a couple of modified curtains, in a traditional end stage format with or without an ellipse but certainly with some from of stage extension into the audience.

...beside... what's the use of those curtains if there will be no one behind the stage, like in arenas?

I think the "elipse" will stay, but the stage will be something totaly new to us...

Cleasai said:

Wel no, I haven't :huh:

What does this have to do with having an opinion? I can only judge the bulbs when I have seen them in real life (from 10 meters away!)?

Just for your information.. U2 originally wanted to use this technology for Popmart which was outdoors.. LED's are low voltage diodes, nothing dangerous for using them outdoors! The Popmart screen was more vulnerable as the LED's were directly in contact with rain and wind...

A bulb from this tour looks like this (popshopper, these are nót prototypes anymore) :
MiSPHERE1_L.jpg

As you can clearly see the LED's are overed in plastic and the bulbs are water proof... Why would U2 develope an indoor technology only? This would make no sense! The only problem there could be is wind... But they are strings, not cloth! So even on that subject I don't see any problems...

Last edited:
I cannot see them touring without some extension into the audience.
An end stage with no walkways just doesnt seem the way they would go.
It is an expected feature at most outdoor shows now.

Having seen pictures of the indoor show set up it seems they have enlarged the walk way and made it an even bigger feature of the show. To remove it totally for 30-40 shows off the belt doesnt make sense at all.

The band would feel really cut off from the audience. Havng had walkways and b stages since Zoo tv outside broadcast I just cannot see them taking such a huge step back from there fans.

Back
Top Bottom