Dec. 9, HSBC Arena in Buffalo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where were you when John Lennon was shot?

December 8, 1980, U2 were in Buffalo, NY in one of their first shows in the US in support of the second leg of the Boy Tour. 25 years later they are coming back to Buffalo on December 9th, 2005, perhaps as a way for Bono to honor his favorite song writer John Lennon.

This will be my first U2 concert and perhaps only. I am honored to be going to this concert and will savour every moment.

I can't wait!!!!!! :wave:

This will no doubt be a great show, but in my opinion, its just coincidence on the booking.

He will probably say something about Lennon or Mark David Chapman.

I was 3 and a half then, btw.

Last edited:
Wow...was visiting relatives in Doylestown, PA....my cousin came into my room and told me the next morning. It was like a punch to the stomach. So much sadness. The world was immediately a different place.

:sad:

Well, I remember the night very well, as it deeply affected me.

I was a sophomore in high school, reading for school in my bedroom. My mother was watching Monday Night Football on ABC and when they sadly announced the news. My mom immediately came upstairs to tell me...and I cried very hard and grieved like I'd lost a dear friend. A couple of months before then I had written a religion paper on a fully alive human, John Lennon. His spirit still influences me on a daily basis.

I was at the last Buffalo concert, where Bono mentioned that night 12/8/80 and sang In My Life before swinging into the acoustic "Stuck". I cried.

I'll be at the 12/9/05 show and I know that Bono will honor John once again. That will be very special. I know I'll cry.

In my hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin and I believe I was watching Monday Night Football and Howard Cosell announced it on air. Lennon had been on MNF previously and did a little chit chat with Cosell.

Re: Where were you when John Lennon was shot?

nt2626 said:
December 8, 1980, U2 were in Buffalo, NY in one of their first shows in the US in support of the second leg of the Boy Tour. 25 years later they are coming back to Buffalo on December 9th, 2005, perhaps as a way for Bono to honor his favorite song writer John Lennon.

This will be my first U2 concert and perhaps only. I am honored to be going to this concert and will savour every moment.

Bono actually began the 'In My Life...' snippet at Buffalo Elevation on 5/31/01. He mentioned that they were in Buffalo the night Lennon was shot and it was on their minds in May, so it will undoubtedly will be on their minds on the 25th year anniversary. Wow, that might be a top 10 highlight of the tour...

Re: Where were you when John Lennon was shot?

nt2626 said:

I was at a U2 concert.. no just kidding (sorry.) But I wish!

As stated above... Bono actually began the 'In My Life...' snippet at Buffalo Elevation on 5/31/01. He mentioned that they were in Buffalo the night Lennon was shot and it was on their minds in May, so it will undoubtedly will be on their minds on the 25th year anniversary. Wow, that might be a top 10 highlight of the tour...

i was watching Monday Night Football also. The weekend U2 play MSG on 10/9 would have been Johns 65th birthday . So i bet the MSG shows will be special also.
I wouldnt be surprised if the boys showed up at Strawbeery Fields sometime that weekend!

I was 14 and was laying in bed listening to the radio when I heard...I got up and ran to find my mom, who had just seen it on TV. She was already crying and I started when I saw her. We spent the rest of the night watching news reports :(

I was -6 years old.

And look out, here comes a Beatles cover to waste setlist space ...

I was watching Monday Nite Footballalso.I had to hear that my hero/idol was killed by Howard Cosell.Then around 1983 I started to follow a band call U2.I really believe U2 are the Beatles of our time....I was brought up by Beatle fanatics and they were my fav-until U2.I think this tour they will outdo themselves..Better than ZOO TV/Achtung??I'll be there in SD on 3/28...I'm flying in from CT and spending $1,000 on this little road trip...I'm 47 am I nuts???Well yes I'm nuts about U2.The music has saved me many times.....5 DAYS TILL SHOWTIME!!! I'm flying in at 2:30 and going straight to the arena..I have a floor seat...This will be the bomb

i was at home, watching tv, six years old. Its one of the first things that I can remember

I hate to admit to this, but I was at a friends house smoking reefer...when his mom told us that Lennon had been killed I crashed so hard...I remember we got out Beatle records and played them for hours and talked about how great they were...:(

Sixteen watcing MNF. Howard Cosell says something like, "the great John Lennon has been shot." I dont think his death was confirmed at that point. It was pretty profound for me b/c the Beatles were the "it" group for me. Well, I guess they could say that about millions of people.

I wonder if the Beatles would have ever had a reunion with all the corporate dollars. It'd be hard to say no. I guess the fact they never got back together contributes to their legendary status.

Still miss John profoundly.

Like a lot of others, I was watching the Pats and Dolphins on MNF.
I remember it well, sitting in the kitchen at my parents house, heard the news from Howard Cosell.

I was 5, don't remember it at all.

But I do try to get to Strawberry Fields in Central Park at least once a year.

Yup...i was 16 also, was watching MNF (Dolphins and Pats was it?) and i was so into JL/Beatles.

To me, life is mostly categorized in two time-frames: pre-Dec. 8 and post-Dec. 8. It was just such a huge event. I still have dreams about Lennon and i get to ask him all sorts of stuff ("Have you seen George lately?").

I also consider u2 the "Beatles of our time"...but strictly in the musical-impact sense...don't know if u2 can be categorized as having wider-cultural impacts the Beatles are credited with.

Not that i understand how someone would want to kill a stranger for no good reason, but why don't people like Chapman go for, you know, some other famous wanker instead of someone like Lennon? I don't care, try Bobby Vinton or Neil Sedaka or something.

[Ok, ok, just joking...]

I remember that moment very clearly. I was crying again because I pood in my diapers for the second time that day.
At first it was still a bit warm and soft and comfy, but soon it really became too sticky, stinky and itchy. Luckily for me my mom was quickly there to wash all off so I could continue sleeping happily ever after. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom